Sensational lawsuit accuses Apple of turning iPhone 3G into "iBrick"

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ggley View Post

Wow, this is something. But I honestly think there's still a long way ahead before something gets proven. After all, it's Apple Inc.

You didn't read the article. You didn't read this thread. It was bunk before it was filed. 4.1 fixed the problems.
  • Reply 162 of 176
    Hey -

What's up with the page numbering around here? Do you guys see a button for page 6 that takes you to page 5? I do.

These admins screwing with the software again? Leave it alone, dudes. You just annoy the regs.
  • Reply 163 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

Hey -

What's up with the page numbering around here? Do you guys see a button for page 6 that takes you to page 5? I do.

These admins screwing with the software again? Leave it alone, dudes. You just annoy the regs.

And now, there's a button for page 5 that takes yo to page 4, and no button for page 6.
  • Reply 164 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

And now, there's a button for page 5 that takes yo to page 4, and no button for page 6.

Works for me. Thanks for making it work by complaining about it.
  • Reply 165 of 176
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Here is a video of iOS 4.2 GM running on an iPhone 3G.
    The uploader didn?t do comparative tests with multiple units or include iOS 4.0 and 4.1, but it does show iOS 3.1.3 and 4.2 back to back on the same device so now you?ll have to move you conspiracy theory from "Apple was trying to force everyone to by an iPhone 4? to ?Apple knew there was a lawsuit about maliciously bricking the iPhone 3G so they are trying to cover their tracks?.
  • Reply 166 of 176
    I've been an Apple enthusiast for years. But after OS4 made my phone inferior to a FREE phone you'd get with a wireless contract, I'm not so blindly loyal.

I bought two 3G's in September '08 for $598 plus tax. If i had been informed that a software 'upgrade' would make them malfunction before getting two good years out of them, I NEVER would have bought them!

You may be thinking, "New software is often incompatible with old hardware, blah, blah, blah." But I got all the new operating systems for a Mac I bought in '04 and she ran like a champ until I upgraded to a newer Mac in '08. NEVER have I purchased a "top of the line" device and seen it crap out in under two years. ALL of my previous phones, computers, TV's, etc. have lasted much longer, and NONE of them were really "high end."

Purchasing an iPhone 4 won't solve this problem. How does anyone know that a new operating system in the coming years (or months) won't sink IP4 the way it sunk 3G?
  • Reply 167 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Imbags View Post

If i had been informed that a software 'upgrade' would make them malfunction before getting two good years out of them, I NEVER would have bought them!

Oh, shut up; yes you would have. No one made you update the software and they didn't "malfunction".

Quote:

How does anyone know that a new operating system in the coming years (or months) won't sink IP4 the way it sunk 3G?

Because the 3G wasn't sunk, 'months' is a fallacious term, and we have until at least iOS 6 until that happens.
  • Reply 168 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, shut up; yes you would have. No one made you update the software and they didn't "malfunction".

Because the 3G wasn't sunk, 'months' is a fallacious term, and we have until at least iOS 6 until that happens.

My phone no longer functions properly. Hence, it malfunctions. But judging by your misuse of the word "fallacious," I can see that vocabulary isn't your strong suit. You probably just wanted to appear erudite. (You don't know what that means.)

You're right about one thing - no one made me update my phone's software. But in the rational world, it's reasonable to assume that an update will improve a product's performance, not downgrade it.

And no, I certainly would not have spent over $600 on these 3G's had I been told this would happen. Asserting that I would have was an example of wildly fallacious reasoning.

You're in over your head here. Go debate with someone your own (smaller) intellectual size.
  • Reply 169 of 176
    Quote:

But judging by your misuse of the word "fallacious," I can see that vocabulary isn't your strong suit.

Your belief that an update is coming in a span of 'months' is fallacious. Your belief that the next update will do similar damage is fallacious. Pretty simple.

Quote:

You probably just wanted to appear erudite. (You don't know what that means.)

You're making a fool of yourself. It's great that you think you can type the above sentence (second one) and believe you're correct.

Quote:

And no, I certainly would not have spent over $600 on these 3G's had I been told this would happen.

Then why purchase anything at all? Everything will eventually 'malfunction' if you update it too far past its capabilities.
  • Reply 170 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Your belief that an update is coming in a span of 'months' is fallacious. Your belief that the next update will do similar damage is fallacious. Pretty simple.

You're making a fool of yourself. It's great that you think you can type the above sentence (second one) and believe you're correct.

Then why purchase anything at all? Everything will eventually 'malfunction' if you update it too far past its capabilities.

