Inside AirPrint: Apple's printing system for iOS

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    email? really? with all the protocols they could have used, the printer gets an email address? pretty pathetic, engineers.

I'm waiting for the gimp version.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

email? really? with all the protocols they could have used, the printer gets an email address? pretty pathetic, engineers.

That's why Bonjour printing has been working excellent on Mac for years. ePrint sounds retarded.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    This is obsolete when google releases its web printing technology. Print from any device to any printer in the world without drivers. I wonder if apple will accept that technology considering it is ten times better than theirs, or whether they will ignore it.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

This is obsolete when google releases its web printing technology. Print from any device to any printer in the world without drivers. I wonder if apple will accept that technology considering it is ten times better than theirs, or whether they will ignore it.

Sounds like good Flash performance on Android... "Coming soon" ... When? Who knows.
  • Reply 25 of 54
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

Article says:

Rather than only supporting an email bridge to print however, Apple developed AirPrint as a way for apps to send print jobs centrally through Apple's new Print Center app, which manages job delivery to any available printers. Users don't have to mess around with emailing their documents to a special printer address, or using a third party app to manually set up a print job. Apple created APIs in iOS 4.2 to enable developers to add AirPrint features to their apps.

[AirPrint] can also discover (via Bonjour) and send (via WiFi) print jobs directly to local printers supporting ePrint.

So it sounds to me that you have nothing to complain about. The print job will go directly to the printer without you having to email anything.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Narcogen View Post

ePrint sounds ridiculous. I had no idea it was supposed to work that way. So now to print wirelessly from a mobile device to a printer on the same local network, you need Internet access or a mail server?

How the hell are you supposed to print wirelessly without internet access? More importantly, why would that matter? Are you telling me you're going to use an iPad and a WiFi printer in the same building, that does not internet access or wifi?

Some people just make up fantasy scenarios.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

Gee who knows. Maybe when its out, and it works, (and is, you know...not a permanent beta), we'll see then.
  • Reply 28 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post

HERE'S THE AIRPRINT FIX

All the credit goes to @stroughtonsmith for the hard work in identifying the suspect files Apple pulled due to a patent troll.

Twitter: ChuckG_

Enjoy the AirPrinting!

Doesn't work for me.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    Ah! Nothing quite like the screams of Apple's Airprint employees being beaten to a bloody pulp!

I have not had a lot of need (OK zero need) for printing, but I have to wonder why Apple cannot make this thing communicate with printers that already have wifi printing, or are networkable.

This should give plenty of ammo for the anti-Apple crowd.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    ePrint and AirPrint don't make printing sound any less messy than it always has been.

Plus using some server based email address solution sounds like a very unsecure way to get your things printed. Is this a preface for more cloud based services from the printer manufacturers? It sure sounds like it creates a dependency on them well after you bought your printer despite both your computer and your new printer already having a network connection in place.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Ah! Nothing quite like the screams of Apple's Airprint employees being beaten to a bloody pulp!

I have not had a lot of need (OK zero need) for printing, but I have to wonder why Apple cannot make this thing communicate with printers that already have wifi printing, or are networkable.

This should give plenty of ammo for the anti-Apple crowd.

Apple is going to get skewered on this. Unless, iTunes 10.1 is what enables AirPrint -- last hope.
  • Reply 32 of 54
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Not surprisingly I haven't been able to get AirPrint working, but I wonder if they will have an option of a print preview. Modern web pages use a lot of Javascript/Ajax to render pages and they aren't going to print anything like what they look like on screen. It would be nice to see if the print job was going to be a waste of time beforehand.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    Looking closer at urftopdf is a clue...

$ file /usr/libexec/cups/filter/urftopdf

/usr/libexec/cups/filter/urftopdf: Mach-O universal binary with 3 architectures

/usr/libexec/cups/filter/urftopdf (for architecture x86_64)tMach-O 64-bit executable x86_64

/usr/libexec/cups/filter/urftopdf (for architecture i386)tMach-O executable i386

/usr/libexec/cups/filter/urftopdf (for architecture ppc7400)tMach-O executable ppc

There is a PPC build! Now why would we need that? Oh yeah, Leopard! Tons of people on G4 and G5 systems still use it. Now, why roll Airprint into a Snow Leopard update when there's not going to be one for Leopard, rather, it'd be easier to update Airprint it as a separate package/product to support Leopard...

That's a possibility that doesn't involve the sky falling
  • Reply 34 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelbruner View Post

Looking closer at urftopdf is a clue...

$ file /usr/libexec/cups/filter/urftopdf

/usr/libexec/cups/filter/urftopdf: Mach-O universal binary with 3 architectures

/usr/libexec/cups/filter/urftopdf (for architecture x86_64)tMach-O 64-bit executable x86_64

/usr/libexec/cups/filter/urftopdf (for architecture i386)tMach-O executable i386

/usr/libexec/cups/filter/urftopdf (for architecture ppc7400)tMach-O executable ppc

There is a PPC build! Now why would we need that? Oh yeah, Leopard! Tons of people on G4 and G5 systems still use it. Now, why roll Airprint into a Snow Leopard update when there's not going to be one for Leopard, rather, it'd be easier to update Airprint it as a separate package/product to support Leopard...

That's a possibility that doesn't involve the sky falling

I think this is going to be problematic. My tests with Ghostscript on Linux have proven that it is really difficult to get accurate results when converting web pages to pdf due to differences in fonts, transparent alpha channel pngs, ajax etc. The days of printing of urls may have past.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    [QUOTE=ChuckD;1750181]

HERE'S THE AIRPRINT FIX

Worked perfectly for me. I started with a successful update to 10.6.5, then applied the file patches outlined in the AIRPRINT fix, then updated my IP4 to the 4.2GM. Don't forget to check the "share" setting on the printer after deleting and adding it back in on your mac.

I am printing to a HP C4380 all-in-one, WiFi G networked (ie wireless not cabled) printer. This is most definitely NOT one of the newer e-print capable models. I have printed numerous web pages, emails, and pictures from my IP4 with no issues whatsoever.

david
  • Reply 36 of 54
    You probably want to check the UNIX permissions on the files you copied in comparison to others there, and try Repair Permissions in Disk Utility...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Doesn't work for me.

• Reply 37 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Doesn't work for me.

The ChuckD fix did not work for me either
  • Reply 38 of 54
    Quote:

HERE'S THE AIRPRINT FIX

All the credit goes to @stroughtonsmith for the hard work in identifying the suspect files Apple pulled due to a patent troll.

Enjoy the AirPrinting!

mmm, did not work for me and permissions looked ok. any other ideas?
  • Reply 39 of 54
    I'm an idiot, I guess. I downloaded the files in question but I can't figure out how to find these paths in order to place the files.

/usr/libexec/cups/filter/urftopdf

/usr/share/cups/mime/apple.convs

/usr/share/cups/mime/apple.types

I double click my HD and see Applications, Library, System, Users, etc. I'm not sure where to start digging to find the /usr directory.

Thanks for any help
  • Reply 40 of 54
    Quote:

HERE'S THE AIRPRINT FIX

Enjoy the AirPrinting!

Thanks! Works like a charm.