New Manhattan office to house Apple's expanding iAd team - report

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple reportedly plans to set up a new office near Union Square in New York City, from which its growing iAd team will run the company's new mobile advertising network.

Multiple sources relayed to Silicon Alley Insider that Apple plans to open the new Manhattan location and bolster its efforts to win over decision makers in the advertising industry. Currently, employees are working out of a small office in SoHo that used to be the home of Quattro Wireless, before that advertiser was purchased by Apple.

The Quattro Wireless Office, though, is only suited to hold about 30 people, the report said. It's likely that the new Union Square office would be able to accommodate more employees for Apple's expanding advertising business.

In August, AppleInsider first revealed that Apple was looking to expand the creative staff for the iAd team. Multiple job listings from Apple have sought to bring new hires into the New York City-based team.

New York City's Madison Avenue is considered to be the hub of the advertising industry, and the street's name is often used to refer to the industry. However, many agencies are located all across the city, and are not confined to Madison Avenue.

Apple has said that its iAds business has had a strong start. When the service launched in July, Apple had already secured more than $60 million in deals through the end of 2010.

But Apple has also had its share of troubles winning over advertisers, who have expressed skepticism toward the iPhone maker's entrance into the business, and also its pricing structure. In August, The Wall Street Journal revealed that Apple exerted tight control over the creative process in iAds, which frustrated some advertisers.

However, some other companies have been quick to praise the success of the iAds platform. Nissan revealed that users who viewed its advertisement for the Leaf electric car spent 90 seconds viewing the interactive content, which is 10 times more than customers spend with a traditional ad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It's easy to forget how powerful this company is.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    This is one of the few thing Apple can hurt Google (another is intelligent search like Siri) So hopefully they'll nail it.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Apple is opening a Manhattan ad office?

i-Mad Men...
  • Reply 4 of 16
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    They are exercising tight control over the process. Most online commentators are treating this as a side issue, like it's just the control-freak CEO or something. But I think it is the central issue.

Apple enters industries to change them, not just join in. They see an industry they think is being done "shit" and their unique talents are suited to (logically, why would you try and enter an industry being done great?). In the case of advertising there are a lot of shysters and tasteless annoying ads. Plenty of opportunity to take over but only if you exercise quality control.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

They are exercising tight control over the process. Most online commentators are treating this as a side issue, like it's just the control-freak CEO or something. But I think it is the central issue.

Apple enters industries to change them, not just join in. They see an industry they think is being done "shit" and their unique talents are suited to. In the case of advertising there are a lot of shysters and tasteless annoying ads. Plenty of opportunity to take over but only if you exercise quality control.

It is still not clear how this is going to work. Apple provided the iAd framework to iPhone developers so it appears that they intend on releasing some of the control. Right now I'm not sure what we are supposed to be doing with this framework. It does seem rather well put together though. I'd love to be able to use some of that code in my own work but it is strictly prohibited by the agreement.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kab695 View Post

i-Mad Men...

The "Big Apple" Madmen, no less.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Quote:

i-Mad Men...

I'll watch that show!
  • Reply 8 of 16
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

i-Mad Men...

That or "Mad iMen."

Wait, that might be misinterpreted. Better hope the ad offices aren't anywhere the WTC site....
  • Reply 9 of 16
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    My gut feeling is that iAd has been designed for Apple TV all along. But since the App Store isn't available on Apple TV yet, Apple can't announce that. So they're forced to keep it secret while still accepting iAds for their iDevices.

So, because iAd on Apple TV is still secret, Apple can't directly tell their ad agency clients that "your iAd needs to look great on everything from 3.5" iPhones to 65" HDTV screens." And that could lead to frustration, since the clients are being kept in the dark about why their iAds somtimes aren't acceptable.

And let's not forget about the Mac App Store. I think it's inevitable that the Mac App Store will eventually deliver Mac apps with iAd built in as well. Look at the pixel resolutions of the 21" and 27" iMacs: 1920x1080 and 2560x1440. This is exactly the same aspect ratio as 16:9 HDTV, and the 1920x1080 is exactly the same resolution as HDTV.

All this evidence makes me think that the 16:9 aspect ratio is what Apple wants iAds to be designed for, at 1920x1080 pixels. Apple could run iAds at native resolution on Apple TV and the 1920x1080 pixel iMacs, slightly scaled up on the 2560x1440 pixel iMacs and LED Cinema Displays, and scaled down as needed for smaller-screen Macs, iPad, and iPhone + iPod touch. Alternately, iAds could contain graphics and videos with different resolutions (and aspect ratios) for Apple's different iDevices and Macs. Either way, Apple would need to review and test iAds on all their products.

If Apple is really planning to put iAds on all Apple products (and why wouldn't they?) then I'm sure Steve himself wants to announce that fact. Not some frustrated ad agency account manager.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's easy to forget how powerful this company is.

Not powerful enough to make Manhattan come to Cupertino.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Not powerful enough to make Manhattan come to Cupertino.

New York is the advertising capital of America. Why move it to the capital of technology?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Don Draper ?

i-Mad Men...

Oh well

If Don is not available

And/or won't stay off the 'sauce'

Then try to get Peggy Olsen

Lotta potential there

• Reply 13 of 16
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BC Kelly View Post

Oh well

If Don is not available

And/or won't stay off the 'sauce'

Then try to get Peggy Olsen

Lotta potential there

I'll take Don's new fiance/wife - ANY day! (don't know why it took half of the season before they hooked up - I was smitten the first day she walked in).
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

I'll take Don's new fiance/wife - ANY day! (don't know why it took half of the season before they hooked up - I was smitten the first day she walked in).

Bagman

Think we know what you mean by "take"

Put you with Da Boyz in the Copy Room

Can play Grab Ass all day instead of working ?

• Reply 15 of 16
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Investing in real estate is definitely not the worst idea ever. McDonald's seems so far doing not bad.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

i-Mad Men...

AARGHGHGH You beat me to it...!!! First thing I thought of