RIM's PlayBook will take on Apple's iPad with a price under $500

Comments

• Reply 41 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoodlesNoodlemann View Post

...Competition is always good. ...

Yeah, isn't it just great how competition has led to the shipping of most US manufacturing jobs overseas?
  • Reply 42 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kuttysark View Post

Similar performance is yet to be seen. As my Ipad cannot multitask like the Playbook can. See video I posted above. And I disagree about screen size usability whole heartedly, since the resolution is the same. I will agree that cost may be less, but I'm not sure.

Don't have to take may word on screen size usability. Here's what Gizmodo just said about the Samsung Galaxy Tab's 7" screen: "Here's the thing about tablets: Size is everything. Size is the whole point."

http://gizmodo.com/5686161/samsung-g...le-train-wreck
  • Reply 43 of 132
    Quote:

My Rant. Ipad sucks, give me a Playbook.

You Fanboys best get your heads out your nether regions and recognize a credible threat.

I wouldn't call Fail immediately on the Playbook but RIM has to have flawless execution in the intro of the device.

No delays.

No glitches.

No "gates".

Flawless.

... and with a profit margin of well less than 20% you've got to wonder what the shareholders are feeling.

Maybe RIM should buy Adobe.

(PS - in the video I noticed that Lazaridis does what my Wife does if her iPad doesn't respond immediately... push harder ;-)
  • Reply 44 of 132
    and why would I want one of these?

Whats the advantage over the iPad?

I'm sure all the forward thinking coming from RIM will convince me otherwise.
  • Reply 45 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

It's too small to be useful as a tablet.

. But then why did the company so known for mobile communications not even build in 3G capability?

Another consideration is that for this size, you are going to have less battery life.

So those are my concerns.

I'm not sure I agree. The iPod touch is MUCH smaller, and it works great. Many eReaders are that size, and people love them.

And WRT battery life, I think that cellphones are even smaller, but have acceptable batery life, so I'm not sure that "for this size" battery life will be unacceptable. The screen is what burns the battery.

3G? I think you are right. They want to position the product closely with any Blackberry anywhere, so they went with WIFI only. Will it support Wireless N? The iPad does, IIRC.
  • Reply 46 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

DOA, sub-500 or not.

Agreed...RIM is in the business of going out of business. RIM is yesterday's technology. I know they have acquired a company to provide a new OS....but I don't think they have the nouse to implement it. Apple has set the mark so high and everyone is shooting for the current iPad, but Apple is 5 years ahead of everyone. Not just in the actual device but the Apple Ecosystem that RIM, MS, Sony, Google, HP, Dull still don't seem to get. Who wants a hodgepodge of devices.

I like my iPhone 4, my iMac, my AppleTV and my iPad...done! The other companies, RIM included, are providing a "fractured" user experience!

Best
  • Reply 47 of 132
    If RIM targets rich web applications, they might stand a chance. Personally, my only issue with my iPad size is that I need to carry a man-purse for it. Hopefully some better portfolio designs will come out soon for it. A 7" improves that, but the usability impact is faiy dramatic for SOME applications.

Maybe RIM's biggest opportunity is in cutting the weight by 35%.

Ports and a file system would be nice on the iPad; have to VPN, ssh, zip, uuencode, and mail to get a file from server to non-VPN laptop. It is pretty silly...
  • Reply 48 of 132
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Mike Lazaridis of RIM was on Canada's CTV morning show and was asked how they would win the war against Apple. 5 minute mark at http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...791408/?page=2

Not sure if he answered the question. However, perception is reality and RIM will sell a lot, especially in the US, as for every Mac hater/PC lover their eyes will never be open enough to enjoy the iPad. And the converse is also true.

For RIM in particular, what is most likely to affect the war between the two will depend on RIM maintaining their relationships with enterprise. From what we are evidencing most recently, it is waning and that divide should grow even wider as more business apps and the ability of businesses to recognize their value and/or develop their own become available.

Remember, that the reception here when Apple launched the iPhone, i.e., the dismissive attitude towards Apple's non-tactile keyboard and even after their success, the continuing assault on the iPad. Now some chastize RIM for their 'poorly' functional touch screen.

Perhaps we should just relax and let the users decide which is best. Remember, Apple has a nearly 300 patents between the iPhone, iPad and iOS that are really going to make RIM's, Microsoft's and Nokia's work a lot harder to innovate, especially if Apple continues to win the battles.
  • Reply 49 of 132
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Good luck. The only way the Playbook and Blackberry will continue to sell is if one is thrown in for free when buying the other. And that won't work very long.

Lazaridis: The Playbook and the Blackberry are "in-stink-tive" to use. The stink is built-in and inseparable from RIM products.
  • Reply 50 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lordjeremias View Post

I disagree. I think the Blackberry Playbook is the only one that will be a serious threat to iPad and the only one i would consider buying (besides from the iPad and if i had the money for it...).

