First look: Apple's iOS 4.2 golden master with AirPlay, AirPrint, bugs

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple this week released to developers the golden master build of iOS 4.2, bringing iOS 4 features like folders and multitasking to the iPad, and also introducing AirPlay and AirPrint to the iOS line of devices. AppleInsider offers a closer look, including some bugs and issues [updated].

iPad hardware switch changed to mute

One of the most publicized changes to the iPad in iOS 4.2 does not work as some might expect. The hardware switch on the right side of the device has been changed to act as a mute rather than a screen orientation lock, but while flipping the switch displays the "mute" icon on-screen, audio continues to play through the iPad's speaker for activities like music and videos.

AppleInsider tested the golden master build on multiple iPads, and on all of them found that activities such as playing a YouTube video or streaming audio from Pandora failed to mute when the switch is activated.

Update: Several readers have noted that this functionality is identical to the iPhone, where music and other content will output audio even when the mute switch is activated. Muting the iPhone (and now, iPad) only turns off sounds for notifications like e-mails and pushed messages. It is not, as some might expect, a system-wide mute.

Muting the iPhone specifically turns off sounds associated with phone calls and text messages. However, these notifications are not present on the iPad, which does not act as a phone.

A golden master build means that Apple is close to a final, public release of the software. Typically the "gold" distinction indicates the software is final.

iOS 4 comes to iPad

That minor issue aside, just about everything else in iOS 4.2 works as expected, with features that users of iOS 4 and up for the iPhone and iPod touch have already become accustomed to. Folders now make their debut on the iPad, and up to 20 applications can be contained in a folder.

iPad-specific applications will need to be updated to take advantage of the new features in iOS 4, including multitasking. However, universal applications already updated for iOS 4 on the iPhone and iPod touch (including popular software like Pandora) will work in the background as expected -- no updates required.

Double-tapping the home button brings up the multitasking bar, and swiping over to the left gives volume, playback, and lock screen controls. Here, users can also activate AirPlay to send audio or video to the Apple TV, or adjust the brightness of the device.

AirPlay

Though the AirPlay icon is selectable in iOS 4.2 on the iPad, streaming to Apple TV doesn't work yet. Apple will need to issue an update for the Apple TV in order for this feature to become functional.

The AirPlay option doesn't show up unless the iPad detects an Apple TV, and AirPlay is available in any content that uses the integrated media player, including embedded browser videos and stuff from the YouTube app.

For now it appears AirPlay only sends audio. After sending content to an Apple TV, video playback continues to play on the iPad while the audio cuts out.

AirPrint

iOS 4.2 also brings AirPrint to the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. This works as was demonstrated in previous demos, though some applications, including Apple's own Pages, require a software update to add printing support.

Printing requires iTunes 10.1 or Mac OS X 10.6.5, both of which are not available either. It's likely that these updates will be issued alongside the public release of iOS 4.2.

AirPrint also allows messages to be sent from the printer to an iOS device. For example, an iPhone or iPad users can be notified when a remote printer is low on ink, or completely out of toner.

iTunes 10.1

Still a beta, iTunes 10.1 is not without its own problems. The software, in its current form, does not work at all with version 2.0 of Apple's Remote application for the iPad and iPhone.

Users can connect to a library and browse songs, but attempting to remotely play a song gives the error: "The library cannot be found on your network. Please select another library." This issue does not exist with versions of iTunes prior to 10.1, as iOS 4.2 with the Remote application still controls those libraries just fine.

On a PC, iTunes 10.1 is necessary to use AirPrint. On a Mac, support for AirPrint is built in to the forthcoming Mac OS X 10.6.5 build of Snow Leopard.

PC users on Windows 7 will also need to enable a "Guest" account on their machine in order to use AirPrint. Without it, an iOS device asks for a username and password, and cannot wirelessly print through Windows.

For more, see AppleInsider's previous coverage:

First look: Apple's iOS 4.2 for iPad and iPhone

Apple releases iPhone, iPad iOS 4.2 golden master to developers

Apple changes multitasking bar, MobileMe login in iOS 4.2 GM

iOS 4.2 packs new, improved YouTube, FaceTime features and more

Apple's latest iOS 4.2 beta adds SMS tones, disables some AirPlay features

First look: AirPrint wireless printing with Apple's iOS 4.2

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    Inkjet printer is low on "toner"? D'OH!!!!
  • Reply 2 of 60
    Will I finally be able to play my Mac's library on my iPhone?
  • Reply 3 of 60
    I will be very disappointed if they change the orientation switch to a mute button.