So you knew that installing OS4 on a 3G would mean updating the phone 'too far past its capabilities?' Wow, you're smarter than I thought. With the possible exception of some folks at Apple, you're the only person I've heard of who foresaw this.

Please tell me if there's any other product on which I shouldn't install a software update. I've been updating EVERYTHING for years and nothing like this 3G debacle ever happened. Give me your contact info. Next time I'm PROMPTED to update anything, it's clear I should check with you first, since you know when installing a RECOMMENDED software update may push a device 'past its capabilities' and render it a piece of junk.

I take everything back. You're beyond intelligent. You shouldn't be blogging here. Your talents are wasted. You should be foreseeing all sorts of catastrophes and helping the world avert them, don't you think? Please shower me with more of your wisdom immediately.

By the way, what other products malfunctioned this way when users (after being prompted) installed the recommended software updates? You said that 'everything' eventually does this. Being less intelligent than you, I must be forgetting all of those things. Go ahead - enlighten me.
  • Reply 171 of 176
    [QUOTE=Tallest Skil;1748346]Your belief that an update is coming in a span of 'months' is fallacious.

It was fallacious alright. It may be coming in mere weeks.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...hone-3g-gears/

Are you serious here, or are you just pretending to be dimwitted to get a rise out of me?
  • Reply 172 of 176
    Quote:

It was fallacious alright. It may be coming in mere weeks.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...hone-3g-gears/

Are you serious here, or are you just pretending to be dimwitted to get a rise out of me?

I'd ask you the same thing. You're talking about iOS x level updates and then you bring up this iOS x.x level update. Completely different argument.
  • Reply 173 of 176
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

I've been updating EVERYTHING for years and nothing like this 3G debacle ever happened.

Take a rev A 12" Powerbook 768MHz with 1 gig ram. Install Leopard. Watch paint dry when you try to do anything.
  • Reply 174 of 176
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

If i had been informed that a software 'upgrade' would make them malfunction before getting two good years out of them, I NEVER would have bought them!

Then for future reference note that all software can potentially adversely affect the HW you install it on. Also, the very fact that there are point updates to fix bugs that crop up after the main, feature update is released should be a clue that SW is not perfect and can potentially hinder your device?s operation in one way or another. Based on these facts that everyone seems to understand about code you should NEVER buy any electronic device ever again.
  • Reply 175 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Take a rev A 12" Powerbook 768MHz with 1 gig ram. Install Leopard. Watch paint dry when you try to do anything.

The point is this: if you did this, you can downgrade that Powerbook to whatever OS does function on it. You're not stuck like we were with iOS4.

I don't understand why it's so hard for people to understand that the main issue re: iOS4 and the 3G was a lack of downgrade path.

If Apple released an OS that rendered the phone essentially unusable when upgraded, then they have an obligation to restore it back to an operable state. I'm sorry - you can't tell your customers it's safe to do something to a functioning device that then causes said device to cease functioning. Certainly not without expecting that those customers will get pissed off. Really pissed off. In this case, pissed off enough to sue you.

Apple sanctioned an upgrade that screwed up the phones (mine couldn't even answer 70% of incoming calls!), and then refused to address the problem. We had no way of fixing the phone. The solution was to buy a new phone. Period. Preferably one not manufactured by Apple.

Why is it so hard to understand that's not OK?

Introduce a downgrade path to iOS 3.2 and - poof! - no problem. Phone works again.

I'd like to know how many Apple defenders in this thread were affected by this issue. My guess is zero. If you'd had a phone that you paid good $$ for that stopped working, you'd understand.
  • Reply 176 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

Meh 2 years is a long time in tech age, I mean look how long they supported power pc processors until snow leopard came out. If the want to stop support so be it. Move on and I believe there a "billion dollar mammoth" not a measly couple million bucks

Snow Leopard doesn't support PowerPC. This is not a fair comparison. Apple didn't push Snow Leopard onto PowerPC based Macs, rendering them nearly useless with no path to get back to the previous functionality.

We had 2 3G's. One slowed down drastically with OS 4.0, the other slowed down and lost WiFi and bluetooth. Of course, Apple had just expired so we were out of luck. I would have been disappointed if that morning I woke up and the phone just wouldn't turn on. Then the "it's two years old and a tech dinosaur" argument may have some basis. When the manufacturer sends an update that renders the phone far less useful than before, it's not unreasonable to be upset. Apple controls both the hardware and software. It's reasonable to assume that the release was thoroughly tested before it was pushed out.