Apple may delay support for AirPrint through Macs and Windows PCs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    Maybe Apple just found out they infringed on someone else's patent and they are in negotiations.\
  • Reply 42 of 63
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

They look foolish when they announce stuff and then can't come through. Like the white iphone.

They look foolish when they ship products with design defects, like the iPhone 4 with an external antenna.

Ok, so how do they manage to look foolish, and sell phenomenally at the same time?

Is it a stretch to say it doesn't matter if they look foolish to 3 people on a forum somewhere?
  • Reply 43 of 63
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Ok, so how do they manage to look foolish, and sell phenomenally at the same time?

Is it a stretch to say it doesn't matter if they look foolish to 3 people on a forum somewhere?

Don't waste your time, pmz, some posts you just have to skip past. Whenever I see "Steve-J", I just move on to the next comment.
  • Reply 44 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I'm sorry what part of this makes Apple look "foolish"?

Releasing a feature at is not ready, would in fact, be foolish.

I agree. Sometimes a product is ready to ship today, sometimes not.
  • Reply 45 of 63
    I have to say, if this rumor is correct, I think they should just hold off the release of 4.2, unless there is a completely show stopping issue with it. AirPrint that only prints to a handful of printers from one vendor is more or less a non-feature since almost no one will be able to use it.
  • Reply 46 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I have to say, if this rumor is correct, I think they should just hold off the release of 4.2, unless there is a completely show stopping issue with it. AirPrint that only prints to a handful of printers from one vendor is more or less a non-feature since almost no one will be able to use it.

4.2 for iPad will give me ssl over vpn so I can access my network at work and the multitasking will make the device so much more usable. I can't wait to be able to bounce between my applications most of which already have multitasking support. I'd rather they just fix it in an update later. There are so many improvements between iOS 3 and iOS 4 that I enjoy on my iPhone and I miss them on my iPad, I really do. Just having the iOS 4 version that is out now on the iPad would be a big win for me.
  • Reply 47 of 63
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    People still use printers?
  • Reply 48 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by veblen View Post

4.2 for iPad will give me ssl over vpn so I can access my network at work and the multitasking will make the device so much more usable. I can't wait to be able to bounce between my applications most of which already have multitasking support. I'd rather they just fix it in an update later. There are so many improvements between iOS 3 and iOS 4 that I enjoy on my iPhone and I miss them on my iPad, I really do. Just having the iOS 4 version that is out now on the iPad would be a big win for me.

My point was that, unless they've run into some roadblock that is delaying AirPrint support, as they originally announced it, long-term, it would be better for them to delay 4.2 a few weeks to get it working. This was supposed to be a major feature, and it's pretty much nothing if it only works with a few HP printers.

I'm was not saying that there's nothing else in 4.2 that's worth having, just that shipping with a major feature not, for most practical purposes, missing is not a good thing.
  • Reply 49 of 63
    Ah, the idiocy continues...

How hard is this? Really? I can print to my printer wirelessly now on OS X. So why not iOS?

Seeing as Apple is hellbent on getting rid of OS X and replacing it with iOS this doesn't bode well for the future...
  • Reply 50 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

They look foolish when they announce stuff and then can't come through. Like the white iphone.

They look foolish when they ship products with design defects, like the iPhone 4 with an external antenna.

Bingo.
  • Reply 51 of 63
    Quote:

My point was that, unless they've run into some roadblock that is delaying AirPrint support, as they originally announced it, long-term, it would be better for them to delay 4.2 a few weeks to get it working. This was supposed to be a major feature, and it's pretty much nothing if it only works with a few HP printers.

I'm was not saying that there's nothing else in 4.2 that's worth having, just that shipping with a major feature not, for most practical purposes, missing is not a good thing.

I see your point, but the iPad has been a full version behind since June. If this was a 4.1 to 4.2 upgrade for the iPad I would agree with you 100%. There is just so much in this upgrade for iPad users that AirPrint support seems like a mole hill compared to the mountain of new features compared to iOS 3 in my opinion. Maybe I'm in my iPad box? I'm used to not printing from my iPhone/iPad and if I really need to there are apps I could purchase to print. Since iOS 4 came out for the iPhone and I started using it I've felt my iPad was missing it terribly. The day iOS 4 comes out will be a happy day for me. I'd rather not have it be delayed, even for such a nifty feature. Missing is not a good thing I agree, but for me personally I feel that delaying would be worse.
  • Reply 52 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

... How hard is this? Really? I can print to my printer wirelessly now on OS X. So why not iOS? ...

You installed printer drivers on your Mac that work in a well defined subsystem to support printing.

You won't be installing, and don't want to have to install, drivers on your iOS device. I'm having a bit of trouble imagining what problem they ran into, exactly, on OS X, at least; it seems like it should be relatively straightforward, especially if there are printers out there that will support it, and especially since there are 3rd-party solutions that already pretty much do this, and since dev program members report it working in betas.
  • Reply 53 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by veblen View Post

I see your point, but the iPad has been a full version behind since June. If this was a 4.1 to 4.2 upgrade for the iPad I would agree with you 100%. There is just so much in this upgrade for iPad users that AirPrint support seems like a mole hill compared to the mountain of new features compared to iOS 3 in my opinion. Maybe I'm in my iPad box? I'm used to not printing from my iPhone/iPad and if I really need to there are apps I could purchase to print. Since iOS 4 came out for the iPhone and I started using it I've felt my iPad was missing it terribly. The day iOS 4 comes out will be a happy day for me. I'd rather not have it be delayed, even for such a nifty feature. Missing is not a good thing I agree, but for me personally I feel that delaying would be worse.

I see your point as well, and I'm coming to the view that this may not be a technical issue, in which case any resolution is uncertain, so delaying it may just not be worth doing. They can always put out a minor update later to enable it, if whatever issue is holding it up is resolved.
  • Reply 54 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

... Seeing as Apple is hellbent on getting rid of OS X and replacing it with iOS ...

There's nothing in any of Apple's statements or actions that would support this assertion.
  • Reply 55 of 63
    Why is this so hard to confirm? Some developers here and at Macrumors say the printing support is still there in the latest 10.6.5 and others say the support is gone.

Which is it?

EDIT: From what I've read at Macrumors it seems some people have clean-installed the latest version of 10.6.5 and some installed over the previous build. Maybe the clean installs lose the functionality and the update-installs retain it from the previous build...
  • Reply 56 of 63
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    It seems SJ called BS on that:

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/loopi...3/LYcMon8XleI/

(and my gut feeling was correct once)
  • Reply 57 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

It seems SJ called BS on that:

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/loopi...3/LYcMon8XleI/

(and my gut feeling was correct once)

Well, assuming that's legitimate, he just said it isn't dead, not that they didn't pull back on printing through shared printers.
  • Reply 58 of 63
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Well, assuming that's legitimate, he just said it isn't dead, not that they didn't pull back on printing through shared printers.

You're right, but if it is legitimate, I boldly assume Jobs is clever enough to not confuse the issue any further, when all he had to to was not answering at all...
  • Reply 59 of 63
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
  • Reply 60 of 63
    10.6.5 is out, and not a word about AirPrint: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4250