Apple's release of iOS 4.2 held up by Wi-Fi issues - rumor [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

I don't believe the patent rumor. The Apple blood sucking lawyers would have had that ironed out before apple put all the program engineering resources necessary for the release. I think they have some glitches and want to get it right.

Yeah, that's also highly probable. We just don't know for sure and we all know Apple won't go into detail about what happened anyways. I got my AirPrint working last night, so I'm good for now.
  • Reply 22 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

Apple's website says November. To me, anything before the 1st of December is ahead of or on schedule, not behind.

This is what happens when we believe people "familiar with the situation" instead of the actual source.

+1. Ignore Troll Steve-J. Apple said November. That's what I hold them to as well.
  • Reply 23 of 51
    I'm running 4.2 GM, I just wonder: when I look at BBC iPlayer over a Mi-Fi device I can't see videos as it thinks I am on 3G. I seem to rememeber this nto being an issue before, unless iPlayer has changed.

Could this be a 4.2 wi-fi problem?
  • Reply 24 of 51
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Yeah, that's also highly probable. We just don't know for sure and we all know Apple won't go into detail about what happened anyways. I got my AirPrint working last night, so I'm good for now.

I hope the delay isn't related to the hack for AirPrint. If they are planning to do something to prevent it, I'm going to hold on to my GM #1.
  • Reply 25 of 51
    I have a 3GS and a IP4 running the current iOS4.2GM and neither exhibit any WI-FI issues. Just ran speedtest to verify that iphone performance was on par with my MBP WI-FI and found comparable results. Would be curious as to what types of issues have cropped up so as to be on the lookout.
  • Reply 26 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's not being held back because of Wi-Fi. I've been using the GM since release. I was one who had Wi-Fi issues with 3.2 but it has been absolutely perfect with 4.2.

Cool. Because YOU have no issue that means there are none. Great Post!!
  • Reply 27 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

Trolling. Again and again.

Fanboy. Again and again.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

Apple's website says November. To me, anything before the 1st of December is ahead of or on schedule, not behind.

This is what happens when we believe people "familiar with the situation" instead of the actual source.

Bingo. this is a common tabloid tactic. You use half baked facts allegedly from unnamed sources (aka out of your butt) to create a story and then when you get a few more facts or rumors that your story was wrong, you create a new story with new unnamed sources that the pair broke up, there was a problem in production etc. When in fact, the couple was never dating, and there is no problem, the date was never what you claimed.
  • Reply 29 of 51
    Quote:

Are you claiming that there has not been any increase in execution problems?

I've not seen any hard stats; I based my comment on perception, which is not entirely reliable.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

It's not being held back because of Wi-Fi. I've been using the GM since release. I was one who had Wi-Fi issues with 3.2 but it has been absolutely perfect with 4.2.

There are few WiFi problems reported on iOS developers forum and all reporting the problem after the GM update. So yes, they could be having problem with the Wifi. This is they have betas and it is good that Apple caught this before they official release.
  • Reply 31 of 51
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

I had the same 3.2 issues. There are still a few (albeit less) issues with 4.2 GM for iPad. Once or twice a day I need to flip the airplane mode switch to reconnect to dropped wifi.
  • Reply 32 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

Execution problems. Again and again.

Quote:

On the $!

• Reply 33 of 51
    Hm...I hoped I'm gonna have some moments of excitement checking iOS 4.2 features on my iPad but no luck :-) But from other hand - a weekend ahead is a great thing by itself
  • Reply 34 of 51
    I don't know why this pisses me off the way it does.

I knew it wouldn't come today, as Apple normally announces things like this, (right?). Guess I was holding out some hope.

But waiting months for an OS that brings 'all' the devices up to one level, that should have been with iOS 4.1. I just don't see a reason why we couldn't have gotten iOS 4's features on the iPad sooner. So we can print with 4.2 (maybe not?), big deal. But folders, and background processing (wouldn't call it mult-tasking), that crap has been out for a while now, and I just don't think we should have waited almost half a year for, what's touted as, the same OS on all devices.

If it was really the same OS, then we should have had iOS 4 a lot sooner on the iPad.

Meh, I'm rambling.

I read yesterday some dude was saying, his iPad has taken a backseat to his iPhone because of iOS 4's features. You know... I can say the same here.
  • Reply 35 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

There are few WiFi problems reported on iOS developers forum and all reporting the problem after the GM update. So yes, they could be having problem with the Wifi. This is they have betas and it is good that Apple caught this before they official release.

I'm running 4.2 GM on my iPad and there's definitely some WiFi issues mainly revolving around areas of weak signal. Whereas on 3.2 I could get a steady connection in areas of weak signal, 4.2 says it is connected yet doesn't get any throughput. Turning WiFi off then on again usually solves the problem for about a minute before the Internet's gone again. No problems in areas of good signal, however. I'm glad they're going to fix it before releasing, as anyone would be foolish to release software with such an obvious, detrimental bug.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    Is anyone genuinely surprised that "sometime in November" actually meant November 30?
  • Reply 37 of 51
    Quote:

The hardware is identical. It's not as though there's a range of iPads out there, much less differing build types and makeups. Having had the original Wi-Fi problem, would it not stand to reason that if there was a second, I would have it as well?

No, it doesn't stand to reason. 'Wi-Fi' is not one thing. There are multiple types (a/b/g/n), and multiple encryption protocols, and multipke key handling methods and ciphers. The problem may only manifest with certain access points.
  • Reply 38 of 51
    OK, I've been testing 4.2 for a few months, the most recent build works very nicely with 10.6.5 (GM version).

Nothing to worry about folks. It's in. I'm printing to an old HP LaserJet through my Mac. Just turn on printer sharing on the Mac and hit print on the iOS device.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I hope the delay isn't related to the hack for AirPrint. If they are planning to do something to prevent it, I'm going to hold on to my GM #1.

• Reply 39 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacG View Post

OK, I've been testing 4.2 for a few months, the most recent build works very nicely with 10.6.5 (GM version).

Nothing to worry about folks. It's in. I'm printing to an old HP LaserJet through my Mac. Just turn on printer sharing on the Mac and hit print on the iOS device.

Actually this is not necessarily true because the new builds take away some vital CUPS files. The reason it's working on yours is those files are still on your computer because obviously you are a developer.
  • Reply 40 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacG View Post

I, too, have had little problems with any of the 4.2 betas -- ibooks had problems on iPad in beta 3.

That said, the only thing i (or anyone?) has been unable to test is AirPlay Video from an iPad (or any iDevice) to an AppleTV (or Mac).

It is interesting that Apple provided a delta Mac OS X update for AirPrint, but nothing for AirPlay Video.

I always wondered if the iPad has enough RAM to pull this off.