Apple increasing US iTunes music previews to 90 seconds

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Nope, people call Cd lossless but it's just another "uncompressed" digital format. Compared to reality, CD has poor resolution and poor frequency response. Some people can eAsily hear digital artifacts from the CD dithering process.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Nope, people call Cd lossless but it's just another "uncompressed" digital format. Compared to reality, CD has poor resolution and poor frequency response. Some people can eAsily hear digital artifacts from the CD dithering process.

And combined with poor CD mastering, some CDs are actually not very good in terms of sound quality.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Fantastic. Now just sell Apple Lossless files and you will have a customer for life.

Their 256 AAC files are encoded very well, but I would like the full experience.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Hopefully they change movie rental from 24 hours to 30 hours too.

Absolutely! I'd be renting far more movies if I knew I could finish it the next night, should life or sleep have other plans halfway through the film.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

At the end of the day, CDs are still better than the iTunes versions. People can also easily hear the difference between CDs and iTunes music as well.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

CDs are not lossless, smart a$$

Frequency response on a CD is larger than your ears can hear, 20 Hz to 22 KHz. The problem (as I understand it) is that they add extra high frequency noise that has to be killed with a "brick wall" filter at 22 KHz, and that brick wall filter evidently has effects in the audible band.

96 KHz sampling rate moves the filter to 48 KHz, and SACD needs no brick wall filter.

But all the information exists on the CD - go listen to a good CD mastering on a $12K Naim CD player, it sounds as good as a good LP.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    I don't even bother anymore listening to samples of iTunes songs. Yes, they are/were to short and the part that is selected is not usually a good sample of the song. So unless I know the song already i don't waste my time.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

"Lossy" and "lossless" apply to compression. How can an uncompressed stream be described with a term for compression? "Some people" has never been proven with blind testing. It's all been hearsay. By your standards, anything that loses quality is "lossy," so there is no such thing as "lossless" because there is no method of recording that can capture every nuance of reality. Certainly not vinyl.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    The music and movie industry doesnt give a crap about the consumer. They are antiquated relics of a time gone buy. They are stuck in the 20th century and would never go for something like this. Thats why they are losing sales, and why the independent labels are growing in spades. Its time for Warner Music, BMG, Sony and the like to go the way of the dinosaur and let modern technology flourish!