Mac OS X 10.6.5, iTunes 10.1 to arrive Wednesday, iOS 4.2 Friday - rumor

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple will launch Mac OS X 10.6.5 and iTunes 10.1 on Wednesday, Nov. 10, and iOS 4.2 for iPhone and iPad on Friday, Nov. 12, according to a new rumor.

Citing an inside source at AT&T, MacStories reported Tuesday that iOS 4.2 will be released on Friday at 10 a.m. The update, which will mark the debut of iOS 4 on the iPad, will require iTunes 10.1 to be installed.

iOS 4.2 will bring AirPrint and AirPlay to the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, allowing users to wirelessly print and stream music and video to connected devices. Mac users need Mac OS X 10.6.5 to share a printer with an iOS device, while Windows users will access a printer through iTunes 10.1.

iOS 4.2 was released to developers as a golden master on Nov. 1. That status implies that the software is finalized and will be identical to the eventual public release.

The software update will bring folders and multitasking to the iPad, along with other features iPhone and iPod touch users have enjoyed since the launch of iOS 4 this past summer. iPhone owners will also gain the ability to have custom text message tones with the latest version of iOS.

A new beta of Mac OS X 10.6.5, Apple's forthcoming software and maintenance update for Snow Leopard, was issued to developers on Monday. That software is believed to be near-final, as Apple has already been seeding Mac OS X 10.6.6 betas to developers as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    Well, it would be nice to give 4.2 a whirl. Even better, Apple may exceed expectations and not make us wait until the last day of November (yet still claim 'we released it in November as promised').

With 4.2, the iPad becomes a more powerful tool and further cements it's hold on the tablet market.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Regarding the printing, will it only be available through Mac machines acting as print servers? I wonder if they're going to issue an update for AirPorts that share printers...
  • Reply 3 of 44
    I don't like the iTunes 10 UI and have no desire to upgrade until they restore some color. Why on earth is it required to upgrade the firmware in my iPhone to iOS 4.2? Seems strange.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by initiator View Post

I don't like the iTunes 10 UI and have no desire to upgrade until they restore some color. Why on earth is it required to upgrade the firmware in my iPhone to iOS 4.2? Seems strange.

Airplay maybe? Though a lot of past iOS updates have required an iTunes update too
  • Reply 5 of 44
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Probably because Windows needs it to print and they didn't want the two platforms to be out of parity. It may also have something to do with AirPlay itself and the way it implements home sharing. It does work sweet with the aTV. Been playing around with it since last week.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:

I would think it's required because new features in the firmware require an updated iTunes so they can correctly communicate with each other.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    Apple keeps on chuggin'

Complaints about Apple just seem snarky to me!

I will rely on Stevo and his team of well-paid, overworked PHD's to provide me with an ever improving digital ecosystem.

An ecosystem that only seems to be limited by short-sighted mobile cell providers, the movie industry, television industry, music industry and cable companies.

I, for one, am pleased with the constant improvements Apple makes. I can't wait to be able to print from my iPhone. The iPhone 4 is just "magic!" Especially, when you compare where we were with cell phones just 4 short years ago!

I'm so glad my choices are not limited to MS, Sony, HP, and Dull!

Can't wait to get my 2nd gen 3Gs iPad, too (in January!)

Best

PS. I just read an article in my Sunday's local paper where more and more people are "cutting the chord" with their local cable companies. It's just a matter of time before all sports will be "pay-per-view" like Formula One, Boxing, football games with no commercials over the internet in HD!

PSS. My Apple ecosystem is getting more and more simple. An iPhone 4, a 3Gs iPad, AppleTV, NetFlix, no internet cable provider, no cable TV company, no desktop, no external HD backup, no DVD player, no music player and no cables! just the cloud, baby!
  • Reply 8 of 44
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Hopefully this rumor is true 'cause I don't want to wait for the updates by the end of November.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

Hopefully this rumor is true 'cause I don't want to wait for the updates by the end of November.

What are you going to do mgl323 if it's not true? Not wait?

PS. Me too, i can't wait, either!

Best
  • Reply 10 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

...a matter of time before... ...no commercials over the internet in HD!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Oh, man. I've been having a really bad string of months. That almost made it better.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Oh, man. I've been having a really bad string of months. That almost made it better.

Tallest Skil, did I make your day? Or are you laughing at my prediction(s)?

Best
  • Reply 12 of 44
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    I wonder if they will have graphic drivers for Snow Leopard finally?

Still an army of us stuck in Leopard... waiting... hoping...
  • Reply 13 of 44
    Quote:

Tallest Skil, did I make your day? Or are you laughing at my prediction(s)?

Both. You really believe that they'll give you something in HD, don't you? You really believe it'll be without commercials, don't you?
  • Reply 14 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Both. You really believe that they'll give you something in HD, don't you? You really believe it'll be without commercials, don't you?

Eventually, yes!
  • Reply 15 of 44
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    Quote:

Regarding the printing, will it only be available through Mac machines acting as print servers? I wonder if they're going to issue an update for AirPorts that share printers...

So long as you have a Mac running that has access to the printer that is connected to the airport, you can click the "share this printer on the network" box on the Mac, and you will be able to print to the printer from the iOS device.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

I wonder if they will have graphic drivers for Snow Leopard finally?

Still an army of us stuck in Leopard... waiting... hoping...

This makes no sense as written.

You mean you have some proprietary monitor or something that you need a driver for?
  • Reply 17 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

Wouldn't that require that the Airport act an intermediate with the appropriate printer driver residing on it, thus Apple working with HP (and perhaps others) to offer AirPrint thus bypassing the issue of a hot machine supplying the drivers?
  • Reply 18 of 44
    Quote:

Eventually, yes!

Why? [filler]
  • Reply 19 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I would think it's required because new features in the firmware require an updated iTunes so they can correctly communicate with each other.

That sounds about right Anonymouse. For me, I'd rather wait for iTunes 10.2 (when Apple hopefully fixes numerous problems) than get folders and multi-tasking on my iPad. I'm probably the only one who feels this way though.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Wouldn't that require that the Airport act an intermediate with the appropriate printer driver residing on it, thus Apple working with HP (and perhaps others) to offer AirPrint thus bypassing the issue of a hot machine supplying the drivers?

Yeah, I think it can only work with a) printers that have direct support, and b) "print servers" that have the appropriate driver installed.