Apple board member Bill Campbell cut ties to Google over rivalry

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

In this article at least, it is attributed to Steve Jobs, speaking about Campbell. Not that Steve is any great expert in these matters.

Right you are. I am apparently easily disoriented by line breaks.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Quote:

But I can say that many years ago, I interviewed Guy Kawasaki, and I asked him about Steve Jobs. He told me that trying to describe Steve was like trying to explain air to a fish.

I think that specific quote was repeated by Kawasaki in the recent Bloomberg TV "Game Changers" documentary on Steve Jobs. Guess it continues to be relevant. Or else Guy hasn't come up with anything new to say about him since your interview.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Mockery has always been the last refuge of the ignorant.

No, the 'last reduge' of the ignorant is an inflated (and unwarranted) sense of superiority and self-righteousness, something you and mr gore share in common!

p.s. Beware of manbearpig.. he'll get you! I'm super serial.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:

Apple Board of Director member and Intuit Chairman Bill Campbell...SNIP

I never knew this guy was on the board. I totally 'think differently' of Apple now. Intuit is pure fodder.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NormM View Post

Gore's assertion that he "took the initiative in creating the Internet" is literally true, however much ignorant assholes laugh about it.

Gore's claim makes about as much sense as if Andy Bechtolsheim claimed he invented Google.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    This is not a political blog. There are many fine political blogs of all stripes where you can go to snipe at your favorite liberal or conservative bêtes noir.

I am not being self-righteous. I have been guilty of being led down this particular rat hole myself on occasion. Others were kind enough to remind me of my folly. Just passing it forward.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I think that specific quote was repeated by Kawasaki in the recent Bloomberg TV "Game Changers" documentary on Steve Jobs. Guess it continues to be relevant. Or else Guy hasn't come up with anything new to say about him since your interview.

It was -- made me laugh when I heard him say it again, though I'm sure he's used that line hundreds of times. My interview with Guy was about ten years ago, when he was flogging one of his books. I got the impression that he'd prefer not to answer Steve questions, and this was his stock enigmatic throw-away laugh line when people ask them. I took the hint, as I imagine most interviewers would.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NormM View Post

Gore is widely acknowledged by the academic inventors of the internet, such as Viinton Cerf and Bob Kahn, for his singular legislative role in making the commercial internet a reality and for providing "intellectual leadership by helping create the vision of the potential benefits of high speed computing and communication" (see their note, Al Gore's support of the Internet, by V.Cerf and B.Kahn). Gore's assertion that he "took the initiative in creating the Internet" is literally true, however much ignorant assholes laugh about it.

"The" Internet is such a complex, nearly organic thing, any one individual laying claim to "creating the Internet" only demonstrates what an ignorant, arrogant person they are. Not so ignorant as to curse in a public forum, but still pretty ignorant .
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Quote:

I can see your snark goes up to 11. I won't even try to compete with that.

But I can say that many years ago, I interviewed Guy Kawasaki, and I asked him about Steve Jobs. He told me that trying to describe Steve was like trying to explain air to a fish.

So you figure it out.

The following is widely directed, and not specific to your commentary except in those cases where it in fact applies.

What is always interesting to me is the persistent insistence by bloggers and commenters to apply common-man standards to "captains of industry". The very nature of the role demands something far different than the casual affability of a neighborhood bartender, the approachability of a sympathetic neighbor, or the bonhomme of a used car saleman. They may, among the Gateses, Carnegies, Rockafellers, Hills, Procters, Morgans and like ilk dsiplay some of these traits widely or among their friends, but I submit that the very nature of their drive and passion makes them cut of a different cloth than perhaps you and I. I doubt that any of the above even were they able, woudl spend any significant time in a blog site, let alone conduct pointed back and forth debates in text.

If they were in fact "like us", they either wouldn't be the leaders they are, or else we all would be leaders like them. So to persist in jibing and cajoling about their personalities seems rather silly. Of course Larry is an eccentric samuri wannabe, Steve Jobs distant and calculating, Bill Gates a nerd-fronted ruthless businessman, and Eric Schmidt, well I'm not even going there. Yes there are common characteristics and expectations around behavior, but these people are different for a reason - and that difference is why Steve Jobs is off somewhere driving his people crazy trying to push the envelope still further, instead of lurking here and poking fun at Steve Ballmer's antics.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

The following is widely directed, and not specific to your commentary except in those cases where it in fact applies.

What is always interesting to me is the persistent insistence by bloggers and commenters to apply common-man standards to "captains of industry". The very nature of the role demands something far different than the casual affability of a neighborhood bartender, the approachability of a sympathetic neighbor, or the bonhomme of a used car saleman. They may, among the Gateses, Carnegies, Rockafellers, Hills, Procters, Morgans and like ilk dsiplay some of these traits widely or among their friends, but I submit that the very nature of their drive and passion makes them cut of a different cloth than perhaps you and I. I doubt that any of the above even were they able, woudl spend any significant time in a blog site, let alone conduct pointed back and forth debates in text.

If they were in fact "like us", they either wouldn't be the leaders they are, or else we all would be leaders like them. So to persist in jibing and cajoling about their personalities seems rather silly. Of course Larry is an eccentric samuri wannabe, Steve Jobs distant and calculating, Bill Gates a nerd-fronted ruthless businessman, and Eric Schmidt, well I'm not even going there. Yes there are common characteristics and expectations around behavior, but these people are different for a reason - and that difference is why Steve Jobs is off somewhere driving his people crazy trying to push the envelope still further, instead of lurking here and poking fun at Steve Ballmer's antics.

So you are agreeing with me? I'm sure I didn't say or even remotely imply that Steve ought to be like regular folks. In fact in other discussions of this kind I've pointed out that you don't have to like the person to appreciate what he's accomplished.