Apple's iAd service to go global

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's iAd network is being deployed worldwide, expanding beyond North America and the UK, with developers reporting ad impressions coming from around the world, according to a new report.

MacRumors has received word that Apple has started serving up iAds around the world. Developers report seeing ad impressions from new global locations, the report notes. Until recently, the service was only available in the United States and United Kingdom.

The news of a global roll-out of the iAd service coincides with a report that Apple plans to open a new Manhattan office for the growing iAd team. Apple this summer was looking to hire staff for the "iAd Creative & Strategy team" based in New York City. Currently, employees work out of the office that Quattro Wireless used before being bought by Apple.

According to Apple's official iAd website, "iAd reaches millions of iPhone and iPod touch users around the world." The company highlights having over 160 million iTunes accounts across 23 countries, although it doesn't specify whether all of these countries can view iAds.

In addition to the global expansion of iAd, advertisers will gain several million more potential customers this month when iAd comes to the iPad with the release of iOS 4.2. Monday's release of the golden master version of iOS 4.2 to developers indicates that the iOS update is imminent.

Apple's $275 million purchase of Quattro Wireless in January paved the way for the interactive iAd platform. Quattro Wireless wasn't Apple's first choice, though. In late 2009, Apple made a bid for an acquisition of mobile advertising giant AdMob, but after Apple let a 45 day "no shop" provision with AdMob lapse, Google stepped in and paid a $150 million premium to snatch up the company.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    With iAds being HTML/CSS/JS they are poised to bring it to every modern web browser, too, not just in apps on the iDevices.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

With iAds being HTML/CSS/JS they are poised to bring it to every modern web browser, too, not just in apps on the iDevices.

I'm surprised they haven't done that already on sites they own. iWeb '12 Google Ad Sense replaced with iAd
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kohelet View Post

I'm surprised they haven't done that already on sites they own. iWeb '12 Google Ad Sense replaced with iAd

Yeah, like many others, I thought iWeb would be rebuilt with "Web 2.0? in mind for iLife ?11.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Currently the user agreement in the iAds framework IDE says it can be used to deliver to iOS devices only, so we should be looking for a change to the user agreement before that happens.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    It just occurred to me: I wonder why apple doesn't stick ads in their own (non-core) apps like the apple store app. Seems like a no-brainer. (they keep all the money)
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Currently the user agreement in the iAds framework IDE says it can be used to deliver to iOS devices only, so we should be looking for a change to the user agreement before that happens.

Oh, I wasn?t suggesting they would open it up without letting anyone know, I?m suggesting that they are being typical Apple by testing on a smaller, controlled environment that they can push to the rest of the web when they feel the time is right.

I?d expect a demo as this will be big. Really big!. Besides being a very direct attack on Google, it will also be independent of Flash and therefore much harder to block, which would be a selling point to advertisers.

It could take years before this becomes a viable option with ?open webcode?, but I think Apple would be foolish not to be planning for this eventual growth of iAds. If they aren?t, then why not just use Xcode for iAds.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kohelet View Post

It just occurred to me: I wonder why apple doesn't stick ads in their own (non-core) apps like the apple store app. Seems like a no-brainer. (they keep all the money)

Because ads are a distraction and they don't want you distracted while deciding on a purchase.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    For developers this is a very beautiful news, but for users?? \
  • Reply 9 of 12
    I am very supportive of iAds to be expanded to traditional websites, not just Apps. This is especially more relevant now, with the iPad, and the expansion of the Apps Store for the Mac.

Most of my websites projects are intended to be non-commercial. I spend thousands of dollars annually of my own personal funds to support them because I did not want ads whatsoever, especially the kind of ads that come from Google. However, I had to cut back a bit because of the impact of the economic recession.

If Apple would adhere to its concept of more informative ads, I would be interested to have some of them in the quasi-nonprofit versions of the websites -- to be able to raise sufficient funds to cover the annual expenses, instead of relying on my own funds.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    I'm not exactly an app addict, but I am yet to stumble across a single iAd ever. Never seen one. I'd love to, just out of curiosity, it's just never happened.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Lets go GLOBAL b@tches.....
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Just what we need, more spam and irrelevant advertising.