Leaked Apple dead pixel policy allows two for iPad, none for iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by callumacrae View Post

I heard a couple people saying that 15 pixels on the 21.5" iMac was too much. Is it just me, or is 15 pixels 0.00072337963% of all the pixels?

~Callum

It's not about the percentage, it's about being able to notice it.

If a white piece of paper was 99.999% white and .0001% black, I can guarantee you'll notice the black spot.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If this leak is genuine and is adhered to by Apple, I think it's poor that a company who tries to push an AIO as their main computer would accept as many as 15 faulty pixels before repair or replacement. It should be a zero dead pixel policy. It's not as if they're going to lose loads of money as the number of defects should be small.

What they need to do is design the iMac screens to be easy to pull out and replace.

Yeah I know that is their policy and I would agree with an AIO that wouldn't make many happy to have to wait until you had 15 dead pixels. With my iMac which is the only one I had a problem with so far I had one stuck red pixel and I called my local Apple Store and they were like no problem bring it back and they replaced it without any issues. I think you have a much better chance of getting a replacement when you have a local Apple Store to deal with. For those that always have to order online or go through Applecare I don't believe that get the same level of service that you get from a local store.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    I thought the policy was a bit more liberal than I initially thought. Not saying I'd want a dead pixel I could sleep at night with this one.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Seems like APPLES policy is fair. I would even go as far as saying very fair since the geniuses can use discretion as well.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FurbiesAndBeans View Post

... If a white piece of paper was 99.999% white and .0001% black, ...

...the other 0,0009 would be red!
  • Reply 26 of 35
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    I have never seen anybody get refused a replacment from Apple regardless of the number of pixels. As stated in the article these are loose guidelines. This is just AI posting a fluff artticle to generate traffic when they have nothing real to write about.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    "... allows two for iPad, none for iPhone"?

I get it in that it's saying anything above two is bad for iPad, anything above none is bad for iPhone. However, the title is so horribly written. I initially read it as meaning Apple doesn't have a policy for the iPhone. It can even sound like if you have no dead pixels, you can still get a replacement.

Just sayin'.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FurbiesAndBeans View Post

It's not about the percentage, it's about being able to notice it.

If a white piece of paper was 99.999% white and .0001% black, I can guarantee you'll notice the black spot.

My eyes have more dead pixels than that.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If this leak is genuine and is adhered to by Apple, I think it's poor that a company who tries to push an AIO as their main computer would accept as many as 15 faulty pixels before repair or replacement. It should be a zero dead pixel policy. It's not as if they're going to lose loads of money as the number of defects should be small.

What they need to do is design the iMac screens to be easy to pull out and replace.

That is the most absurd statement you could possibly ever make.

There is a high probability that millions of flat panel monitors currently have far more dead pixels than 15 and they aren't being returned.

You're demanding Apple cover the manufacturing mistakes of a third party if their tolerance is off by more than 0 pixels.

Truly brain dead.

In fact, go tell all electronics manufacturers of HDTVs that they must replace all units if there are at least 1 or more dead pixels.

In fact, lets go back and sue every manufacturer whose CRT beams weren't defect free.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spinoza View Post

My eyes have more dead pixels than that.

Exactly.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I'm glad they have a zero-tolerance dead pixel policy for iPhone displays. I find it very telling that what is essentially a great unique selling point isn't being widely communicated.

Most companies try and turn dead pixels into a "grey area" because it means they qualify for a discount on LCD panels if they agree to accept displays containing a few faults. They know that a portion of consumers who receive faulty displays will not persevere in having the fault fixed. Basically they are being unethical but because most companies do it they think they can get away with it.

I had a horrible experience with my current iMac when it arrived brand new with a dead pixel right in the centre of the screen. It might have only been one pixel but because of the location I found it completely distracting. And I was also concerned that it would affect the resale value should I need to sell the computer in the future.