I switch orientations on the device constantly. I have zero need to mute audio.
  • Reply 4 of 60
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Re: the mute button 'bug'

Is it possible the apps are using the AVAudioSessionCategoryPlayback or kAudioSessionCategory_MediaPlayback audio session categories, that allow audio to continue playing, even when the hardware switch is set to silent? Isn't that why that category even exists?
  • Reply 5 of 60
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    I hope iTunes 10.1 solves the current photo sync issue between Aperture and iOS devices. Changes made to photos in Aperture are not reflected in the image on the iOS devices after sync, despite iTunes going through the steps of copying over the correct number of modified images sync the last sync. The only current workaround is to delete the ipod photo cache and re-sync your entire photo library in its entirety. Really, really annoying. It's no wonder Apple no longer runs the "It just works" getamac ads.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Strangely, one of the most publicized changes to the iPad in iOS 4.2 doesn't work in the golden master build 8C134 issued this week. The hardware switch on the right side of the device has been changed to act as a mute rather than a screen orientation lock, but while flipping the switch displays the "mute" icon on-screen, audio continues to play through the iPad's speaker.

AppleInsider tested the golden master build on multiple iPads, and on all of them found that activities such as playing a YouTube video or streaming audio from Pandora failed to mute the device.

That's not a bug. Same thing happens on the iPhone, too. Audio specifically requested by the user (and one would expect YouTube videos and Pandora music would fall under that) is allowed to ignore the mute switch. Things like new mail alerts and push notifications will be muted.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Double-tapping the home button brings up the multitasking bar, and swiping over to the left gives volume, playback, and lock screen controls. Here, users can also activate AirPlay to send audio or video to the Apple TV, or adjust the brightness of the device.

If AI’s writers are going to refer to Fast App Switching as the multitasking bar when it’s not a list of apps running in the background and doesn’t affect which apps can and can’t run in the background I guess there is no hope for the general public. I surrender.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

I will be very disappointed if they change the orientation switch to a mute button.

Me too. It’s not a deal breaker, but it seems no one likes this option. It’s not like it was difficult before since holding volume down for a second muted the device. This seems much more pragmatic to me.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    Quote:

Exactly. I have been complaining on the developer forums about this since the first 4.2 beta release. All they need to do is give users the option to change it form mute to orientation lock in the settings. That is all we are asking.

As it stands, to lock (or unlock) the orientation I have to touch the iPod 4 times:

Double-Tap the home button

swipe right to get to the screen where the button is

Click the button on or off.

All that INSTEAD of just hitting a hardware switch on the side of the unit. UGG.

I am the resident Apple whipping boy in my university's CS department and I regularly defend Apple from accusations of limiting choice but this IS a prime example of it. I hope Apple can just give us the choice in the settings for the hardware switch and prove me wrong.
  • Reply 9 of 60
    It's looking increasingly like BBC's iPlayer will AirPlay to AppleTV G2.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    Am I the only one that see's the switch being turned into a mute toggle as evidence that Facetime or ipad2 is coming sooner rather than later. The mute button has less of a use on the current ipad but once ipad 2 comes out it will make as much sense as having it on your iphone. It is to mute notifications which makes it slightly different from the volume button. I see ipad2 being released next quarter and 4.2 just unifies the system now. My guess is if there is a 4.3 released with ipad 2 there will be only slight changes.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    you left off the part that iOS 4.2 devices can print to HP ePrint printers directly. Are these the only printers that it supports?
  • Reply 12 of 60
    I noticed the wording changed this time on the requirements to get Airprint working...

Quote:

Printing requires iTunes 10.1 or Mac OS X 10.6.5, both of which are not available either. It's likely that these updates will be issued alongside the public release of iOS 4.2.

Does this mean I will be able to print through my old PPC mini that I am currently using for hosting printers? As of now all the machines in my house, an old Windows XP Pro Machine and a Macbook Pro 2008 model print through the old ppc mini to a Canon MP450.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nataylor View Post

That's not a bug. Same thing happens on the iPhone, too. Audio specifically requested by the user (and one would expect YouTube videos and Pandora music would fall under that) is allowed to ignore the mute switch. Things like new mail alerts and push notifications will be muted.

nataylor is absolutely right, of course.

Firstly, I have to be honest, Neil, I am shocked that you've never noticed this before on the iPhone in three years of it working in this manner. This is how the mute button's ALWAYS worked on the iPhone, why should it be different with the iPad? Hopefully you can update the post accordingly soon. It's cool. We all make mistakes!

Secondly, I am surprised that so many people are so up-in-arms over the switch being changed to a mute-switch. This is a much-needed update, and it's a long-time coming. Apple has gotten this one right.

