Verizon debuts TV spot advertising Apple's iPad with MiFi

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
In an uncharacteristic move, Apple has allowed its new carrier partner, Verizon, to create its own commercial for the iPad, advertising that the touchscreen tablet can now be bought with a MiFi for on-the-go connectivity.

Verizon debuted the new commercial, entitled "Breakaway," on national TV this week. The largest wireless carrier in the U.S. began selling the Wi-Fi-only iPad, bundled with a 3G MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot, late last month.

The commercial touts that "all of the magic of iPad" is now available with the "nationwide power and reliability of Verizon." It depicts an iPad user sitting inside a home, but the floor and walls begin to break away, leaving him sitting on a coastline using the device.

The commercial is particularly noteworthy because Apple is a company very controlling of its own image. For example, AT&T, the exclusive carrier of the iPhone in the U.S., does not create its own commercials for Apple's handset.

The commercial could be a sign of things to come: Verizon is widely expected to begin carrying a CDMA version of Apple's iPhone starting in January of 2011. That information has been independently confirmed by The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, and Fortune.

It has been reported that control over the iPhone -- including advertising of it -- was a major point of contention between Verizon and Apple in 2005. The carrier and Apple could not come to a deal, and the device debuted on AT&T's network in 2007.

But in order to bring the iPhone to Verizon, Apple may be compromising -- as evidenced by the iPad commercial. Fortune also reported in October that Verizon's iPhone is expected to offer special features, like live TV for customers of Verizon's FiOS cable service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The commercial is particularly noteworthy because Apple is a company very controlling of its own image.

Hence "all the magic of the iPad". Verizon guys rolling their eyes at it until they get a stern look from the Apple rep overseeing the commercial production.

Quote:

For example, AT&T, the exclusive carrier of the iPhone in the U.S., does not create its own commercials for Apple's handset.

That's just because they're idiots. They couldn't put out a good commercial even if Apple wrote one for them.

Quote:

Verizon is widely expected to begin carrying a CDMA version of Apple's iPhone starting in January of 2011.

Ah, still on that kick. Where've we heard this before? OH! The months leading up to January 2008, 2009, 2010...

Quote:

That information has been independently confirmed by The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, and Fortune.

Oh, so Apple told each of them individually that there will be a Verizon iPhone? Apple. Specifically. With proof of this action. Thought so.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    If the compromise is that they let Verizon do their own ads and they keep their hands off the iPhone itself, fine by me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, still on that kick. Where've we heard this before? OH! The months leading up to January 2008, 2009, 2010...

Only because you weren't paying attention. For the past few years, every even mildly credible rumor pointed to late 2010 (so early 2011 is pretty accurate time-wise). Anyone who thinks there were rumors that pointed to anything earlier than that either weren't reading/understanding the rumors, or where foolish enough to have believed the stupidest rumors that were out there.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Anyone who thinks there were rumors that pointed to anything earlier than that either weren't reading/understanding the rumors, or where foolish enough to have believed the stupidest rumors that were out there.

I never believed them. Just like I don't believe them now. Zero proof. I'll believe it when Steve Jobs is standing on stage with a Verizon logo on the screen behind him.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Look Apple is a public company that concedes to the whims of stockholder and wall street pressure. Now I know how much we would like to think of Apple as a kind of maverick but they ain't.

They have to follow the money. That is business.

I also had a feeling that Apple wasn't on Verizon because Verizon wants demonic control over their tech!

But if iphone goes on Verizon I don't think the itunes experience will be the same. And without the finely tuned Apple media ecosystem on the iphone it ain't worth the money IMHO. There would also be a bunch of Verizon effing apps pre-installed. Yuck!

Fu** Vcast!!
  • Reply 5 of 39
    The camera should come back in 4 hours when the battery for that wifi device wears out.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    Quote:

I never believed them. Just like I don't believe them now. Zero proof. I'll believe it when Steve Jobs is standing on stage with a Verizon logo on the screen behind him.

True, it all remains to be seen. But you have to admit that the "perfect storm" of rumors has been mounting and all pointing to the next few months. I haven't seen this consistent of a set of rumors for any product since, well, ever.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

The camera should come back in 4 hours when the battery for that wifi device wears out.

