Can my iPad substitute my MacBook Pro? (if I buy a iMac in its place)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was walking home from work the other day and I realized that my late-2009 macbook pro (15" 3.06ghz /w 500gb @7200rpm) had been sitting in its dock (connected to an older 19" LCD monitor and apple keyboard/mouse/trackpad) for about four solid months without being "undocked." I use it everyday it just doesnt move.

Ever since I got my iPad I havent brought my macbook anywhere and I thought to myself any situations where I would bring my macbook because I needed to do something my 3G iPad couldnt. I couldnt think of anywhere. I am flying back home for christmas (NYC - Seattle) - wont be bringing the macbook (will bring the iPad). Going on vaca March 2011 - wont bring the macbook (will bring the iPad).

So my thinking was it might benefit me to sell my macbook pro (probably about $2000 on ebay) and then buy a 27" iMac with the proceeds. My thinking is that I can get a much larger screen, more ram, more processing power, and better graphics card without spending any money.

What do you think? Pro's? Con's?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lawyered View Post

So my thinking was it might benefit me to sell my macbook pro (probably about $2000 on ebay)

Not in 2,000 years.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Not in 2,000 years.

That isnt very helpful . . . .
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist

Not in 2,000 years.

Quote:

That isnt very helpful . . . .

Neither is your fantasy.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Neither is your fantasy.

I asked for advice, you are not giving it. What part do you think is a fantasy? The purpose of the question (i.e. logistically if it equals) or that I could sell my macbook for $2000? If its the later youre 100% wrong but ill hear you out if you want to EXPLAIN your reasoning on the logistics.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

I asked for advice, you are not giving it. What part do you think is a fantasy? The purpose of the question (i.e. logistically if it equals) or that I could sell my macbook for $2000? If its the later youre 100% wrong but ill hear you out if you want to EXPLAIN your reasoning on the logistics.

Obviously a 27" quadcore iMac can replace a stationary MBP more than adequately. But I think you're dreaming if you think you can flog a year old 15" MBP for US$ 2,000. My advice is: rethink your plan.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    We shall see. I revise my estimate, $1700-$2000. Ill list it on sunday and post the link (if your curious what it ends up going for).
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Here is the link to the ebay auction if anyone is curious what it ends up selling for: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT

I already purchased the iMac, I went with the 2.93 quad core /w 8gb ram so ill have to spend a little bit more than what the macbook will sell for (I just hope its not $1000 more)
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Here is the link to the ebay auction if anyone is curious what it ends up selling for: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT

I already purchased the iMac, I went with the 2.93 quad core /w 8gb ram so ill have to spend a little bit more than what the macbook will sell for (I just hope its not $1000 more)

If anyone was curious, I did end up selling it for $2000 but I had to throw in a used magic mouse. Some guy messaged me and I sold it outside of ebay, although for those of you who are suspicious at that, it was selling for $1725 with 30 hours left in the auction (which i think you can check if you look at the bid history on the item). So boooya.

I also admit that it sold for more than it was worth. Realistically nobody should have paid over $1700 for it. If it did sell (even if it stayed at $1725) it would have been the highest paid price for that model.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

If it did sell (even if it stayed at $1725) it would have been the highest paid price for that model.

See? That's what I meant.

And what did the iMac + 8GB cost you (WTF do you need 8GB for)?

I trust you also have an adequate external hard disk set up with Time Machine for a backup system?

If you run Teamviewer (free for personal use) on your iMac and your iPad then you can operate your iMac from wherever you are via your iPad and the internet as if you sat in front of your iMac. Totally secure.

So: yes, an iPad and an iMac easily substitute for a MacBook Pro. The combination is more portable and more powerful. But also more expensive.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

See? That's what I meant.

And what did the iMac + 8GB cost you (WTF do you need 8GB for)?

I trust you also have an adequate external hard disk set up with Time Machine for a backup system?

If you run Teamviewer (free for personal use) on your iMac and your iPad then you can operate your iMac from wherever you are via your iPad and the internet as if you sat in front of your iMac. Totally secure.

So: yes, an iPad and an iMac easily substitute for a MacBook Pro. The combination is more portable and more powerful. But also more expensive.

the imac was $2449. I dont need 8gbs for anything special, i just like it. Yeah i have time machine backup connected to my airport extreme base station and then i do a hard time machine back up as well every few months to a different HD.

Interesting, ill have to check out teamviewer.