Sensational lawsuit accuses Apple of turning iPhone 3G into "iBrick"

Comments

• Reply 101 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edwardryu View Post

that's funny. what about other companies to support previous models? people complain about that just like Apple iphone? I don't think so. Apple has a big problem that they do products obsolete so faster so that they tell us to buy new one? bull ****. now, Apple is multi billions company. but who knows? it would be suddenly tumbling down, back to old days? Apple is not MS. they can't survive for a long time. I bet it. they should do more gentle for customers.

Know several people still waiting for upgrade to Android 2 from phones newer than iPhone 3G, and the companies who make the phone keep pushing release date back.

That being said though, sounds like major issue is that Apple won't let you revert should an iOS update have serious side effects. Personally I'm smart enough to wait & see if there are adverse effects before I upgrade but I have to agree with this case that Apple needs to provide the option to revert, or in the least be willing to reset it for you should something go wrong.

The case may not make it far legally because the phone is so far out of warranty but a smart company like Apple should know that ignoring such situations can land them in a PR nightmare. I suspect Apple will settle this one quietly.
  • Reply 102 of 176
    Downgrading the phone is not supported by Apple specifically because the phone is a radio and regulated by the FCC and similar government agencies around the world. The baseband software in the phone is designed so that the software cannot be downgraded and each OS version is designed to work with a specific version of the baseband software. People who claim they have successfully downgraded their phones may actually be running a phone where the OS is not taking advantage of bug fixes and enhancements in the baseband software.
  • Reply 103 of 176
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    I want to add that the best case Apple can make, if they want to fight, is to prove that every other phone OS can not be downgraded either so there's no ill-intention from Apple, just the nature of the devices.

I don't know if that's true though.
  • Reply 104 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FurbiesAndBeans View Post

... For those saying "its a 2 year old device get over it", does that mean that the 3-year Apple Care I bought is useless after 2 years? ...

AppleCare plans for iOS devices are for 2 years, something one would think you would know if you had actually purchased it.
  • Reply 105 of 176
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

"Apple disallowed the downgrading of the iPhone 3G from iOS 4 back to iOS 3.x"

This is the key. Apple should lose this lawsuit because they do not allow owners to go back to a more stable OS when a bug is encountered. They either need to issue patches immediately, or let people revert to a functional OS. There is no logical excuse not to do so.

Also, there were iPhone 3G's sold literally weeks before the iOS 4 dibacle. Some of the 3G's were 2 years old, but Apple will not be well served to suggest they do not have to support a product after a few weeks of it being discontinued, when many of them were still under warranty.

The patch came out about two weeks later..
  • Reply 106 of 176
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

But is that a true claim? Obviously, the structure of the reasoning of your claim is similar to that of the lawsuit.

But the structure of the reasoning has nothing to do with the truth or falsity of the two claims. Without adequate evidence, the lawsuit will fail. My guess is that they have something to hang their hat on.

You suggesting that it is a true claim that Apple intentionally made iOS 4 run poorly on iPhone 3Gs to get people to upgrade?

The aliens conducted your anal probe at the behest of the US Government too....
  • Reply 107 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

AppleCare plans for iOS devices are for 2 years, something one would think you would know if you had actually purchased it.

My apologies I was referring to my MBP's Apple Care which is 3 years. Nevertheless, someone who bought a 3G in say April 2010 is still under warranty even if they hadn't bought Apple Care.
  • Reply 108 of 176
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Did they miss the fact that iOS 4.1 fixed the issue? Dumbass lawsuits!
  • Reply 109 of 176
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

I for one am hoping for some $ retribution caused by this terrible upgrade. I can't tell you the untold number of times I needed to find an address or check for traffic congestion and was unable to because of the disasterous upgrade

Just roll the thing back. How old is your 3G anyway? Did you purchase an AppleCare plan? If not, the original warranty was only a year anyway. I don't think you have much to lose by rolling it back. My 3G was dog-ass slow after upgrading to 4.0 so I rolled it back. Following the roll-back, iTunes treated it like a new phone and I just ignored the option to upgrade to 4.0/4.1. Since the iPhone 3G couldn't multitask, I wasn't missing much anyway. Why sit there and suffer with the damn thing hoping for reparations.
  • Reply 110 of 176
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Shame on apple. This is embarrassing. They should have done better.

There is no excuse for the 4.0 sw making the 3G worse.
  • Reply 111 of 176
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Shame on apple. This is embarrassing. They should have done better.

There is no excuse for the 4.0 sw making the 3G worse.

