Test shows Apple's iOS 4.2 further improves iPhone 3G performance

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    derevderev Posts: 64member
    But will it support daylight savings time?

Currently you must manually set the time and if you then choose auto update, it reverts the time to previous default of no daylight savings.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    @mstone...

Great history there man. Always good to hear about the old days.

:-)

@the people that got their 3G's 'broke'...

Isn't there documentation to back that upgrade out? And really, what did you get with iOS4 that you couldn't live without? Folders? C'moooon.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

Apple didn?t force you to upgrade from 3.1.x, did they?

No, but they did force the option of not allowing the ability to wipe the iPhone and reinstall 3.1.x, even though according to their documentation you should be able to go to a previous version. Unless that has recently changed and holding down the Option key on a Restore is no longer allowed.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I finally installed 4.2 on my iPad this weekend. Much nicer. We should be seeing it soon since it is 'Golden Master' after all.

That's nice to know. Can't wait to use AirPlay with my ATV2
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Why is this one video floating around the web now the barometer for 3G performance? It's one user spending too much time in Safari. Wait until real 3G users get the update and see how it impacts the phones they have been using.

Pretty lame as a barometer of performance and doesn't warrant the press it's been given.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthias03 View Post

@mstone...

@the people that got their 3G's 'broke'...

Isn't there documentation to back that upgrade out? And really, what did you get with iOS4 that you couldn't live without? Folders? C'moooon.

No, apple does not let you go back. You can do it with non-apple approved methods. In my case I just kept the 3.2 firmware file because i am an apple developer.

Folders and game center is a big deal and many 3g users want 4.0 and 4.1 for just those reasons.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

No, but once upgraded, they forced me to keep using 4.x by making it very difficult to go back to 3.1.3.

Well, in the end I invested the time to find the tools and downgraded to 3.1.3 only to upgrade to 4.1 when it came out (and sell the phone since I finally managed to get a 32 GB iPhone 4).
  • Reply 28 of 40
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Looking forward with iOS 4.2.

Does anyone know when Apple will release it?
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

Soon. Gm means they are serious about release and it will probably be first public release. I assume they are finishing up the mac osx release and iTunes release necessary for the update.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

I'm going to wait until it comes out in a white version.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    steve-jsteve-j Posts: 320member
    Quote:

HAR!

Yeah - Apple didn't force him, so no matter what, nothing can be pinned on Apple! Brilliant!
  • Reply 32 of 40
    steve-jsteve-j Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

I have been using iOS 4.1 with the iPhone 4 and absolutely love it. Then I have to go back to the iPad without it and it makes using the iPad an absolute mess. I've actually curtailed my usage of the iPad until 4.2 comes out.

Fragmentation can ruin an OS.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Soon. Gm means they are serious about release and it will probably be first public release. I assume they are finishing up the mac osx release and iTunes release necessary for the update.

Ok good to know. Thanks.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:

That's pretty lame. An expectation of quality exists with any manufacturer, especially a high quality one like Apple. Plus not everyone reads these blogs for reviews that say it slows down the device, one should have the expectation that Apple did appropriate QC.

If IOS4 wasn't ready for the iPhone 3G at the same time as the 3GS and 4, then Apple simply shouldn't have released it until it was further along.

The 3GS and 4 are quantum leaps from the 3G, and the software should reflect that.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    If 4.2 makes Words With Friends run faster on my 3G I'll be happy. If not I guess a downgrade is in my future.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

If 4.2 makes Words With Friends run faster on my 3G I'll be happy. If not I guess a downgrade is in my future.

My guess it has less to do with the iOS and rather more to do with WWF's servers.

But yes, my WWF updates are extremely slow.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    some say update comes today
  • Reply 38 of 40
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Will it wake me up in the morning on weekdays??? Now that would be a phone!!!
  • Reply 39 of 40
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    4.0 ruined my iPhone 3G experience and 4.1 was only temporarily better.

I really hope 4.2 does the job, as otherwise they send a message that an iOS4 device only has a lifetime of 2 years. Can't wait to try it.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    apple should have a simple and easy itunes based "downgrade" option for a period of time

for all updates