The iMac arrived immediately before my exams. I chose to wait until after i had finished my exams to open it, which meant my opportunity to take advantage of the restocking policy had lapsed.

I called Applecare (which i had purchased specifically to avoid getting burnt by something like this) and was appalled to have them basically tell me "sucked in". I thought maybe I was just being pedantic so I asked a few people to look at the computer and they all told me to follow it up with Apple because I was being fed bullshit.

I called back the next day and managed to get a different person who agreed to have the fault reviewed at an Apple Store.

Genius staff obviously receive specific training to minimise the number of returned products because I got taken through the same bunch of canned phrases by two staff members. These questions are designed to make you question your motives and why you are making a big deal "out of nothing". The other thing they will do is ask you wait for a long periods of time while they serve other customers (despite having booked an appointment) in an attempt to make you angry or aggressive so they can have you ejected from the store. Staff will also try and goad you into asking for a complete replacement product so that you end up sounding unreasonable or over-demanding.

I knew they were going to try and give me the run around but I had read up on the consumer protection law so I knew that I was fully within my rights to ask for a replacement screen.

Basically my argument was:-

1) I was never informed of the dead pixel policy prior to the purchase.

2) Had I known about the dead pixel policy I would have purchased from a physical store where I could have the opportunity to review the screen prior to purchase.

3) The computer was sold with a specific screen resolution on the technical details page of the online store which makes reference to an exact number of pixels

4) None of the sample computers displayed in either the online store or the Apple Store have displays containing any dead pixels

5) consumer protection law allows for a full refund if the product does not match the description or samples shown to you prior to purchase (and I was only asking for the fault to be repaired)

In the end they agreed to replace the screen which they did and am thrilled that I can now enjoy using my computer.

My advice is if your computer arrives brand new with dead pixels and they genuinely bother you and you are consistent and reasonable throughout the whole procedure you should get the fault replaced regardless of the dead pixel policy. With Apple you want to show up at the Apple Store dressed like a hipster/trendsetter because they are more likely to take your complaint seriously if you look like you are an influential figure within their target market. And don't threaten to sue or go to the media right off the bat because they will simply make you out to be a crazy person and call security.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

That is the most absurd statement you could possibly ever make.

There is a high probability that millions of flat panel monitors currently have far more dead pixels than 15 and they aren't being returned.

You're demanding Apple cover the manufacturing mistakes of a third party if their tolerance is off by more than 0 pixels.

Truly brain dead.

In fact, go tell all electronics manufacturers of HDTVs that they must replace all units if there are at least 1 or more dead pixels.

Take a look at what some of the competition is doing. Dell has a zero dead pixel policy for their entire Ultrasharp line and they come with a 3 year warranty. When the display is a cheap TN and they don't replace it, the worst is you buy another one. High value displays like IPS, the manufacturers should have a zero dead pixel policy. When it's sealed to a $1200+ machine, it's even more important to replace after a single defect.

Normally I'd look the other way at abusive comments made in a discussion I'm part of but your "brain dead" comment was entirely uncalled for.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    Lame. If a customer complains because of any dead pixels, the product should be repaired. Period. My iPhone has a row of dead pixels that just appeared and they want to charge me $99 to fix it. I'd even pay for it if it wasn't half the price of a new phone. I'm getting tired of Apple always dangling that carrot in our face.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmike View Post

Lame. If a customer complains because of any dead pixels, the product should be repaired. Period. My iPhone has a row of dead pixels that just appeared and they want to charge me $99 to fix it. I'd even pay for it if it wasn't half the price of a new phone. I'm getting tired of Apple always dangling that carrot in our face.

What you?re saying isn?t making sense or you?ve left out some other information, like it?s out of warranty or the device has suffered some other damage that voids the warranty.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    What will your "brand new" bad-pixel device be replaced with?

Will Apple just give you a used/repaired/damaged "refurbished" device?

You paid for a *NEW* fully working one.