Apple to discontinue Xserve after Jan. 31, 2011

Comments

• Reply 201 of 332
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Yes. Jobs earned millions of dollars. Not the people who worked at NeXT and bought into his BS vision and most importantly not the consumers who actually bought the machines and were then abandoned.

But hey, in your eyes as long as Steve makes money it's all good.

What the fuck is wrong with you? His "bullshit" vision? What does that even mean?

After being forced out at Apple, he started another company. After briefly building hardware that proved to be overpriced for the market, that company concentrated on an operating system that is now OS X, after being purchased by Apple. Really not a terrible outcome. Are you thinking that the people that bought Next hardware were somehow betrayed because Next couldn't make a go of it? So every single consumer product that isn't maintained in perpetuity is an "abandonment?" Because that's just basically crazy talk.

Is Andy Rubin peddling bullshit as well? After all, where are all the Danger Hiptop devices? What about all those Danger employees? Destitute, no doubt. Where's the support for the orphaned Danger customers? Oh yeah, it's Android now, but it doesn't count.
  • Reply 202 of 332
    You obviously don?t know what the hell you?re talking about.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GelfTheElf View Post

I don't know why everyone is freaking out...

- The new Mac Mini with Leopard Server is close to the same specs for 1/3rd the price.

- You don't really need the faster processors in a server.

- You can get external raid storage if you need it (Mac Mini has FireWire 800)

And mostly.. Apple is pushing "going green"

- Mac Mini's use 10W of power when idling. (max of 80W) XServe does max of 750W??

• Reply 203 of 332
    steve-jsteve-j Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Apple will be integrating SSDs into all new Macs.

Since Apple buys these chips in freaking huge quantities, they will be able to offer a generation of Macs that will be able to offer performance at a price the Wintel world can't match.

The iPad was the first true example of this.

Apple used to be the more expensive option.

The iPad is actually the less expensive option in the tablet market.

So do you then predict that bang-for-buck will keep the Apple desktops alive? Is that what you are saying?
  • Reply 204 of 332
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

.All of which ignores the fact ...

So you ... dream up a scenario which is completely CONTRADICTORY to the facts?

So what? ...

... Get it?

... proving you don't have a clue

These statements are all a bit harsh.
  • Reply 205 of 332
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Killing off their Enterprise group just shows that Apple is well on their way to abandoning the Mac and instead focusing on cheap, disposable, gadgets as their sole reason for existance. Sad.

They is gonna do the best they can with what they got. Just like every other company.

Killing off less profitable ventures leaves capital for more profitable ventures.
  • Reply 206 of 332
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davida View Post

Apple should be Apple's #1 customer for enterprise, but they don't use what they make. For example, Mac OS X Server has mail, but Apple uses Exchange servers internally.

That reminds me of when Motorola built the CPU's in Apple computers and their IT team decided to use all Intel-based PC's in the company.

Honestly, it amazes me. If you can't, don't, or won't use your own product then it does not help to sell the product. At all.
  • Reply 207 of 332
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Learn the origins of such paraphrasing that is done for comic effect. They will show up again.
    2) Saying that satellite computing devices will outnumber typical ?PCs? is not some farfetched notion. iOS devices (which you refer to as iToys) already outnumber the number of Macs sold by 6 to 1. If we look at all other major PC makers and MS, they are all focusing their attention on satellite computing.

3) Dick?s statement isn?t saying that desktop computers will go away completely, but that our reliance on them as our primary means of communicating digitally will wane. This is the nature of all tech. Paradigm shifts do happen and with mobile computing getting more robust there simply is less need for the average person to have ?PC? in every room. We already had this shift from desktops to notebooks, now we?re seeing this with handheld devices that suit the majority of casual computing needs.

4) I predict we?ll see an upsurge of desktops as the single, powerful, stationary computer, with multiple smartphones and tablets in a household serving a multitude of satellite computing needs. Even the TV will get involved in future of computing.