It's the only one that has a proper OS, designed specifically for the Tablet, and not a improvised application of other OSes (windows or android).

it's the only one that has spend time looking for development partners (Adobe [yes i know they heva their issues, but many many developers still use them as their mainly/only tool ] ) and the only one that has a serious designed interface, that is not an iOS or windows ripoff.

and i think that the 7"+ design is closer to the ideal of a tablet than the tiny 6" tablet form from the android rivals. I haven't hold one side by side with an ipad to compare and feel but i think that the sweet spot is there between the 7" playbook and 9,7" ipad. not the measly <6" form of the android ones. (which is neither an phone nor a proper pad and will generate a big disappointment after some serious time of usage)

QNX 'Nix is no more a "proper" OS than iOS OS X 'Nix or Android Linux 'Nix!

For an interesting look at some of the drawbacks of 7" form factor see:

http://gizmodo.com/5686161/samsung-g...le-train-wreck

• Reply 51 of 132
    Quote:

You Fanboys best get your heads out your nether regions and recognize a credible threat.

"We think the current crop of seven-inch tablets are going to be DOA ? dead on arrival," Jobs told reporters and analysts listening in on a conference call announcing Apple's fourth fiscal quarter financial results...
  • Reply 52 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ryszard View Post

Screen Size isn't everything? Anyone who ever used a tablet could tell you that there is definitely a threshold point for usability, and 7" is just too small for a tablet.?

iPod Touch users might disagree with you.
  • Reply 53 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lordjeremias View Post

I disagree. I think the Blackberry Playbook is the only one that will be a serious threat to iPad and the only one i would consider buying (besides from the iPad and if i had the money for it...).

It's the only one that has a proper OS, designed specifically for the Tablet, and not a improvised application of other OSes (windows or android).

it's the only one that has spend time looking for development partners (Adobe [yes i know they heva their issues, but many many developers still use them as their mainly/only tool ] ) and the only one that has a serious designed interface, that is not an iOS or windows ripoff.

and i think that the 7"+ design is closer to the ideal of a tablet than the tiny 6" tablet form from the android rivals. I haven't hold one side by side with an ipad to compare and feel but i think that the sweet spot is there between the 7" playbook and 9,7" ipad. not the measly <6" form of the android ones. (which is neither an phone nor a proper pad and will generate a big disappointment after some serious time of usage)

I couldn't even finish reading what you wrote because you made a trumped up assertion that the Playbook offers a proper OS for the tablet. Where as the ipad doesn't?

How'd you come to that conclusion? And what is the proper OS for a tablet?

Understand this, RIM is chasing Apple's ipad because? Answer that! Why does RIM need a tablet?

They are just following the money.

Like the suckers who put goji berry in their fruit juice because some clown down the street put goji berry in his juice. And made a claim(LIE) that it'll make you live to be 500 years old.

It's called following the bouncing business model.
  • Reply 54 of 132
    I watched it Onhka and he is giving the typical CEOspeak...I saw the sort of disbelief expression on the interviewer's face when he was talking about the consumer market in relation to Apple. But she didn't call him out on it!

I much prefer Stevo's direct approach! Thanks!

It may very well turn out that Apple will be more successful moving from consumer product(s) into enterprise...than MS, RIM, etc., find moving from enterprise into the consumer markets!
  • Reply 55 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

So a bit too big for a phone and too small to enjoy the iPad like experience. An inbetweeny.

Apple please don't go 7-inch.

Mmmm.... maybe the appropriate name for these 7-inchers is Wedgies

Take your pick:

• Reply 56 of 132
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

I'm not sure I agree. The iPod touch is MUCH smaller, and it works great. Many eReaders are that size, and people love them.

In fact, the Touch is so small, you can fit it in a shirt pocket. Which is exactly the tradeoff that makes the size worth it. Anything much larger-- too big to put in a shirt pocket-- means you lose the big advantage of that size, and just get the disadvantages of not big enough.

If you're going to go bigger than a phone, you might as well keep going until you get some real usability, instead of hanging out in the uncanny valley of too big to pocket, too small to get much done. I would say 7" is almost exactly the perfect awkward size, giving you the worst of both worlds.
  • Reply 57 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Cortex A9? HDMI out? 2 HD cameras? There is more to it than screen size.

Also, when did Apple fanatics start championing screen size since last i heard most were crying about the paltry 3.5 on the iPhone

Business tablet. Ha ha! You won't find the high end programs for serious business running on that thing. They are chasing Apple's ipad which it not a replacement for a computer but RIM is trying to best the ipad, theoretically, by saying that the Playbook will be business-centric. OMFG! What a freaking fail.

Who is going to be designing real world business programs for the mythical Playbook that will perform like they do on a fully featured laptop? We ain't talking about a fart app. We are talking about business suites!!! It takes years to develop that sh**. Money to get started. Teams of people. Lots of ram and chip power. The Playbook isn't the tech you do that stuff on.

You use windows, macs and linux!

Good luck RIM. Or should I say R.I.P?
  • Reply 58 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mmmm.... maybe the appropriate name for these 7-inchers is Wedgies

Take your pick:

I'll take no3
  • Reply 59 of 132
    Removed: duplicate
  • Reply 60 of 132
    It should be called the Copybook

But seriously, not sure who'd buy one unless they were die hard Blackberry fans. Maybe those fake actors in those "Blackberry love" commercials?