First look: Apple's iOS 4.2 golden master with AirPlay, AirPrint, bugs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcZero View Post

Exactly. I have been complaining on the developer forums about this since the first 4.2 beta release. All they need to do is give users the option to change it form mute to orientation lock in the settings. That is all we are asking.

As it stands, to lock (or unlock) the orientation I have to touch the iPod 4 times:

Double-Tap the home button

swipe right to get to the screen where the button is

Click the button on or off.

All that INSTEAD of just hitting a hardware switch on the side of the unit. UGG.

I am the resident Apple whipping boy in my university's CS department and I regularly defend Apple from accusations of limiting choice but this IS a prime example of it. I hope Apple can just give us the choice in the settings for the hardware switch and prove me wrong.

When the iPad was first announced it was going to be a mute switch. I wonder if people would have cried out for a hardware orientation lock? When I think of something I want to do in a hurry, muting is much higher on my list than orientation. Imagine using your iPad in a public place, and a web page plays audio that was not what you expected, or if you want to use it in a meeting at work? The hardware mute switch is much more useful here.

How often do you need to lock the orientation of you iPhone? Do you lay down and read sideways several times per day?

Honestly though, why do you bother defending Apple - your colleagues aren't interested in learning anything and they're just trying to rile you up. Just tell them to use what they want to use, and you use what you want to use. Apple-trolling is childish and not worth the effort.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

This is just stupid. I thought Apple was known for its design prowess. They need to rethink this whole thing.

How is it stupid? It sounds like a great way to turn off all of the alert type notifications while you are watching a movie or listening to music. There's a difference between sound you actively play and sound that is event generated.

the orientation lock is simple enough to get to through the UI, why should it work differently on some iOS devices than it does on others?
  • Reply 23 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WHBoulware View Post

This isn't a bug, there is a setting in Settings > Sounds to turn the Volume and Mute On or Off as a phone wide or media only function.

Is this in 4.2? I can't find it in 4.1 and wish I could make it systemwide rather than excluding media.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

How often do you need to lock the orientation of you iPhone? Do you lay down and read sideways several times per day?

I'm not quite as worked up as other commenters but would note that iPad requires an orientation lock much more than the phone as I find I use mine in indeterminate positions and I use it for much longer stretches than I use the phone. The longer one holds something, the more likely to have a shift that will be interpreted as an orientation trigger. So I find the phone rarely flips on me unexpectedly while the pad seems to do so more frequently. But agree that if it had not started as an orientation lock, no one would have noticed.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

This is just stupid. I thought Apple was known for its design prowess. They need to rethink this whole thing.

I know Steve Jobs loves to force his vision on us, and he's usually right; but I still want choices. I want to be able to reprogram the orientation lock switch. I want to be able to disable cut-and-paste (it's annoying as all get out). I want to be able to disable multitasking. I don't want a zillion things left running after I close them - or think I'm closing them.

Why can't I have the choice of how my system runs?

They obviously do it just to annoy you, personally.
  • Reply 26 of 60
    Quote:

For now it appears AirPlay only sends audio. After sending content to an Apple TV, video playback continues to play on the iPad while the audio cuts out.

huh? That's really really really really really lame...no wait...add another really on there.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Muting the iPhone specifically turns off sounds associated with phone calls and text messages. However, these notifications are not present on the iPad, which does not act as a phone.

Okay, I'm nitpicking, but this implies that there are no notifications on iPad at all, but what about e-mail, calendar, local notifications and push notifications, especially now with VoIP backgrounding etc? My girlfriend's iPad goes off all day.

Now, in terms of it doing only muting notifications, then the icon they used on earlier beta of the iPad 4.2 was more accurate ,as it matched the crossed out bell icon used on the iPhone. However, now it's a crossed out speaker, which implies that all sound will be muted.. which of course is not the case at all.

But to respond to the mute switch, it does annoy me. I'm thinking that Apple "made a mistake" with initially making this the orientation lock, and now they are trying to "fix the mistake" to make it more "consistent" with the iOS line of products, but the damage has already been done and just about everyone is accustomed to using this as an orientation lock. That's not to say we won't all adapt to this change eventually, however you could keep the consistency by making this switch configurable across the entire iOS line.... cause honestly, orientation lock switch on iPhone would be nice too :P
  • Reply 28 of 60
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post

huh? That's really really really really really lame...no wait...add another really on there.

