Apple adds calendars back to iPhone '11 in new 9.1 update

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple released a new version 9.1 update for iPhoto '11, adding back support for creating calendars, fixing bugs and offering additional letterpress holiday greeting card themes.

The new update is the second in just over two weeks, following the initial release of iLife 11 on October 20, and a 9.0.1 update hastily released to solve a problem causing data loss for some users upgrading from iPhoto '09.

Apple's release notes for the update state:

This update adds several new print product options to iPhoto '11. It also improves overall stability and addresses a number of other minor issues.

- Provides the ability to create and order calendars in iPhoto.

- Additional letterpress holiday greeting card themes are now available.

- Fixes an issue that prevented videos downloaded from MobileMe or Flickr from importing correctly into iPhoto events.

- The update is recommended for all users of iPhoto '11.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    djmikeodjmikeo Posts: 180member
    I believe you meant iPhoto '11 in the headline, instead of iPhone '11
  • Reply 2 of 32
    axc51axc51 Posts: 98member
    shouldn't the title be iPhoto '11 and not iPhone '11?
  • Reply 3 of 32
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    They should bring back pinch to zoom in full screen mode. In iPhoto 11 it only works in editing mode.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    lennylenny Posts: 85member
    After this update, every time I launch iPhoto '11 I get the security pop-up window "Do you want the application "iPhoto.app" to accept incoming network connections?" Does anyone else have the same problem after this update?
  • Reply 5 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by axc51 View Post

shouldn't the title be iPhoto '11 and not iPhone '11?

Yes, it should.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lenny View Post

After this update, every time I launch iPhoto '11 I get the security pop-up window "Do you want the application "iPhoto.app" to accept incoming network connections?" Does anyone else have the same problem after this update?

This happens from time to time. Reinstall it.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    "Apple adds calendars back to iPhone '11 in new 9.1 update"

I haven't gotten that update yet
  • Reply 8 of 32
    lennylenny Posts: 85member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This happens from time to time. Reinstall it.

?? Reinstall the whole iPhoto '11 or just the update?

When I disable the firewall, that security pop-up window doesn't appear.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lenny View Post

?? Reinstall the whole iPhoto '11 or just the update?

I’d back up my iPhoto Library in ~/Pictures. Then reinstall iPhoto ’11 from iLife ’11. Then reinstall the update.

Quote:

When I disable the firewall, that security pop-up window doesn't appear.

But keeping that off isn’t ideal.

This is the only way I know to resolve this issue, but I’m not saying it will work. It’s SW and there will be bugs or issues. There wasn’t, then you wouldn’t have had an update to do in the first place. It’s the nature of the beast. Good luck.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    If they would only please add back the simple ability to e-mail photos in a size of ones choosing and without forcing you to use one of the cosmetic, stationary layouts, I might even be happy with the update. As it is, I'm pissed! Don't remove basic everyday functionality in lieu of new fancier features.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

If they would only please add back the simple ability to e-mail photos in a size of ones choosing and without forcing you to use one of the cosmetic, stationary layouts, I might even be happy with the update. As it is, I'm pissed! Don't remove basic everyday functionality in lieu of new fancier features.

You can drag the photo/s to the Mail app icon in the dock and it will be emailed as an attachment.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    They added more than new themes for letterpress cards in this update. They also increased the price by 10%. I had a letterpress card saved on my laptop and after the update it was $3.99 AUD. On my MacPro without the update it is still $3.63 AUD. I guess I'll order them from my MacPro.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Nice workaround, Nasserae.

That will suffice for now, but I always like to go to iPhoto->Provide iPhoto Feedback and offer feedback. I asked to:

- Bring back the email via Mail option, at least as an option

- When I'm in an Event, make the esc Key exit me out of the event, like it used to

- Rethink the UI, the various buttons are far apart from each other

- It was easier to merge and separate events on import in the last version

Apple took a few steps forward and a few steps back in this version. But even with all that, I really like the goodies.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You can drag the photo/s to the Mail app icon in the dock and it will be emailed as an attachment.

Yes, or attach from within the Mail program, but I haven't found a way to conveniently rescale the photos on the fly, the way you used to be able to from within iPhoto. Am I missing something here ...?

RIght now if I drag a 1.4 MB photo to Mail, that is the size that it goes out, and that large of a file is too big for 'most of the time' uses for me. They had an easy way before, why would they take it away? No sense.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Dear apple:

Thanks for f*cking up my iPhoto with the 9.1 update.

• Reply 16 of 32
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Yes, or attach from within the Mail program, but I haven't found a way to conveniently rescale the photos on the fly, the way you used to be able to from within iPhoto. Am I missing something here ...?

The workaround isn't perfect. iPhoto used to lay it out simply, optionally with captions. I like the tip, but it often needs cleanup. The photos are right on top of each other. The captions are gone. But it's better than the templates.

In order to resize the photo(s) that you've dragged onto the Mail icon, just select a size from the drop down menu in the lower-right corner of the Mail window. Choices are Small, Medium, Large and Actual Size. My sample 3.9 MB file has options to send at actual size, or 303K, 90K and 33K.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Quote:

RIght now if I drag a 1.4 MB photo to Mail, that is the size that it goes out, and that large of a file is too big for 'most of the time' uses for me. They had an easy way before, why would they take it away? No sense.

After you drag the photo there will be a drop down menu at the lower right corner of the email window. You can choose the size you want.

Edit: bugsnw beat me to it
  • Reply 18 of 32
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meeksdigital View Post

Dear apple:

Thanks for f*cking up my iPhoto with the 9.1 update.

I live off my iPhoto. Thanks for the tip!!!!
  • Reply 19 of 32
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Some of the interface changes are cool and annoying at the same time. For instance, I like the new interface for setting up books, but hate how they changed it to a column on the right rather than a row on the top. It takes away a lot of space from working on my books!
  • Reply 20 of 32
    i got excited for a minute thinking this was a calendar view like photoshop elements used to have (does it still have this feature?).

the calendar (or date view) showed a monthly calendar with a thumbnail photo of a photo taken on that day in the day cell. it turns out to be a great way to navigate a photo library quickly (at least i thought so).

i miss it.