Apple's release of iOS 4.2 held up by Wi-Fi issues - rumor [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Though previous reports alleged that iOS 4.2 would become available on Friday, new rumors suggest the software update for the iPhone and iPad will come next week, on Nov. 16, or perhaps even later to address purported Wi-Fi issues [updated].

The "most likely" release is next Tuesday, Nov. 16, according to iPhoneHellas. The same site previously had accurate reports indicating the release time of Apple's iOS software updates.

In addition, references to a Nov. 12 launch that were allegedly found in previous builds of iOS 4.2 carrier bundles have been removed, providing more evidence that the update may not be issued until next week at the earliest.

But another report from MacStories claims that the software has been delayed due to issues with Wi-Fi connectivity. It alleged that Apple is preparing a new gold master that will be issued to developers soon.

The Friday launch was rumored earlier this week, in a report that also said that Mac OS X 10.6.5 and iTunes 10.1 would arrive on Wednesday. That turned out to be half true, as Apple released its latest update to the Snow Leopard operating system, but did not issue an update for iTunes.

iOS 4.2 is Apple's eagerly awaited software update for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. It will mark the debut of iOS 4 on the iPad, bringing features like folders and multitasking that iPhone and iPod touch owners have enjoyed for months.

The update will also bring AirPrint and AirPlay to the mobile devices, though support for shared printers in Mac OS X 10.6.5 was axed at the last minute for still-unknown reasons. The ability to stream video from an iOS 4.2 device to an Apple TV through AirPlay will also require a software update for the Apple TV.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    Damn that sucks. I wonder what really is holding them up.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Apple's website says November. To me, anything before the 1st of December is ahead of or on schedule, not behind.

This is what happens when we believe people "familiar with the situation" instead of the actual source.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    You said "create custom" text message tones. That's not accurate. Just for clarification's sake.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Well, at least they found the issue before they deployed. A few days delay is preferable to some debacle with thousands of owners complaining on the Internet.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    Quote:

Execution problems. Again and again.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Well, at least they found the issue before they deployed. A few days delay is preferable to some debacle with thousands of owners complaining on the Internet.

They won't be able to complain on the internet because the WiFi doesn't work properly.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    It's not being held back because of Wi-Fi. I've been using the GM since release. I was one who had Wi-Fi issues with 3.2 but it has been absolutely perfect with 4.2.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    What? We can't create custom text sounds. Check your facts. It does include new sounds, but they are horrible.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Why in the he'll would there be wi-fi issues?

I have none under 3.2.

It's ridiculous how long this update is taking!
  • Reply 10 of 51
    Assuming rumor is true .... it's very rare apple issues two GMs before release. Something must be real glitchy on the developer bug reports.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Assuming rumor is true .... it's very rare apple issues two GMs before release. Something must be real glitchy on the developer bug reports.

Yep, very rare. However I am wondering if they are waiting for the patent issues to be resolved if in fact that's the reason why AirPrint was delayed. Therefore they might release a small update to add those 3 files needed for the full AirPrint experience. Otherwise, just might as well wait.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

Trolling. Again and again.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's not being held back because of Wi-Fi. I've been using the GM since release. I was one who had Wi-Fi issues with 3.2 but it has been absolutely perfect with 4.2.

I upgraded and my wifi is definitely crippled. So it may not be that they broke the same thing as before.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    Quote:

Yep, very rare. However I am wondering if they are waiting for the patent issues to be resolved if in fact that's the reason why AirPrint was delayed. Therefore they might release a small update to add those 3 files needed for the full AirPrint experience. Otherwise, just might as well wait.

I don't believe the patent rumor. The Apple blood sucking lawyers would have had that ironed out before apple put all the program engineering resources necessary for the release. I think they have some glitches and want to get it right.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eh270 View Post

I upgraded and my wifi is definitely crippled.

How so?
  • Reply 16 of 51
    I believe it. I have managed to have two 3G iPhones swapped out by Apple due to software upgrades in the 3.x and 4.x iterations that trashed the Wi-Fi. And I am not alone.

In fact, the 4.x one was swapped out a year out of warranty, with the Genius Bar dude telling me this was a common issue.

Since the Wi-Fi is on the same chip as the BlueTooth, it also killed my headset.

Apple has to ensure that their updates stop doing this.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Here we go again. "It isn't happening to me so it's not the issue."

There's a big world out there. Suggest you climb out of your hole.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Here we go again. "It isn't happening to me so it's not the issue."

There's a big world out there. Suggest you climb out of your hole.

The hardware is identical. It's not as though there's a range of iPads out there, much less differing build types and makeups. Having had the original Wi-Fi problem, would it not stand to reason that if there was a second, I would have it as well?
  • Reply 19 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

Trolling. Again and again.

Responding. Again and again.

Seriously?
  • Reply 20 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

Edited: Almost got caught in the troll net.