Sensational lawsuit accuses Apple of turning iPhone 3G into "iBrick"

Comments

• Reply 41 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

Holy crap, man, you are angry.

Apple probably didn't design iOS4 to slow down old old phones, but they probably didn't work *that* hard to avoid it. But keep in mind, people, that the iPhone 3G has a quarter of the RAM that the iPhone 4 has, and *will* act as such, even with a lot of optimizing. It's like trying to upgrade any old computer to a new OS, except phones have a far shorter life cycle than computers. But guess what? If you're going to join an Apple-related forum to write some rage-fueled post about how much you hate Apple, then when you move to the Evo, we won't miss you.

Word of advice before you go, though; if you're going to swear, inserting an asterisk in the middle of a word doesn't do a fucking thing. (see how I did that?) If you're afraid of offending someone, that is not the way to avoid it.

And by the way, as iTunes now has DRM-free music, you can indeed put your music on any computer that you want.

Angry? No i'm F U C K I N G pissed. So pissed in fact that I went through the hassle of signing up for this shit site to maybe help some of you retards see through the Kool-aid inebriation you all have in common. (fat chance- hu?)

And thanks for the advice, you clearly have a strangle hold on the obvious. Most sites won't allow profanity, thus the... ugh- nevermind

PS- who's "we"? you and the turd in your pocket? Get over yourself man
  • Reply 42 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SuperDuperCheese View Post

iPhone 3G is two years ago...they can't expect apple to contiunue supporting it like the 3Gs and 4

I actually do expect my device to be supported for more than just two years. I don't know about you, but a disposable iDevice is not what I want to spend my money on.
  • Reply 43 of 176
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

I'm not all that law-knowledgeable, but I do know that a lot of legal strategy is based on 'persuasion'. Exaggeration is part of that -- to sway a judge or jury's emotions.

We're not talking about an "it's my word against yours" type situation here. Exaggerate all you like about how bad your phone functions, but when it comes down to it, you'll have to demonstrate just how poorly your phone functions. If you can't, it won't matter how much you exaggerated, you'll be on the losing end of that lawsuit.
  • Reply 44 of 176
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

Me, I think that they just screwed up. It is happening more and more often as they grow bigger and bigger.

I've seen you say that in other threads as well and I disagree. Apple makes mistakes. They make some big mistakes a few times a year. I don't see any exponential trend however. Business is complicated; when every new product you sell is bought by millions of people around the world in the first month, problems will surface quickly and noisily. Apple tends to deal with problems in atypical ways, but they are quite consistent in their quirkiness.
  • Reply 45 of 176
    I highly doubt Apple deliberately built iOS 4 to brick the 3G but I will say it crushed my wife's phone. I told her not to upgrade because I was reading all the issues with it but when she hooked it up to her Mac and the upgrade ability came up my daughter told her to do it. Well because of that she now has a shiny new iPhone 4. Of course I downgraded her back to 3.1.2, Jailbroke it, unlocked it and sold it on Ebay for $180, near the cost of her new phone so all is well but I can see where the plaintiffs are coming from, she was so mad with her phone she stopped carrying it.
  • Reply 46 of 176
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by popawheelie View Post

But now, I'm motivated, and guess what? I don't negotiate with terrorists either. So come November 21, when the shit service contract from AT&T expires on this now VERY shitty phone, I roll into the local Sprint office and buy a new Evo. Is it a better phone? I don't give a rip- but I'm not being held hostage by a F*cking electronic devices company.

Wow! You need to get a life if you've let an electronics company hold your life hostage. I've been an Apple user and customer for over 25 years and I've never had the life shattering issues you seem to be having. Honestly, I don't even see how that could ever happen? Perhaps I live a normal life and only use electronics to enhance certain aspects of it?
  • Reply 47 of 176
    ...nvm
  • Reply 48 of 176
    nvm..
  • Reply 49 of 176
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    One word: fragmentation.
  • Reply 50 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fartheststar View Post

exactly, not the roundabout way I had to do it.

Well, might be roundabout, but pretty straight forward nonetheless. Here's the one I used: http://www.iphonehacks.com/2010/07/h...-os-3-1-3.html
  • Reply 51 of 176
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Wrong they should support it! Is your car more than 2 years old? Do you think it should be supported? Or should the auto manufacturer say you should upgrade to an newer model?

I don't really agree with the lawsuit but c'mon...Apple should support their products....2 years is NOT a long time.....