You go, Hedley... I'll join you later 'round the campfire...

Here's one with Bogey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ

• Reply 208 of 332
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Right. But Apple no longer has a solution for the server room. OS X Server may be viable for folks using Mac minis, or Pros as servers. And maybe that market is large enough to keep OS X Server around. But the rack-mount crowd is SOL. They'll have to use Macs as clients only. That seems like a poor move if Apple is claiming to have a new enterprise push.

I guess Apple is saying: "We're a consumer oriented company. If you want to use our products in the enterprise, go talk to Unisys, et al."

It may make perfect business sense, but it's sad to see. A "serious" computer company should have rack-mount servers. With this, Apple moves more toward being a "consumer electronics" company and away from being a "computer" company. I miss Apple Computer.

- Jasen.

It depends. My first reaction here was to think what you're thinking. But I'm not so sure now. Further thinking on this has made me change my mind somewhat. In fact I now think that it was the deal with Unisys that's allowed, and even spured this decision. The question is of the doubling of Apple's presense in enterprise, how much of this consists of XServes.
  • Reply 209 of 332
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

As I said earlier, perhaps Steve and Larry have a Sun / Apple concept for Enterprise cooking?

*That* would be a great move, IMHO. Apple?s never really been able to address the enterprise need (even though XServe was a good product) ? they never really understood the needs of data center and system administrator. Sun, however, does.

(BTW, I worked for years as a senior Solaris system admin and assistant data center manager)

License MAc OS X server to a company that gets IT.
  • Reply 210 of 332
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

License MAc OS X server to a company that gets IT.

But why even this? Is Mac OS X Server such a great server OS, especially when compared with things like Solaris or even Linux?

Server OSes are a different animal from consumer/desktop OSes. I'm not sure Apple has much to offer there.
  • Reply 211 of 332
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I agree... servers are definitely part of the picture.

I just don't see desktop computers at the workstation -- why tether productivity?

FWIW, AAPL has been trading even to down, $0.50 -- so the "bad news" hasn't hurt.

Apple could announce licensing of OS X Server -- or just do it!

I don't think that it will affect AAPL price much.

If they do license OS X Server then they potentially have 3rd party reps that can build Apple solutions from the back office out, and the front office in.

Apple could increase sales and enterprise penetration by taking advantage of the expertise and established "inside" relationships of companies such as Unisys.

Apple closed down by 74 cents, but the market was down, and MS was down by several times as much percentage wise, as were other computer companies.
  • Reply 212 of 332
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

But why even this? Is Mac OS X Server such a great server OS, especially when compared with things like Solaris or even Linux?

Server OSes are a different animal from consumer/desktop OSes. I'm not sure Apple has much to offer there.

Yes it does when supporting mainly Mac SO X clients. Try modifying a AD to support Apple MCX:es for client control...

There is a place for it. Not for you perhaps but for me it´s is one of the easiest server softwares to get all essential services running in no time.
  • Reply 213 of 332
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

4) I predict we?ll see an upsurge of desktops as the single, powerful, stationary computer, with multiple smartphones and tablets in a household serving a multitude of satellite computing needs. Even the TV will get involved in future of computing.

I sure hope so. That's the perfect combination for my family.

Most of the time a satellite device is good enough, but sometimes you need a powerful computer with an enormous display for efficient content creation. A single box that can be a creation and gaming tool and also act as a home server will continue to make sense far into the future.
  • Reply 214 of 332
    So many apropos comments, where to begin?

If you have a business to run, as the old saw goes, and Cupertino has succeded in making the point SO clearly:

Nobody ever got fired for choosing IBM.

Somebody else upthread mentioned that Apple is now officially a toy maker. Boy you can say that again. With a toy maker's attitude to boot. Steve came back, rescued the company from oblivion by making feature loaded hardware with a killer OS, got the bright idea to try making pocket sized, throw-away little POS gadgets, and saw the light: the future lies in becoming the kind of "computer company" that the people tend to deserve. (My apologies to Thomas Jefferson) i.e. one that will soon have no reason to provide any customer support whatsoever. Their success with keychain toys changed the company's business environment. Ecologists call this phenomenon a sere.

