Why does Apple's iBookstore not carry certain books? (i.e. George Bush's new book)

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Today George Bush's new book, Decision Points came out but its nowhere to be found on the iBookstore. The Kindle and Nook apps both have it so i found it strange the iBookstore did not. I dont really want to download another eBook reader app just because the iBookstore doesnt have one book but if they dont get it soon I will have to.

Anyone have any ideas on why they are not carrying it? (please leave your bush bashing comments in your head)

I wouldnt doubt the book will get on the NYT best sellers list so ill be curious then what happens in iBooks because I think it lists the book by numbers, just like the NYT does.

Opinions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Licensing. Pure and simple.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I just got a reply to my question to the Crown Publisher's customer service department. Its pasted below:

Good Afternoon, Mr. _________,

Thank you for contacting Random House, we appreciate your feedback and continued interest in our publications.

We do not currently have a release date scheduled for this title in the iBooks format. This book is available in the ePub format from Barnes & Noble, which can be read on the iPad using the complimentary Barnes & Noble eReader application. . For more information, including a list of available free books, newspapers and magazines that can be read on your iPad using this free application, please visit this link: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/BN-e...?cds2Pid=32280

For a link to this particular title in the Barnes & Noble eBook store, please click here:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Dec...ecision+points

Thank you,

Consumer Services

TU-863809

hmmmmm no the answer I was hoping for. I guess i might have to bit the bullet and download a second eBook reader.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lawyered View Post

I just got a reply to my question to the Crown Publisher's customer service department. Its pasted below:

Interesting.

Quote:

Thank you,

Consumer Services

TU-863809

hmmmmm no the answer I was hoping for. I guess i might have to bit the bullet and download a second eBook reader.

Does Random House do business with Apple at all? It is my understanding that many publishers have problems with Apples terms. I'm not sure if Random House is one of them. Atleast iOS is open enough to support several eBook readers.

It would be very interesting to know what the real answer is. This is speculation on my partvbased on something I read quickly some time ago. Plus interest is low because of my being use to carbon based reading materials.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Such a great read.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Opinions?

You complaint is lost on me. One can reasonably infer that you ascribe a political motive for the fact that former President G. W. Bush's book is not available through Apple's iBooks bookstore. If you believe this, then you have no evidence to support your contention.

It is well known that the iBooks store has substantially less inventory than other electronic bookstores. You may rest assured that Apple is working like a Trojan to change this fact, but it is a work in progress. The larger truth is that it does not matter. Every electronic book in Amazon.com's inventory is available to readers using iPads, iPhones, and iPod touches. This is why Amazon.com released the Kindle app for iOS. Every electronic book in Barnes & Noble's inventory is available to readers using iPads, iPhones, and iPod touches. This is why Barnes & Noble released the nook app for iOS. Be reminded that these two reader apps and others were all approved by Apple.

In today's ebook market, the iBooks app is just another option. Without it, you may still have more books on your iOS device than you could ever hope to read.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

You complaint is lost on me. One can reasonably infer that you ascribe a political motive for the fact that former President G. W. Bush's book is not available through Apple's iBooks bookstore. If you believe this, then you have no evidence to support your contention.

I dont see how you thought I inferred there was a political reason behind Apple not carrying GWB's book.

"One" could also "reasonable infer" that since my username is Lawyered, I am a lawyer; thus, I wouldnt have made an inference without anything to support it.

Lawyered.

(for those of you who watch 'How I Met Your Mother' you will understand the reference)
  • Reply 7 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

"One" could also "reasonable infer" that since my username is Lawyered, I am a lawyer; thus, I wouldnt have made an inference without anything to support it.

I only ever hear the term on television. When the term is used there, it refers to someone who has secured the services of an attorney. It does not refer to the attorney whose services have been secured. The upshot is that one cannot reasonably infer from your username that you are an attorney. Perhaps if one watched that TV show, then one could. However, I don't so I can't.

My larger point remains. Apple presents no barrier to any iPad user who wants to read the former President's book on his/her iPad.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

I only ever hear the term on television. When the term is used there, it refers to someone who has secured the services of an attorney. It does not refer to the attorney whose services have been secured. The upshot is that one cannot reasonably infer from your username that you are an attorney. Perhaps if one watched that TV show, then one could. However, I don't so I can't.

Im going to go with the term "lawyered" has never been used on television in any context other than that in the show 'How I Met Your Mother'. I reference you to the urban dictionary (since it is obviously a slang word): http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lawyered

I am assuming you are referring to the term "lawyering up" or "she lawyered up". Which, yes, it means to get a lawyer but that’s not the same as the act of being "lawyered".

Think about it grammatically, what does lawyer (a noun) mean? A person who can represent or advise people in the area of law. Pretty simple. What does "ed" mean? It is an ending for past tense verbs. So by that logic you add an "ed" at the end of "lawyer" and you change in into a verb. Now you have the verb of lawyer and it being in the past.

The only way to interpret that is the "past act of having a state of being that is the definition of lawyer" (that is a mouthful but it’s the only way I could think to say it). Therefore, because lawyers typical work with evidence and proofs and arguments. The act of being lawyered can only mean that a lawyer proved you wrong. This is of course assuming nobody would use the term if they themselves were wrong or if there were not a lawyer. “Lawyering up” or “lawyered up” is used a different way and always has a different context.

So you don’t have to watch ‘How I Met Your Mother’ to assume I am an attorney. You do have to understand basic grammar.