2 years is certainly not a long time when some places (like here in Canada) have 3 year cell contracts. Apple (and other mobile OEMs) should be supporting their mobile devices for at least 3-4 years.
  • Reply 52 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

I highly doubt Apple deliberately built iOS 4 to brick the 3G but I will say it crushed my wife's phone. I told her not to upgrade because I was reading all the issues with it but when she hooked it up to her Mac and the upgrade ability came up my daughter told her to do it. Well because of that she now has a shiny new iPhone 4. Of course I downgraded her back to 3.1.2, Jailbroke it, unlocked it and sold it on Ebay for $180, near the cost of her new phone so all is well but I can see where the plaintiffs are coming from, she was so mad with her phone she stopped carrying it.

Apple certainly had an issue with some 3G phones on that update, but your case proves just how loony this lawsuit really is.

In the first place, you had the same issue but reacted in a much less insane way and moved on. Also, your first sentence highlights the legal bar this case has to jump over, which is they basically have to prove that Apple bricked some 3G's on purpose, or with wilful disregard etc. That simply ain't going to happen. No judge or court in the world would make Apple take the blame for an inadvertent action that they subsequently rushed to fix. Unless these folks can prove that it was all some kind of plot, they haven't got a hope.
  • Reply 53 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David | Dah?veed View Post

The goofy thing is how does it hit or miss certain phones. iOS 4 did not adversely effect the iPhone 3G in this household.

It certainly affected mine. It slowed down to a crawl. Fortunately I didn't install it on my wife's and we both had 4s a week after the release date. I certainly would have been furious if I hadn't been upgrade eligible and been stuck with a 3G that barely functioned for months.

And I can't say that the 4 was fabulous until the OS update was released. The proximity sensor was driving me crazy, but all seems fine now..hopefully.

Now I'm waiting for a patch for the new MacBookAir to fix the screen problems before I buy one which I had been hoping to give myself for my birthday at the end of this month. I'm definitely going to wait until that problem is resolved.

I still adore Apple and all of its products (as well as how the stock is doing!).
  • Reply 54 of 176
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Apple sold more than 15 million iPhone 3G. We really don't know the number of devices affected by this. I am also wondering if those were of a certain patch.

Personally I think Apple should stop offering the 3GS right now. Last year it made sense to sell both the 3G and 3GS because they shared exactly the same features. But now the iPhone 4 is so different and offer features (Retina display, Facetime, cameras, and design) that are not available on the 3GS.
  • Reply 55 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by weckbeckheck View Post

And apple is a million dollar company.

Dr. Evil! Is that you?
  • Reply 56 of 176
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Folks, leave this up to the courts. If simple progress has rendered the 3G obsolete, then Apple is not guilty. However, if the plaintiff can prove that Apple purposely crippled the 3G in the upgrade, to force owners to buy new phones, then Apple is guilty as hell and should cough up money. The burden of proof is on the plaintiff, and we'll see how this shakes down. Otherwise, everyone is just playing armchair quarterback and have no idea what they're talking about.

BTW, I think that 3 years of support for electronics is what should be acceptable - not 2 years. That's the typical lifespan of electronic devices.
  • Reply 57 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SuperDuperCheese View Post

iPhone 3G is two years ago...they can't expect apple to contiunue supporting it like the 3Gs and 4

Consumer laws (at least in California) require a manufacturer to provide replacement parts and other support for five years after a product has been discontinued, IIRC.
  • Reply 58 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

BTW, I think that 3 years of support for electronics is what should be acceptable - not 2 years. That's the typical lifespan of electronic devices.

Oh crap! I gotta go get me a new iMac, my current one is 3 years old!
  • Reply 59 of 176
    Apple being held accountable for knowingly releasing an update that would make their product unusable, that is SENSATIONAL!

What Apple should have done is release iOS 4 for only the 3GS.

Then, once they had time to optimize the software, then release 4.1 for 3G.

It also would not hurt if Apple published some type of speed benchmark for new OSes like they do for new computers. Customers can then make a more informed decision about whether they want the new features at the expense of speed.
  • Reply 60 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

... As someone else has pointed out Mac OS gets faster and more reliable with each new release. The exact opposite seems to be the case with iOS.

Common sense would tell us that new Mac OS releases will do better on older hardware than new iOS releases will on the same. The relative rate of progression of hardware performance on iOS devices far exceeds that of Mac OS devices, and, as well, the relative rate of progress of iOS far exceeds that of Mac OS.

Back in the earlier days of personal computing, the situation we see with how well older iOS hardware works with newer OS releases, was pretty much exactly how it worked with personal computers and new OS releases. So, there really isn't anything shocking here, unless you are just trying to sensationalize the issue.