First look: Apple's iOS 4.2 golden master with AirPlay, AirPrint, bugs

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by likeafox24 View Post

Yes, however it will ONLY lock in portrait on the iPhone /: I was sad about this as there are a few apps that I like to use in landscape only (swapping back/forth). I thought they would just rotate the multitasking menu app icons when locked in landscape. No go though. )':

I'm guessing this is because there is no requirement on iPhone/iPod Touch to have all orientations, and many apps do not (most of the system apps do not, including your homescreen and lockscreen!)

And thus a landscape lock would not be a true lock, because you couldn't enforce it on 80% of things anyway
  • Reply 42 of 60
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Love the screencap used for AirPlay. Last pitch of the SF Giants' domination of the Texas "Toast" Rangers.
  • Reply 43 of 60
    off topic, but maybe some developer could answer this for me.

Why cant apps simply have a "Quit" button?

saves me closing it and then at times during the day, going into the app switcher and closing apps one by one that i know i wont use for a day or 2 again.

most of the times with games etc, when i am done it would great to just press Quit and have the app close fully.
  • Reply 44 of 60
    Oh. That horrid mute button issue.

Sorry apple, but this is a dumb move. I won't go into it yet again why.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    Has anyone figured out how the heck the volume and brightness adjustments are going to fit along with play/pause/iPod/orientation lock ON AN IPHONE? There's no space there as it is now...
  • Reply 46 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seanie248 View Post

off topic, but maybe some developer could answer this for me.

saves me closing it and then at times during the day, going into the app switcher and closing apps one by one that i know i wont use for a day or 2 again.

most of the times with games etc, when i am done it would great to just press Quit and have the app close fully.

Because we (us developers) have no control of what is in the multitasking bar. Most of the time the apps do quit but it just stays in the multitasking bar because it was recently used. Removing it doesn't do anything at all so there is no point in doing that.
  • Reply 47 of 60
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Seriously three pages of chat about a minor feature. That is pathetic edpeciwlly considering the trivial nature of the discussion, my iPhone mute switch has been broken fir over a year now and you know what: I DON'T CARE!

This is supposedly a thread about the new features in IOS and alll we getvis three pages of mindless chatter about nothing. How about reports on performance, Air Print, Air Play, battery life or any of the other enhancements. For that matter how does this version work on other iOS devices. Some of us want to know about the meat and potatoes, the water that makes up the broth is of no concern.

Dave
  • Reply 48 of 60
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    I don't own an iPad. But I do own an iPhone 4, and when I get my iPad 2.0, I'll expect the buttons to work the way they do on my iPhone 4.

And I'm pretty sure that's what Apple has in mind. Just sayin'.
  • Reply 49 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

I will be very disappointed if they change the orientation switch to a mute button.

I switch orientations on the device constantly. I have zero need to mute audio.

How the heck are you going to be disappointed when it has already been confirmed already - so in other words you are disappointed not 'will be', 'will be' assumes that the details are unknown. The details are known therefore you are disappointed.
  • Reply 50 of 60
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by likeafox24 View Post

Mute Switch/Orientation Lock

Being able to mute quickly with my iPad case lid closed is a HUGE advantage.

Can't that be achieved by holding the "volume down" button as some people suggest?
  • Reply 51 of 60
    An issue I've found in the iOS 4.2 GM is that when you try to delete an e-mail from the mail app, when it's in vertical mode, the app crashes..
  • Reply 52 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

I want to be able to disable multitasking. I don't want a zillion things left running after I close them - or think I'm closing them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seanie248 View Post

Both of you have fallen into a common misunderstanding about how "multitasking" on iOS works. Just because an app is listed in the app switcher doesn't mean it is still running. The vast majority of them are in a frozen state, not using CPU cycles and only using minimal amounts of memory. If the OS needs the memory, it will kill the least recently used app and reclaim its memory. The only apps that can actually run a thread in the background are audio playback, GPS, and VoIP. Other apps can request a limited amount of time to complete a finite task (e.g., finish uploading photos to Flickr) when you quit them, but the OS will kill them after a few short minutes if they don't quit on their own.

So, the bottom line is, if there is not a playback arrow or a GPS arrow in the top right corner of the screen, then chances are nothing is actually running in the background of your phone. iOS is very good at managing background tasks intelligently. You really don't need to worry about it.
  • Reply 53 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

I will be very disappointed if they change the orientation switch to a mute button.

I switch orientations on the device constantly. I have zero need to mute audio.

Same here. I've seen some e-mail traffic from Steve Jobs stating that the switch to mute is definite. Why can't that be a user setting to either choose mute or rotation lock?
  • Reply 54 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Can't that be achieved by holding the "volume down" button as some people suggest?

Well, that would be nice, but actually, when locked with no audio playing, the volume buttons are disabled?just like on the iPhone. Thus, with 3.2 on the iPad, I would have to open my iPad case, unlock the iPad, then hold down the volume toggle to turn the volume down. Then, after my meeting ends, rinse, repeat. The mute switch allows me to control this gracefully and without drawing attention to myself.

It's an admittedly small advantage, but it's more important to have a physical button for the mute switch than for the orientation lock since the only times you'll use the orientation lock will be when the iPad is already unlocked meaning you're a double tap and swipe away from the software orientation lock (:
  • Reply 55 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djbouche View Post

I'm guessing this is because there is no requirement on iPhone/iPod Touch to have all orientations, and many apps do not (most of the system apps do not, including your homescreen and lockscreen!)

And thus a landscape lock would not be a true lock, because you couldn't enforce it on 80% of things anyway

It's a good point, and likely the reason Apple made the decision, but I think the phone could simply lock into landscape if and only if the app has a landscape option.

Not really a big deal, but like most things with Apple, they dictate these sorts of details when I'd prefer to have an option even if it's not enabled by default.
  • Reply 56 of 60
    nitronitro Posts: 91member
    IOS 4.2 is quite slow on wifi. when i upgraded from 3.2.2 wifi connection is sluggish. i reset the router and started over but wifi very slow.

sent from IPAD
  • Reply 57 of 60
    So, ah, when can we expect a public release at this point? One week? Two weeks?

I desperately need folders on my iPad now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmfett View Post

Ok all, will the 4.2 fix my battery from being drained so bad since going to IOS 4.1?

There was no talk about that in the story...

Also will 4.2 work on my 2nd Gen touch?

I was unaware there was a battery issue with 4.1... I've been running it splendidly since its release. Haven't charged it in two days, with mild to heavy use, and watched two movies--still over half a charge left. Is your problem common?
  • Reply 58 of 60
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmfett View Post

Ok all, will the 4.2 fix my battery from being drained so bad since going to IOS 4.1?

There was no talk about that in the story...

Also will 4.2 work on my 2nd Gen touch?

I had major batter life problems on my 2nd Gen touch with 4.0, but they got significantly better with 4.1
  • Reply 59 of 60
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Ever since I upgraded to 4.2, I can no longer send pix via MMS, but I can receive them. After I downgraded to 4.1, everything's back to normal.

Anyone else having problems with 4.2 GM?
  • Reply 60 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nitro View Post

IOS 4.2 is quite slow on wifi. when i upgraded from 3.2.2 wifi connection is sluggish. i reset the router and started over but wifi very slow.

sent from IPAD

What brand router do you have? I have a Belkin Basic and found that the update to 1.0.17 caused major problems so I went back to the default firmware but 1.0.22 is really stable. You may want to check out the firmware whether there is an update - the iOS update might have sparked off a bug in your router.