I can't tell you how many times I've gone to meetings at work and wanted to mute my iPad. It's annoying in the middle of meetings when reminders are going off and email-notifications are coming in constantly. Before, with 3.2, I would have to open my iPad case, unlock the iPad, then hold down the volume toggle to turn the volume down. Then, after the meeting ends, rinse, repeat.

This switch now becoming the mute switch makes it very simple. Just switch my iPad to mute and switch my iPhone to mute and I'm good to go without messing with my preferred volume levels. It just makes the most sense. I certainly do not use orientation lock as often as I have been using the mute switch with the iPad 4.2 beta the past couple months!

I'm a little suspicious that you guys might have put that incorrect info in the post about the mute switch bug just to get nit-picky people like me to register...hmmm...very clever indeed (;
  • Reply 14 of 60
    This isn't a bug, there is a setting in Settings > Sounds to turn the Volume and Mute On or Off as a phone wide or media only function.

and

Yes, iPad orientation lock is now software based, the orientation lock 'switch' is now mute.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Re: the mute button 'bug'

Is it possible the apps are using the AVAudioSessionCategoryPlayback or kAudioSessionCategory_MediaPlayback audio session categories, that allow audio to continue playing, even when the hardware switch is set to silent? Isn't that why that category even exists?

• Reply 15 of 60
    Quote:

Muting the iPhone (and now, iPad) only turns of sounds for notifications like e-mails and pushed messages. It is not, as some might expect, a system-wide mute.

This is just stupid. I thought Apple was known for its design prowess. They need to rethink this whole thing.

I know Steve Jobs loves to force his vision on us, and he's usually right; but I still want choices. I want to be able to reprogram the orientation lock switch. I want to be able to disable cut-and-paste (it's annoying as all get out). I want to be able to disable multitasking. I don't want a zillion things left running after I close them - or think I'm closing them.

Why can't I have the choice of how my system runs?
  • Reply 16 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by likeafox24 View Post

nataylor is absolutely right, of course.

Secondly, I am surprised that so many people are so up-in-arms over the switch being changed to a mute-switch. This is a much-needed update, and it's a long-time coming. Apple has gotten this one right.

I certainly do not use orientation lock as often as I have been using the mute switch with the iPad 4.2 beta the past couple months!

Well...I understand that some people prefer the mute button, but all I am asking for is the CHOICE to have the button as a mute or orientation lock. Just because YOU don't use it doesn't make necessary for everyone else to need to forget about it too.

I think there will be a grumbling mass of people who are rudely made aware of this once they upgrade to 4.2 when it's released to the public. Apple isn't really letting people know that the feature is going away once they upgrade with no possibility of coming back without jailbreaking.
  • Reply 17 of 60
    I can see where other people are coming from that the mute-button is an advantage under some circumstances. However, I think for the majority of people those situations are simply not likely to happen to them. I use my iPad strictly at home and have no need to have a notifications mute. Maybe if it was a system-wide mute it'd be better but for right now if i want mute i just hold the volume down button for a second and it's muted.

Please let it be an option to either be system-wide or an orientation lock!

I can also see people not knowing how to lock orientation after this update... (who would instinctively think to double tap home, slide to the left in order to lock orientation?)
  • Reply 18 of 60
    Quote:

I was just thinking that with the orientation lock now being a mute switch for only system notifications like the iPhone 4, it may not be exactly what everyone wants, but it seems like it gives a little more versatility. Now you will obviously be able to lock the orientation with software, and mute all the audio like you have before by holding down the rocker for a few seconds, but additionally, you will now be able to mute only notifications by flipping the switch, something that could only be done before through settings if I'm not mistaken. This seems like it could come in handy for when you're watching movies or listening to music and don't want new email notifications and things ringing and interrupting you. I know it still might not be many people's favorite new "feature," but I just think it gives a few new options that weren't available before.

My two cents for what it's worth.
  • Reply 19 of 60
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iTunes 10.1

Still a beta, iTunes 10.1 is not without its own problems. The software, in its current form, does not work at all with version 2.0 of Apple's Remote application for the iPad and iPhone.

Users can connect to a library and browse songs, but attempting to remotely play a song gives the error: "The library cannot be found on your network. Please select another library." This issue does not exist with versions of iTunes prior to 10.1, as iOS 4.2 with the Remote application still controls those libraries just fine.

Works fine with 10.1b... Worst "First Look" ever.

• Reply 20 of 60
    "Toner replaced with C4"

A mute button is critical on phones not iPad. Sooooooo my guess is they are prepping software for next gen iPad for Facetime so you can silence the ring.