That's because it needs an AppleTV update...
  • Reply 29 of 60
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Is it difficult to research first before jumping to conclusions?
  • Reply 30 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Is it difficult to research first before jumping to conclusions?

Virtually impossible.
  • Reply 31 of 60
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

Am I the only one that see's the switch being turned into a mute toggle as evidence that Facetime or ipad2 is coming sooner rather than later. The mute button has less of a use on the current ipad but once ipad 2 comes out it will make as much sense as having it on your iphone. It is to mute notifications which makes it slightly different from the volume button. I see ipad2 being released next quarter and 4.2 just unifies the system now. My guess is if there is a 4.3 released with ipad 2 there will be only slight changes.

I think it is evidence that it was always intended to be a mute toggle. Portrait orientation locking (software) was introduced with iOS 4, which was not nearly ready when iPad was released. But, for a device like the iPad, an orientation lock is critical, so they repurposed the mute switch to be a orientation lock, temporarily until iOS was ready for iPad. Now it is being reverted to it original, intended purpose. The whole iOS ecosystem is meant to operate as identically as possible between devices. It was a significant divergence/discrepancy for the iPad's hardware switch to serve a completely different purpose than that of the iPhone and iPod. This is now being corrected. IMO.
  • Reply 32 of 60
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

A mute button is critical on phones not iPad. Sooooooo my guess is they are prepping software for next gen iPad for Facetime so you can silence the ring.

That's a very good deduction. In that case changing the button's function is legitimate even if in the actual state it not useful at all. I've been using the beta for more than one month (and would never return back!) and I touched the mute button maybe 2 times. One the contrary I regret the change, since I often turn my iPad and have to double click and scroll every time... Seems more logical to me that something as physical as block an orientation of the screen should be attached to a physical button. I'm under the impression that almost everybody prefers this way.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    I did not know there was an orientation lock available with a left swipe after double-clicking the home button on the iPhone! Cool.

Thanks, AI....

• Reply 34 of 60
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I'm probably in the minority, but I don't give a rat's a** about the orientation lock. I set it to landscape and forgot about it.
  • Reply 35 of 60
    Mute Switch/Orientation Lock

Well, the discussion has gotten a bit better.

Of course, I would LOVE to have the choice, no argument there.

My contention is this. 95% of the time, when you want to lock the orientation, the iPad screen will be on and unlocked. Then you are just a double-tap and a swipe away from orientation lock. On the other hand, however, 83.2% of the time, when I want to mute all sounds (heading into a meeting, listening to music), the screen is off and locked. Being able to mute quickly with my iPad case lid closed is a HUGE advantage.

I think what Apple is doing will be for the best for most users. BUT should we have the choice? ABSOLUTELY.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I did not know there was an orientation lock available with a left swipe after double-clicking the home button on the iPhone! Cool.

Thanks, AI....

Yes, however it will ONLY lock in portrait on the iPhone /: I was sad about this as there are a few apps that I like to use in landscape only (swapping back/forth). I thought they would just rotate the multitasking menu app icons when locked in landscape. No go though. )':
  • Reply 37 of 60
    Hi all, longtime reader and newly registered -

Could someone confirm for me if iOS Airplay will or will not stream audio to an Airport Express? I thought this would be the most basic feature and something I've been waiting to see for a long time, and I would be shocked if it were omitted from Airplay. I don't see it mentioned in the article.

Thanks!
  • Reply 38 of 60
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    They really need to let users customize that orientation switch. When I take the iPad away from the Bluetooth keyboard and enter an app and realize BT is on I want to fling the iPad across the room. Quit the app, settings, turn off BT, quit, back to my app.....or just flick that switch...

That Bluetooth keyboard reaches my iPad upstairs and across the house.
  • Reply 39 of 60
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

I will be very disappointed if they change the orientation switch to a mute button.

I switch orientations on the device constantly. I have zero need to mute audio.

If you switch constantly wouldn't you be better off not locking orientation?
  • Reply 40 of 60
    dmfettdmfett Posts: 141member
    Ok all, will the 4.2 fix my battery from being drained so bad since going to IOS 4.1?

There was no talk about that in the story...

Also will 4.2 work on my 2nd Gen touch?