Test shows Apple's iOS 4.2 further improves iPhone 3G performance

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's iOS 4.2 software update, set for release this month, offers improved performance on Apple's second-generation iPhone 3G, first released in 2008, a new hands-on demonstration shows.

TiPb took the golden master of iOS 4.2 and installed it on an iPhone 3G to test its performance. The software is believed to be the final version of the iOS software update, which is scheduled to be released for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad this month.

A video of the handset's performance shows that the device is much more responsive to touches, as well as doing activities like loading websites. While not as fast as an iPhone 4, the iPhone 3G has just a quarter of the 512MB of RAM found in Apple's latest phone.

After iOS 4 was released, iPhone 3G users complained that the software ran extremely slow on their device. The iPhone 3G also does not run some features of iOS 4 found on newer, more powerful handsets, such as multitasking and background wallpapers.

Apple addressed some of iPhone 3G performance concerns with the release of iOS 4.1. However, some users have remained dissatisfied with the performance of their smartphone with Apple's latest mobile operating system.

One recent lawsuit has taken aim at Apple for the performance of the iPhone 3G, dubbing it the "iBrick." The California suit alleges that Apple engaged in "unsavory, dishonest and deceptive business practices" by offering iOS 4 with subpar performance to iPhone 3G users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    I guess we'll find out when my friend who is on 4.1 and has a 3G hates the current speeds. I just think he's jealous his wife has an i4.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

One recent lawsuit has taken aim at Apple for the performance of the iPhone 3G, dubbing it the "iBrick." The California suit alleges that Apple engaged in "unsavory, dishonest and deceptive business practices" by offering iOS 4 with subpar performance to iPhone 3G users.

Apple certainly did. I was going to get an iPhone 4 anyway as soon as they came out. Apple didn't need to force my hand by ruining my 3G and then make the new phone all but impossible to get for months. Poor show.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Quote:

Apple's iOS 4.2 software update, set for release this month, offers improved performance on Apple's second-generation iPhone 3G, first released in 2008, a new hands-on demonstration shows.

Improved? Over what?
  • Reply 4 of 40
    4.0 hurt the performance of my 3g. This is good news. I'll put gold master on that phone tonight.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    What's painfully slow is the demonstrator's poor performance.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    So does this mean that Iphone 4 will run faster?
  • Reply 7 of 40
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

golden master of iOS 4.2 and installed it on an iPhone 3G to test its performance.

Golden Master. That is such a funny concept now days. Back in the early 90's when CD burning was just coming into vogue, the burners were thousands of dollars and the discs were like $10 each. There were regular discs which were silver and then there were the gold ones which were even more expensive. When you sent your software to manufacturing you always used the more expensive gold discs to help make sure there were no errors. Of course iPhone software never gets stored on a CD-Rom of any sort, yet they continue to refer to it as GM.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    I'm hoping the v4.2 improvements include GPS performance improvements. They have still a way to go with that. Touch response needs improvement too.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    The new voice memos icon is really ugly. I like the old one much better.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Golden Master. That is such a funny concept now days. Back in the early 90's when CD burning was just coming into vogue, the burners were thousands of dollars and the discs were like $10 each. There were regular discs which were silver and then there were the gold ones which were even more expensive. When you sent your software to manufacturing you always used the more expensive gold discs to help make sure there were no errors. Of course iPhone software never gets stored on a CD-Rom of any sort, yet they continue to refer to it as GM.

This oddly comes up from time to time. You are referring to Gold Master, but if the name was exactly the same it still wouldn’t change the well worn meanings of the words “gold” and “master” to mean exactly what it implies.

Whilst ‘gold’ and ‘master' appear to be a well known polysemes, Golden Master isn’t a true polyseme of Gold Master since the noun Gold was altered to the adjective Golden, but it’s certainly related and there is evidence to imply that is exactly what Apple did when naming their software releases Golden Masters 22 years ago, according to the following link.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

The new voice memos icon is really ugly. I like the old one much better.

I keep thinking it a Lincoln logo on my iPhone (having such a car, it's the first thing that comes to mind.)
  • Reply 12 of 40
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbyrd View Post

Apple certainly did. I was going to get an iPhone 4 anyway as soon as they came out. Apple didn't need to force my hand by ruining my 3G and then make the new phone all but impossible to get for months. Poor show.

Agreed 100%...
  • Reply 13 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

...Whist Gold Master appears to be a well known polyseme,...

What is a Whist Gold Master? A championship card player?

• Reply 14 of 40
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This oddly comes up from time to time. You are referring to Gold Master, but if the name was exactly the same it still wouldn?t change the well worn meanings of the words ?gold? and ?master? to mean exactly what it implies.

Whist Gold Master appears to be a well known polyseme, Golden Master isn?t a true polyseme since the noun Gold was altered to the adjective Golden, but it?s certainly related and there is evidence to imply that is exactly what Apple did when naming their software releases Golden Masters 22 years ago, according to the following link.

Just curious - what are some other meanings for 'Gold Master'? I can't think of any. I even did a search.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbyrd View Post

Apple didn?t force you to upgrade from 3.1.x, did they?
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Just curious - what are some other meanings for 'Gold Master'? I can't think of any. I even did a search.

Ah, I can see how that can be confusing, I am referencing the separate terms ?gold? and ?master?, as indicated in the first paragraph.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Seems quite snappy.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

Apple didn?t force you to upgrade from 3.1.x, did they?

Of course not, and those who have been claiming Apple did it on purpose to force users to get a device that was already selling out is Tinfoil Foolishness, but they offer the update and it did hinder the usability for many iPhone 3G users. Granted, they would replace your device with a new iPhone 3G if you had an issue, but it would be nice to have an easy way to fall back a generation for issues like this (which will creep up again) or other issues that are less widespread (like an app not designed to work with a new iOS version). I don?t think it?s unreasonable for users to expect an update to fairly well.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    I have been using iOS 4.1 with the iPhone 4 and absolutely love it. Then I have to go back to the iPad without it and it makes using the iPad an absolute mess. I've actually curtailed my usage of the iPad until 4.2 comes out.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

I have been using iOS 4.1 with the iPhone 4 and absolutely love it. Then I have to go back to the iPad without it and it makes using the iPad an absolute mess. I've actually curtailed my usage of the iPad until 4.2 comes out.

I finally installed 4.2 on my iPad this weekend. Much nicer. We should be seeing it soon since it is 'Golden Master' after all.