Apple details iPhone alarm clock bug in support document

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has published a support document on its website in an effort to help users who have been affected by an iPhone issue that caused alarms to go off an hour late in Europe this week.

The new support document, published on Wednesday, comes days after Apple made headlines with an iPhone bug that caused repeating alarm clocks to go off late across Europe. The issue occurred because of a change from daylight saving time, and could repeat itself in the U.S. on Sunday when America concludes daylight saving.

Apple's documentation notes that users can resolve the issue by setting the repeat interval on an alarm to "Never." If users reset their alarm every day, the daylight saving bug will not affect them.

The support note says that after daylight saving ends in the U.S. on Nov. 7, users will be able to set their alarms to repeat again. The iOS issue affects the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 3G, as well as the fourth-, third- and second-generation iPod touch models.

In October, the same bug caused alarm clocks in New Zealand to go off an hour early. Apple said it was aware of the issue and had already developed a software fix, but it has not yet been released.

This week, Apple released the golden master of iOS 4.2, the next software update for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, to developers. Golden master status suggests that the software is finalized and a release to the public is imminent. It's possible that Apple could release the software update before this Sunday, allowing users who update their iPhone to iOS 4.2 to avoid the daylight saving bug.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The support note says that after daylight saving begins in the U.S. on Nov. 7, users will be able to set their alarms to repeat again.

I think you mean to say "...after daylight saving ends in the U.S...."
  • Reply 2 of 27
    My iPhone has been set to a repeating alarm for some time, and it woke me up an hour early on Monday and Tuesday of this week (the 1st and the 2nd of November). It was the same repeating alarm I use every day, set to 6:30am on weekdays. Monday and Tuesday it woke my wife and I up at 5:30am.

The iPhone indicated the correct time (5:30am), but the alarm was set for 6:30am and the alarm still went off at 5:30am. I tested it at work by creating a new alarm set for an hour ahead but it did not go off.

I did several things to make it stop, and one of those fixed it because it's fine now. I deleted the alarm entry and created a new one, and then I also "Restored" the iPhone and re-synced.

Daniel
  • Reply 3 of 27
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Would be nice if they just fixed it rather than giving people tips!
  • Reply 4 of 27
    jm6032jm6032 Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Would be nice if they just fixed it rather than giving people tips!

I agree. I think this falls really really deep into a "rich user experience" category. In my opinion, for as long as Apple has known about this problem, to let another daylight savings event go by without a fix is absurd.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's documentation notes that users can resolve the issue by setting the repeat interval on an alarm to "Never." If users reset their alarm every day, the daylight saving bug will not affect them.

Or just set your alarm to an hour earlier/later?
  • Reply 6 of 27
    nicenice Posts: 1member
    Setting the alarm earlier or later does defeat the point of having an alarm.

I tried the earlier suggestion of setting new alarms and it didn't work. What did work was turning off the Set Automatically for the Date/Time and all my alarms are going off at the correct time.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Great

I can use this as an excuse to be an hour late for work tomorrow.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    Or just buy a $5-$10 alarm clock and use your iOS device for something more sophisticated.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Good thing I use the 4.2 GM that doesn't have this issue.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Great

I can use this as an excuse to be an hour late for work tomorrow.

• Reply 11 of 27
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Well so far I don't suffer from this little bug. I use my native alarm clock on my iphone everyday and it works just fine.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

Well so far I don't suffer from this little bug. I use my native alarm clock on my iphone everyday and it works just fine.

So, you didn't even to bother to read the article before posting?

Welcome to AI!

• Reply 13 of 27
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

Or just buy a $5-$10 alarm clock and use your iOS device for something more sophisticated.

If it can't handle something as simple as an alarm clock what makes you think I would trust it with "something more sophisticated".
  • Reply 14 of 27
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    ...And I'm still amazed with excuses some people are willing to pull out for Apple.

Really, people..?
  • Reply 15 of 27
    How many iPhone and iPod touch users are subscribing to AppleInsider and other boards to become aware of this problem? Apple knows exactly what iDevices our household has and they could easily send out an e-mail to the registered addresses. Have they done it? No! My 12-year old woke up 1 hour early on Monday and Tuesday at which point I started searching the web for solutions. He has an iPod Touch 2gen.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by awmawm View Post

Have they done it? No! My 12-year old woke up 1 hour early on Monday and Tuesday at which point I started searching the web for solutions. He has an iPod Touch 2gen.

Good, maybe your kid won't be so lazy to wake up next time.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    trying using an old WIndows powered mobile phone - alarms going off at all hours - that's a feature.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grobelaar View Post

trying using an old WIndows powered mobile phone - alarms going off at all hours - that's a feature.

Nooo, the alarms don't go off because they run out of battery before morning. lol
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Living in Kentucky and on EST time.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    This is a well known and documented feature as it occurred a month previously in Australia and New Zealand where we began daylight saving at the beginning of october.

This is now an annual event as the registry in Washington sometimes doesn't agree with our local decision.

The server provides a different time than our out Eastern Standard Summer time

microsoft did the same a year or two ago.

There was a mismatch of a week where all outlook and iCal appointments were an hour out.

This glitch is just the latest in server supplied time keeping.

though the fix is relatively simple.

set a new alarm an hour later!

simple really...

reminds me of the old saw..

Which is more accurate a clock which loses a second per day or a clock which is stopped??

the stopped clock has the correct time twice a day..