Monologue at the Genius bar: "Kowabunga!, your Ipod nano with all of your priceless personal chat history and your $1.99 toenail trimmer app in it stopped working? There, there, let's just toss it in the circular file and give you a new one. Consider yourself "customer serviced", ...and have a nice day! ...You sir, with the XServe labeled "Acctng.

Dept." under your arm. You're next!!"

We poor suckers that answered the call of the XServe fell prey to several things. 1. We thought it was a Mac. 2. Apple's having touched the nerve of what the public appears to want -there's more of them than corporate customers anyhow and they're a lot easier to dupe and they tend not to have legal departments. 3. "Keeping hardware & software engineers & support lines for business customers on the payroll is costly and a pain in the neck anyhow---we're better off without them." 4. Apple's corporate Borderline Personality Disorder. 5. Etc.

Others mentioned a fairyland deal with Oracle, or running SL Server on Dells, etc. What fool would ever again trust Apple for a serious business oriented solution? Dollars to doughnuts, SL Server is the last version of a server OS to ever come out of Cupertino. There will be no Lion Server, it's not consumer oriented.

The times they are a changin' and we all have no choice but to go with the flow. You want to make some dough? Stop cryin' and get yourself to work on perfecting that ERP package for iOS.
  • Reply 215 of 332
    A Mac Pro will be fine for smaller companies, but if you've got a couple of racks of xserves, the dual PSU, LOM, hotswap disks and things like that really matter. the performance of the macpro is fine, but the real server features just aren't there, and can't be added to the macpro
  • Reply 216 of 332
    There's a good discussion at: http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...1#comments-bar as to what a monumentally stupid decision this is.
  • Reply 217 of 332

For those that admin a server farm:

1) As the servers are headless, I assume you can monitor any server from a remote desktop computer -- run diagnostics, update software, backup manually (when necessary), reboot, etc..

2) When you determine you need to "touch the iron" -- actually go out to the device in question...

What do you use to connect to the device -- a laptop?

How do you connect -- WiFi, KVM switch, BT?

What software do you run?

Is the software on the server, the laptop, both (VNC)?

Could an iPad be used for this purpose or would the tablet need Windows 7?

• Reply 218 of 332
    Wow. I'd wager some folks at Parallels Holdings are a bit tweaked at the moment. And I thought I was having a tough day!
  • Reply 219 of 332
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExtraO View Post

...the future lies in becoming the kind of "computer company" that the people tend to deserve...

Bingo. Apple used to actually give a crap about their consumers because with their small market share and the beating they were taking at the hands of Intel/MS they had to. People held them to a higher standard. Now with them moving to be the next Sony they just don't give a crap - "Hey you over there! look at the pretty lights!"
  • Reply 220 of 332
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

For those that admin a server farm:

1) As the servers are headless, I assume you can monitor any server from a remote desktop computer -- run diagnostics, update software, backup manually (when necessary), reboot, etc..

2) When you determine you need to "touch the iron" -- actually go out to the device in question...

What do you use to connect to the device -- a laptop?

How do you connect -- WiFi, KVM switch, BT?

What software do you run?

Is the software on the server, the laptop, both (VNC)?

Could an iPad be used for this purpose or would the tablet need Windows 7?

1. Yes correct

2. Connect a display if you have to see anything before the OS starts. Not very often this happens

ARD - Apple Remote Desktop - the "server" has been installed in Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server by default since around 2003

The "server" (providing the connection for the controlling software) in all Mac OS X computers, the controlling software is Apple Remote Desktop and since 10.5 you can also use the built in VNC client for "lite" remote control.

I have used another software called TeamViewer controlling servers with the iPad but this calls for the software to be started on the computer to be controlled. Apples ARD server starts by default before the user logs in.