Except that the 3G has half as much RAM as the 3GS and a quarter of the RAM of the iPhone 4 and a processor that runs at 412MHz as opposed to 600MHz and 1GHz of the 3GS/4 respectively. Like others have said, they shouldn't even have made it available for upgrading to 4.0. It's hardware was obviously not really up to the task.
  • Reply 112 of 176
    And yet again iPhone users prove themselves to be some of the whiniest brats on the planet. Yes, 4.0 slowed things down. It did NOT "brick" 3G phones. I had a 3G at the time and was irritated by some of the sluggishness (especially in maps), but it was livable. You can still use your phone, even if it is slow. Crying to a judge because an update made your phone less pleasant? REALLY? Do they honestly think that Apple was the first one to muck up older products with new software releases? F**king brats. Complain and make a stink to Apple. Enough people and they'll do something about it.

They might have a shred of a point if 4.1 didn't fix many of the issues. This is such a ludicrous, idiotic suit. Thanks for making iPhone users look bad YET AGAIN, you dicks.
  • Reply 113 of 176
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Now I'm convinced that you have serious reading comprehension deficiencies... Where on Earth did I ever say the Apple was required to make software upgrades for 5 years?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

People who buy smartphones with an old version of Android, with no upgrade potential at all to a newer version, and find it difficult or nearly impossible to actually put any apps on it at all, should sue and stop this madness.

You may not have said Apple is required to provide software upgrades but you strongly imply it and other manufacturers should provide them.
  • Reply 114 of 176
    Two words: tort reform.

Not tort elimination. Just meaningful reform that will curb predatory law firms and suits such as this.
  • Reply 115 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wholeheartedly agree that Apple should allow some downgrade of iOS if a version isn?t working out, but these users could have gotten a phone that worked simply by taking their complaint to someone that could help them. I can?t feel sorry for people that chose to complain on the internet instead of getting Apple to get them a new phone after this happened.

PS: Doesn?t MS charge for a downgrade option to XP from Windows 7? Imagine if Apple charged for that option.

This is a perfect example as to why Google doesn't allow Android version on hardware that can't truly support that version. People blast Google for not having v2.2 on every Android phone, the fact is most older Android phones don't have the hardware specs needed to support the OS.
  • Reply 116 of 176
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Just roll the thing back. How old is your 3G anyway? Did you purchase an AppleCare plan? If not, the original warranty was only a year anyway. I don't think you have much to lose by rolling it back. My 3G was dog-ass slow after upgrading to 4.0 so I rolled it back. Following the roll-back, iTunes treated it like a new phone and I just ignored the option to upgrade to 4.0/4.1. Since the iPhone 3G couldn't multitask, I wasn't missing much anyway. Why sit there and suffer with the damn thing hoping for reparations.

The reason why I bought Apple computers , ipod's and iPhone the last 10 years is preciseley to avoid having to spend whole weekends rolling back, re-installing and generally fiddling with software and hardware. The last thing I want to do is waste my valuable time at the weekend tweaking a damed phoned! GET IT

I HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO WITH MY TIME!!!!!!

I tried rolling back to OS 3.1 and it would NOT let me ! Of course if I really wanted to I could go an waste an entire weekend finding how to do it and do it. BUT THAT IS NOT THE POINT. hey I used to install Windows 2000 server on PC's years ago. I'm SO glad I no longer have to put up with buggy MS installs! But thats beside the point

Were you formerly a PC geek and used to this kind of procedure?

What about all the HYPE

It just works.. that Apple so prouldy trumpets

I think your rational is fundementally flawed!

its 2 years old , and worked fine and fast until this crappy iOS4

One thing I'm definately considering is getting a Droid 2 . it has HDMI and I can skype over 3G with it and there are other things too. I don't really wnat to go to Android if I can avoid it, but as far as I can tell its not going to be that great a switch and I have far more control over it's interface than with Apple's iPhone and if this experience is going to keep happening I'm losing nothing.

This espisode has caused me to question getting an iPhone4 because I feel that Apple cannot be trusted any more

EH?
  • Reply 117 of 176
    steve-jsteve-j Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I want to add that the best case Apple can make, if they want to fight, is to prove that every other phone OS can not be downgraded either so there's no ill-intention from Apple, just the nature of the devices.

I don't know if that's true though.

It is not true.

And even if it were, saying that "everybody else was doing it!" is seldom a defense beyond grammar school.
  • Reply 118 of 176
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    for the record this is the link to the iPhone software licence:

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/iphone.pdf

Section 7 is the disclaimer of warranties, which states you use the software "at your own risk" which I understand is the case for most consumer software including OS X and Windows.

It's intriguing that the same section in the iPhone 4 licence states makes the same statements but also acknowledges the disclaimers may not be valid in certain regions and countries.

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/iphone4.pdf
  • Reply 119 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

You suggesting that it is a true claim that Apple intentionally made iOS 4 run poorly on iPhone 3Gs to get people to upgrade?

The aliens conducted your anal probe at the behest of the US Government too....

"Nope"
  • Reply 120 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Just roll the thing back

From the story:

"Wofford contends that Apple disallowed the downgrading of the iPhone 3G from iOS 4 back to iOS 3.x "