New iMac already acting up

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I bought a new iMac at the Apple Store yesterday, but quickly noticed a half inch or so long pinkish (or teal-ish) line on the screen that's visible mostly over white or lightly colored backgrounds. It's not big (yet), and you can't see it over darker backgrounds, but it obviously shouldn't be there AT ALL .... especially in a brand new system.

You spend 1200 bucks on new system, the last thing you want to deal with is a defect. Now I need to take it back to the Apple Store on tomorrow. I have the receipt and the original box.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? Someone said to calibrate my display, but that didn't do anything.

I'm not sure weather to ask for a full refund and move on or just exchange it. What would you do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheaciti View Post

I'm not sure weather to ask for a full refund and move on or just exchange it. What would you do?

The weather is fine. What you can do depends on the applicable law(s) where you are, and Apple's warranty rules. Which probably don't include a "full refund".

Besides, what machine would you get for that money that is better than an iMac?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    No such thing as a full refund. You'll get what you paid minus 15%. Exchanging is the way to go.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Demand a new replacement iMac. Except nothing less.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    It might be better to take it on the chin with a restocking fee -- which I thought was 10%, not 15%. In any event, why would the restocking fee apply to a defective product? I could see if the thing didn't have a defect, but the defect is their problem and not mine. And I just bought it so it's well within the 14 day window.

Once I looked into imac screen issues, they seem to occur at a rather alarming rate.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Demand a new replacement iMac. Except nothing less.

I agree with Ireland. Politely insist on a replacement and turn it on in the store before you leave.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    It's just not worth it. If I have to take a 10-15% restocking fee to get a refund, then I'll begrudgingly do that. I wasn't completely satisfied with the iMac anyway and I need something I'm truly happy with as I hope to have it for the next 3-5 years. The thing ran way too hot for my liking, especially the top left of the monitor. It's something I'd be constantly worried about. I wasn't doing anything intensive on it.

I'd probably get a comparably priced Windows 7 machine with an i7, 8 GB RAM, 1 GB VRAM, a 1 TB HD and maybe a Blu Ray drive.

I also need to return the AppleCare I bought, which was never opened.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

It's just not worth it. If I have to take a 10-15% restocking fee to get a refund, then I'll begrudgingly do that. I wasn't completely satisfied with the iMac anyway and I need something I'm truly happy with as I hope to have it for the next 3-5 years. The thing ran way too hot for my liking, especially the top left of the monitor. It's something I'd be constantly worried about. I wasn't doing anything intensive on it.

I'd probably get a comparably priced Windows 7 machine with an i7, 8 GB RAM, 1 GB VRAM, a 1 TB HD and maybe a Blu Ray drive.

Good luck with your new machine!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

I bought a new iMac at the Apple Store yesterday, but quickly noticed a half inch or so long pinkish (or teal-ish) line on the screen that's visible mostly over white or lightly colored backgrounds. It's not big (yet), and you can't see it over darker backgrounds, but it obviously shouldn't be there AT ALL .... especially in a brand new system.

You spend 1200 bucks on new system, the last thing you want to deal with is a defect. Now I need to take it back to the Apple Store on tomorrow. I have the receipt and the original box.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? Someone said to calibrate my display, but that didn't do anything.

personally I would exchange it for a brand new one. Even a new car you buy can be a lemon. Give it another shot.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Depending the on the laws where you live, I would have thought for a defective product that you could choose either a brand-new replacement or a 100% refund. Restocking fees (which don't exist in the UK but I understand are common in the US) surely only apply to returning a fully functioning product you simply have decided you don't want anymore - if it's faulty, I can't see how a restocking fee could ever apply.

Still, it's true that no computer company provides 100% reliable products - even the highest quality manufacturer will give you the odd dud - that's what the warranty is there for. Certainly it's possible you'll buy a Windows 7 machine which might also have a fault, but presumably you won't decide you don't want any kind of computer then?!

So I wouldn't give up on the Mac just because of only faulty machine - insist on a brand-new iMac and see how that goes. If the second one is faulty, then maybe insist on a full refund on that one and go back to a Windows PC.

Still, it sounds like you have other issues with you Mac so if you think you've truly made a mistake buying Mac, it could be a good thing it's faulty as it allows you to return for a 100% refund, whereas if you'd just changed your mind you'd have to pay the restock fee.

Still, it seems a shame - it doesn't sound like you had your Mac for very long, so maybe you doubts about it were coloured by the fact that the machine had a fault and not having enough time to get used to how a Mac works - I know I wondered if I'd made a mistake when I got my first Mac but you have to give it a little while to see if you get used to it.

Also, if you list what caused you issues with the Mac on this forum, people are very helpful (especially if you tell them you're a switcher having doubts, they don't want to lose a convert!) - it may be something that they can very easily explain to you and it's not a big deal at all.

Of course I agree you want to be happy with a long-term purchase you're spending lots of money on - but don't forget, you must have had some reasons for choosing Mac over PC when you bought this iMac - don't forget what those were and to take them in to consideration when you decide whether you want to try and new Mac or go back to a PC - it's possible you could regret buying your PC as much as you regret buying a Mac, so be sure to consider all your options and try not to let this experience affect your judgement too much.

Either way it would be great if you came back and told us what you decided and what happened when you returned the machine, because I'd like to know how Apple handles your return - a new iMac should certainly be offered without you having to ask, and I wouldn't be happy if they resisted a full refund too much either...