Sensational lawsuit accuses Apple of turning iPhone 3G into "iBrick"

Comments

• Reply 141 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

multi-
    million

I haven't read many of the posts but I imagine someone has already amended this comment to multi-BILLION.
  • Reply 142 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

so the next iPhone comes out with an new iOS5

and Apple claims it works great with the iPhone4 ! oh yeah

will you believe them and all you friends are laughing at you cos you haven't upgraded

ah yes peer pressure . luv it

The Matrix has you Neo

Completely worthless analogy. iPhone OS 3 worked perfectly fine on the 3G. For this analogy to make sense, you'd have to be talking about iOS 6. Heck, iPhone OS 3 works perfectly fine on the iPhone 2G, so I really have absolutely no idea where any of these people get off.
  • Reply 143 of 176
    . What a silly lawsuit. Its a over reaction, but people will sue over anything.
  • Reply 144 of 176
    Why not simply let users restore what they had? Not that big of a deal.

But forcing Apple into it via lawsuit is stupid. The lawyers will rake in millions, the rest of us will (literally) be eligible for pennies. There are better uses for the time & money.
  • Reply 145 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Well, might be roundabout, but pretty straight forward nonetheless. Here's the one I used: http://www.iphonehacks.com/2010/07/h...-os-3-1-3.html

Rob, not to go too far off-topic, but did you actually succeed? I followed these instructions but it didn't work for me - I got the impression each individual iPhone's OS revision level is registered on Apple's iTunes Store server.

I tried to revert to 3.1.3, but when the iPhone "phoned home", it wouldn't let me since it "knew" I had updated it to 4.0.
  • Reply 146 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

I haven't read many of the posts but I imagine someone has already amended this comment to multi-BILLION.

Yes, several times.

It's sure to be multi-trillion any day now
  • Reply 147 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

I presume you're in the US where you have at least fifty one different systems - state laws plus the federal laws.

Oh, if it were only that simple. There are state circuit courts, superior courts, district courts, courts of appeal, and state supreme courts. Those are only for the 50 states. Each one also has a Federal district court. There are more courts for territories. There are twelve separate Federal appellate courts. Tax courts, Federal claims courts... the US is a court paradise
  • Reply 148 of 176
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by weckbeckheck View Post

Yes they can. I still believe in a lifespan of technology products longer than 2 years. And apple is a million dollar company. Don't tell me they don't have the resources. The argument is most likely true and valid.

Might want to edit your post. Apple is a multi BILLION dollar company....
  • Reply 149 of 176
    Quote:

multi-
    million

try multi-BILLION. Where have you been?
  • Reply 150 of 176
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by weckbeckheck View Post

And apple is a million dollar company.

Quote:

multi-million

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolcat View Post

try multi-BILLION.

That would be multi-hundred billion dollar company.
  • Reply 151 of 176
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FurbiesAndBeans View Post

For those saying "its a 2 year old device get over it", does that mean that the 3-year Apple Care I bought is useless after 2 years?

If you purchased AppleCare for your iPhone, you did not purchase a three year plan for it. Your AppleCare extends the warranty to two years (from one).

-> AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone
  • Reply 152 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markb View Post

when you install a new (major) version of a program or OS, doesnt Apple make you agree to not sue them for performance issues when you agree to the EULA? There are like 20 pages of fine print on those things. I would be shocked if that kind of thing wasnt in there.

So you're saying you don't really know if that kind of language is in the EULA and you're just assuming? Smooth move Exlax....
  • Reply 153 of 176
    Still problems with proximity sensor, blinking on/off near my face sometimes causing me to mute or hang up the call. My signal still sucks, even though I had full bars with my 3G, now get only 1-2 bars with the IP4 at my house. Losing faith in Apple, really all about money. Jobs!!!! Do something!!!
  • Reply 154 of 176
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    I think I have been patient. I did the upgrade and got an almost unusable phone. Couldn't even answer calls sometimes. But I waited. Then 4.1 was released. Things were better for a while, but now the phone has become glitchy again. Not as bad as before, but not good. I am waiting to see what 4.2 brings if anything. If it doesn't improve or gets worse then I will take the phone back to iOS 3. Patience in this case may not be a virtue.
  • Reply 155 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Why not simply let users restore what they had? Not that big of a deal.

But forcing Apple into it via lawsuit is stupid. The lawyers will rake in millions, the rest of us will (literally) be eligible for pennies. There are better uses for the time & money.

Point well taken. This will be hard to prove as far as intent & outcome. Anyone effected by this problem should contact Apple.
  • Reply 156 of 176
    iOS 4 did exactly what the article describes to a huge number of users. I ending up restoring dozens of them a week for months in a futile attempt to keep users from losing their minds.

Any corporation in danger of becoming #1 inevitably screws its customers. Apple should be slapped, and hard.
  • Reply 157 of 176
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

Rob, not to go too far off-topic, but did you actually succeed? I followed these instructions but it didn't work for me - I got the impression each individual iPhone's OS revision level is registered on Apple's iTunes Store server.

I tried to revert to 3.1.3, but when the iPhone "phoned home", it wouldn't let me since it "knew" I had updated it to 4.0.

Hmm, it worked for me, but they actually do say that the guide does not promise or offer consistent results. I guess I got lucky maybe?
  • Reply 158 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I would be shocked if this kind of thing was in there and the lawyers in that class-action suit decided to proceed anyway. Damn bloodsuckers.

Yes, but does not excuse them from releasing an update than they knew would cause problems for millions of users.

Their response was,

1 wait for the update (3 months)

2 buy the iPhone 4

Just because you have a clause in your EULA does not allow you to be reckless.
  • Reply 159 of 176
    Wow, this is something. But I honestly think there's still a long way ahead before something gets proven. After all, it's Apple Inc.
  • Reply 160 of 176
    I think the suit is bs. I updated my 3GS and had nary a problem.

And I'm sure thousand of iPhone users did the same thing and had no problems.

Sounds like someone is looking for a payday.