Should HOV lanes be disallowed?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Here in Seattle we have the #2 Worst Traffic in the country according to some Analysts. This is not because of an immense amount of people but rather VERY poor road design IMO. I have noticed that HOV lanes do not help overall traffic and in many ways they encourage too many lane changes as people "rush" to the HOV lanes(they're pretty damn aggresive). I'm beginning to think HOV lanes are useless and more trouble than they are worth. Most people work varying shifts and live in distant neihbhorhoods from each other. The HOV "concept" is not working here. Should it be disbanded? Of course I mean in YOUR locality...we already know Seattle sucks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I think they should, at least, open the HOV lanes during non-rush hour times to anyone.

Here in SoCal, even during non-rush hour, things can be a bit clogged and congested. And if it's 10:00pm and I'm by myself, I look over and there's an entire lane not being used, except for the occasional car with 2 or 3 people in it.

I don't know. I do know this: SOMETHING has got to give, and soon.

It's just getting ridiculous out here (as in most major metro areas, I would imagine). So many people moving into the same little patch of the planet. I freak out sometimes at how long it takes me to travel a couple of miles...between traffic lights every 20 feet and a gazillion people all fighting for the same off-ramp, jeez...

I'm basically for ANYTHING that improves traffic flow and reduced congestion and will eliminate the instances of sitting on the interstate and doing a blazing 17mph.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    A few cities do open their HOV lanes during off-peak hours. I know Florida does, and I know Atlanta doesn't. But opening up one single extra lane of traffic isn't going to solve the problems of these cities, and I doubt it's going to make a terribly noticeable impact. Something needs to be done, and I don't think anyone has a good answer yet.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    pushermanpusherman Posts: 410member
    sorry, i'm from the rural south. what's a hov lane?

at least where i've lived, the problem is absolutely poor road design. savannah is the worst, with our road engineering done apparently by some cracked up georgia tech students (i'm not kidding).

(edit: lane...not line...)

[ 04-05-2002: Message edited by: poor taylor ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 12
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Most places open up their HOV lanes during off-peak hours. 10 AM - 3 PM here. I find most traffic a combination of poorly designed on-ramps / off-ramps and bad driving, not HOV lanes.

[ 04-05-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 12
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Yes. HOV's are nice. Still, very few people carpool in the DC area anyway. The best design I've seen is on i-95 south of DC where the HOV lanes are in the center, walled off from the rest of the road.

It's fun travelling on them during peak hours, flying down the highway watching everyone else sit in traffic.

I'm more in tune to the idea of "Lexus Lanes" though. Being a die-hard capitalist, that is to me the best way to equalize road demand.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    [quote]Originally posted by poor taylor:

<strong>sorry, i'm from the rural south. what's a hov lane?</strong><hr></blockquote>

High Occupancy Vehicle Lane

The lane is reserved for vehicles carrying at least two people ? a driver and a passenger of any age ? plus buses and motorcycles.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    [quote]<strong>HOV's are nice. Still, very few people carpool in the DC area anyway.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Realy? Seems like there's a fair amount of people using the slug lines. For example when my father used to wait for the bus people would drive up and offer to drive him to the Pentagon. Find two guys in uniform (not hard where I lived) and you had HOV on 395. My father in law car pools all the time and started a slug line where he lives.

[ 04-05-2002: Message edited by: Scott H. ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 12
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    [quote]I'm basically for ANYTHING that improves traffic flow and reduced congestion and will eliminate the instances of sitting on the interstate and doing a blazing 17mph.<hr></blockquote>

pscates, sounds like you're FOR HOV lanes...

Cities have a responsibility to have viable, speedy, inexspensive, comprehensive public transit. It can really make or break a city. I mean look at LA.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Chicago has "express" lanes. Anyone (not trucks) can use them. If you're out in the burbs and you get into the express lane you can't get off for several miles. It seems to work well. Keeps some traffic moving a bit better.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Yes.

We have them here in Southern Calif. The HOV lanes are located in the far left lane of the freeways. When people first enter a freeway, they quite often make an mad dash to the left side of the freeway so they don't miss the 1st HOV lane entrance. These unsafe actions tend to slow down the people in the regular lanes as we try to avoid hitting their cars.

Having HOV lanes results in less regular lanes for everyone else and you end up with more traffic moving slower in the regular lanes. This problem though, is not a mistake. Its a way to get more people to carpool by making driving more unpleasent so that you carpool. Its called social engineering.

Liberals look at cars as evil, a plague on the planet. So they are doing whatever they can in the name of the enviroment to make driving a misery and more expensive (by expensive, I'm referring to them wanting gas to cost &gt; $5.00 per gallon).
  • Reply 11 of 12
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    [quote]Originally posted by sc_markt:

<strong>Yes.

We have them here in Southern Calif. The HOV lanes are located in the far left lane of the freeways. When people first enter a freeway, they quite often make an mad dash to the left side of the freeway so they don't miss the 1st HOV lane entrance. These unsafe actions tend to slow down the people in the regular lanes as we try to avoid hitting their cars.

Having HOV lanes results in less regular lanes for everyone else and you end up with more traffic moving slower in the regular lanes. This problem though, is not a mistake. Its a way to get more people to carpool by making driving more unpleasent so that you carpool. Its called social engineering.

Liberals look at cars as evil, a plague on the planet. So they are doing whatever they can in the name of the enviroment to make driving a misery and more expensive (by expensive, I'm referring to them wanting gas to cost &gt; $5.00 per gallon).</strong><hr></blockquote>

While I like to make fun of liberals as much as anyone, HOV lanes are not part of an entirely liberal concept. If people do take HOV seriously, then that's a 50% reduction of vehicles on the road. Even a 10% reduction helps to some extent. And it's not about cars being evil for me, it's about taxes being evil. If I can do something so simple as carpooling that will. . .

1) reduce my gasoline budget

2) reduce the need to divert more tax money to highway maintenance and expansion, eventually contributing to raises in taxes.

. . . then I will be interested. HOV lanes act as an incentive to carpool, which will reduce the cost of (2).

Of course I'm all for the eventual privitization of the road system.

[ 04-06-2002: Message edited by: Splinemodel ]</p>