And it should show the other 4 devices that are all sharing the same data plan.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Thats when someone makes an attachment to power the MiFI from the iPad. Do you think the USB dongle in the iPad camera connection kit will give power to the Mifi? Just wondering.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    "If the compromise is that they let Verizon do their own ads and they keep their hands off the iPhone itself, fine by me."

Although rushing to Verizon is not in my future, it would be a huge disappointment to see a Verizon logo on the back.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    Except for the voiceover mentioning Apple, the ads don't include any Apple logo or branding at the end. So the question is who made that choice? Did Apple refuse to have their logo on a commercial they didn't make, or is it Verizon's demand?
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Why aren't they advertising price?
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:

Hence "all the magic of the iPad". Verizon guys rolling their eyes at it until they get a stern look from the Apple rep overseeing the commercial production.

That's just because they're idiots. They couldn't put out a good commercial even if Apple wrote one for them.

There's no doubt that Apple did not give up the right to final approval of any Verizon ads featuring their products. You better believe it. And yes, Verizon's commercials are bloated and repulsive (as bad in their own way as AT&T's). But since Apple must approve these ads, they will be far less so.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    This is a nice commercial. Odd how there is no Apple logo around, but I like how it conveys openness. Not that Apple is open, but how their network isn't congested like AT&Ts network. At least that's how I read it.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Apple needed to keep a little distance from this Verizon advertisement. The selling point of the Verizon ad is the Verizon network, obviously at the expense of Apple's parter AT&T. If/when other providers get the iPhone in the US you might very well see iPhones mentioned in 2 different types of ads: Apple ads that may say "available on AT&T, Verizon, ..." and then AT&T and Verizon ads that mention the iPhone as one of their available devices. Apple shouldn't be funding or being involved in the latter type of ad.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Quote:

Look, I understand (but don't share) your skepticism regarding the Verizon iPhone rumors. However, you have to be dishonest to insist that this time is the same as all those other times.

1) Almost all the less fantastical rumors suggested that the original ATT iPhone exclusivity contract was 5 years, but was then reduced to 3 years when ATT stopped revenue sharing with Apple. We have now passed that 3 year time frame.

2) The manufacturing rumors (which tend to be the strongest) point to CDMA iPhones being manufactured. Of course these need not be for Verizon, but still, its more than last time round.

3) Lots of legitimate newspapers have done profiles, and stories on this. Both the NY Times and the WSJ had front page articles on the iPhone coming to Verizon. In the past they have said that "rumors suggest that the iPhone will be coming to Verizon" at best, as opposed to saying their own investigation suggests that.

4) The profile of the Verizon CEO showed a clear desire within Verizon to get the iPhone. Their financial numbers showed why this desire exists.

5) Android is now providing legitimate competition to iOS, something that hadn't existed till about 6 months ago.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Why aren't they advertising price?

Because they are complex and basically the same as AT&Ts.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Quote:

Just curious. Why do you find this so hard to believe? Could you please elaborate a little?
  • Reply 18 of 39
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Is it because it is an ad for a Verizon product, and not an Apple one?

This isn't an Apple ad, it's an ad touting Verizon thingie
  • Reply 19 of 39
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Oh, so Apple told each of them individually that there will be a Verizon iPhone? Apple. Specifically. With proof of this action. Thought so.

I spent the better part of the past 3 years saying, not going to happen yet, but the last 3 months seems to be overwhelming to me that I can?t help but think it?s likely.

Quote:

Not having proof doesn?t mean it?s not true, and you can certainly hold your ground because the rumours haven?t been true for the past 3 years running, but there seems to be enough anecdotal and circumstantial evidence from various newspapers in the US to factories in China sourcing parts to even Verizon making a very ?Apple-like? ad that focuses on the iPad more than the Verizon MiFi device, I have to think these rumours are now true.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    this MIFI dingily is not so great for hulu/netflix type streaming on a mac .

Also if VERIZON IS SO WORTHY THEN WHY DOES it refuse to offer support to apple clients with it's FREE WIFI if you get a FIOS DEAL.

Also at work if you get high sped DSL you also get FREE WIFI ,.. WELL you get free wifi if you lover steve balmer .

If you love Steve jobs your fucked ,

Why do windows people reap the good stuff??

and us lonely mac heads suffer ??

in a nutshell I F VERIZON CAN SUPPORT IPAD >>THEN VERIZON CAN SUPPORT MBP .

HELLO SPRINT IN 2011