Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.5 with no mention of AirPrint

Comments

• Reply 61 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by postulant View Post

video as requested. Quality(1080p) will improve once youtube is done processing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_6ikp1zwf0

cool!!
  • Reply 62 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fel0032 View Post

Yeah that should be a good test. Currently the printer is share over the network and is connected to my mac. Even windows PC's can print to it over the network. I am running 10.6.5 that was just released, iOS GM 4.2 on iPhone 4 and iPad & iTunes 10.1b2. So I am curious to see if they restricted it to those newer printer models from HP or directly connected to a Airport Extreme or Express.

Shared printing would have been nice but its not that big a deal. Just more of my OCD coming to light.

I am running the 10.6.5 mini update that was released Oct 14 (AIR) -- it has been removed from the iOS Developer site..

I have been running each version of 4.2 beta and now the GM.

I can print fine to an old HP 5700 attached to my Airport Extreme -- from the iPads and 4,2 iPhones.

I think I'll wait until the air clears on AirPrint.

What I really want is Video AirPlay -- I suspect that will require an AppleTV update.

• Reply 63 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fel0032 View Post

I am running 10.6.5 on my mac. I am also running 4.2 GM because i have a developer account. IT DOES NOT WORK. My iPad & iPhone 4 can not find my shared printer that is attached to my mac.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Confirmed here as well via iPhone 3GS 4.2 GM & 10.6.5.

Try Sys Prefs: delete the printer, then add it back in.

If that doesn't work, plug the printer into an Airport Extreme or Express.

Then repeat above.

HTH

Dick

• Reply 64 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Video as requested. Quality(1080p) will improve once youtube is done processing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_6ikp1ZWf0

Thanks! By the way, just thought I'd say that for all the iPhone videos out there, it's nice to see someone who washes their hands before doing a video. You could be an Apple hand model!
  • Reply 65 of 110
    makes no sense to keep the computer on, just so you can print from an ipad or iphone, you might as well, just go to the mac and print from there! Isn't anyone else feeling the same way?

I am a bit tired of apple forcing the mac as a middle route, having to keep it open to stream to apple tv, open to print from ios devices, what the c. is that about? Just let apple tv stream from any itunes library on the nas. And get printers to update their firmware to support airprint. How hard is it for hp to issue a few firmware updates for airprint?

So I am not terribly disappointed with this, if I have to have the mac open, I might as well go there and print from there.

Like i said, it's cumbersome, it takes up lots of energy and time to constantly use the mac as the middle man for printing and streaming.
  • Reply 66 of 110
    Quote:

Am I the only person in the world who can print with OSX 10.6.5 with 4.2 GM?

It works!! Do I need to post a video?

Are you using the 1o.6.5 mini update posted on the iOS site Mid October (AIR) -- r the just released 10.6.5 update.

I am using the mini update and 4.2 GM and it works fine!

• Reply 67 of 110
    Quote:

Video as requested. Quality(1080p) will improve once youtube is done processing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_6ikp1ZWf0

Post: Great Trailer... I can call you "Post", can't I? I just can't wait for the Movie

• Reply 68 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

makes no sense to keep the computer on, just so you can print from an ipad or iphone, you might as well, just go to the mac and print from there! Isn't anyone else feeling the same way?

I am a bit tired of apple forcing the mac as a middle route, having to keep it open to stream to apple tv, open to print from ios devices, what the c. is that about? Just let apple tv stream from any itunes library on the nas. And get printers to update their firmware to support airprint. How hard is it for hp to issue a few firmware updates for airprint?

So I am not terribly disappointed with this, if I have to have the mac open, I might as well go there and print from there.

Like i said, it's cumbersome, it takes up lots of energy and time to constantly use the mac as the middle man for printing and streaming.

I think you only need the Mac to be on when you add the printer -- for a printer on your Airport.

I think the Airport gets the drivers from the Mac at setup time.

• Reply 69 of 110
    Grrr... Mail 4.4 boots out the Letterbox plugin. I know it'll likely be just a few days before there's an update, but it begs the bigger question: Why do we still need a plugin to view our email windows side-by-side? Apple's own MoblieMe has this feature. Why not their desktop software?!?
  • Reply 70 of 110
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jouster View Post

ESPN360 appears to be borked in Safari for me since the update. Works in Firefix though.

Works perfect for me....
  • Reply 71 of 110
    I've ran the combo updater in safe mode twice. Everything went fine with no sign of a problem. Each time when I check "About this Mac" it shows version 10.6.4 installed.

What do I do next? Should I try software update?

FWIW, my system has been trouble free and I ran disk repair prior to the installation attempt.

Thanks,

Bill
  • Reply 72 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bill P. View Post

I've ran the combo updater in safe mode twice. Everything went fine with no sign of a problem. Each time when I check "About this Mac" it shows version 10.6.4 installed.

What do I do next? Should I try software update?

FWIW, my system has been trouble free and I ran disk repair prior to the installation attempt.

Thanks,

Bill

If you used the link from earlier in this forum thread then it doesn't work. Wait until you can download the real one from the apple announcement page.
  • Reply 73 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkTiM View Post

If you used the link from earlier in this forum thread then it doesn't work. Wait until you can download the real one from the apple announcement page.

That's exactly what I did. It did download as the 10.6.5 package as well.

Thank you for the heads up! Hope I haven't corrupted my system.

Bill
  • Reply 74 of 110
    here's the good link:

NO IT'S NOT
  • Reply 76 of 110
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bill P. View Post

That's exactly what I did. It did download as the 10.6.5 package as well.

Thank you for the heads up! Hope I haven't corrupted my system.

Bill

Try the auto update. If that didn't work then go to /Library/Updates and look for the 10.6.5 update file somewhere there (maybe within a subfolder) and double click it. Apple support taught me this trick few years ago.
  • Reply 77 of 110
    That is the exact same fake link which downloads a fake update which either does nothing to change the system version or renders the system unbootable.

this is how apple downloads address normally start with

h**p://swscn.apple.com

I can view the downloads catalog page and no 10.6.5 update delta or combo currently appears and at the time of this post nothing on apples download pages either.
  • Reply 78 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

...Clearly the new HPs are the future tech, and combined with your iOS device, they will just work. Toss out the obsolete printer. You won't be sorry.

But, but, but I like blond's with brains AND printer's with brains.
  • Reply 79 of 110
    pik80pik80 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Buh? And in this scenario what, exactly, are you to do when someone wants a document from you? Have them copy it from your iPad? Lend them the iPad? Email them a screenshot? This isn't a big deal given we don't currently have this capability, but it is a good thing to have, and I'm surprised someone would be excited to find this feature might not be available at the current time.

Yeah, just email them the document that you were going to print out.
  • Reply 80 of 110
    pik80pik80 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jouster View Post

That makes no sense. No one is forcing you to print. But some - and I am one - need hard copy for their job. I wish I didn't but I do. So I am really looking forward to printing wirelessly from my iPad.

No they are not forcing me to print but if I am on the receiving end I have to keep track of the paper. Yuck, I hate paper.