New Windows 7 ad criticizes Apple's lack of Blu-ray support on Mac

Comments

• Reply 81 of 410
    "Lord Jobs?" Really? Seriously? Give me a break!

I mean come on, I've been a mac enthusiest for years and always see people saying "Lord Jobs" or "papa jobs"... I don't bring this observation up to find out why people do it, because any senseless dolt can hear the under-toned message behind the snarky bit and automatically figure it out.

But It's uncalled for. Even if the assembled multitude of folks on a MAC RUMOR forum have a somewhat biased view, the connection is at the very most ephemeral.

When someone uses a reference like that, I see any basis for an intelligent argument or point made just tossed out the window.

Ultimately, it's the consumers choice as to what is followed or believed in. APPLE can only assume a correct road map for what we want and implement the paving of such. IF it works, great! If not, they try again.

That's not godly like. That's not lord like. That's far from Steve or Apple creating a "reality distortion field"... That's just fucking business.

Ahem.
  • Reply 82 of 410
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

We do not know this for sure. Apple, is not using AACS, so we can't tell if they are affected by this change without knowing their actual contracts with the rights holders. It is possible, but it could also be a voluntary move to not affect future licensing negotiations.

True, we don't know this for sure. The analog sunset is supposed to apply to set-top HD boxes like HD cable boxes and satellite receivers as well, but I don't know how this applies to the 720p content from iTunes.
  • Reply 83 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post

... there's no real reason or excuse for the lack of Blu-Ray support for Mac, other than "licensing issues" which means Jobs didn't get his own way ...

Ignoring the childish jab at Jobs and the juvenile "analysis" here ... are you even aware what the "licensing issues" are?

BluRay on a Mac would mean Apple ascribing to built-in permanent and un-removeable hardware DRM on all their products, every laptop, and every computer they make.

Microsoft of course agreed to this in a New York minute because, hey they don't make hardware and they are the Kings of DRM anyway. They actually like it and think all their end consumers should be saddled with it either in software or (better yet!) right in the hardware.

People are always so short sighted. They just think "I have a BluRay movie, I want to watch it." They don't ever understand what the issues are or what is going on behind the scenes. Apple should be applauded for their stance on hardware DRM and BluRay, at least they are trying to do the best thing for their customers.

Microsoft doesn't give a rats ass about the end consumer, their customers are the studios, and the corporations. But somehow this is translated in the press to "MS loves their customers cause they give them BluRay," and "Apple hates BluRay and wants to control the world."
  • Reply 84 of 410
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Third that. Can't remember when was the last time I had physical media with me when traveled. With fragile disc like Blu-Ray the idea seem to be even dumber.

Plus you're asking for trouble at customs if you take discs onto a plane as they may think you're importing them given that you will likely take more than one disc. Although a flight may only last an hour, waiting 2 or more hours in the airport on top is very tedious and movies make it so much easier. An iPad or iPhone is a much better solution for travelling, even a Macbook Air is better because not only do discs pad out your luggage, laptops with optical drives are thicker and have larger power adaptors.

You could tell the advert was made on a PC too from the style of it. Just dull, uninspired, stop motion (usually very amateur looking), lame voice acting.

What's interesting about Microsoft is they seem to be so happy identifying themselves as being lame. 'I'm a PC and I sell fish'. Rather than try to be better, they want people to be happy and content being lame - that just ain't going to work. More free advertising for Apple.
  • Reply 85 of 410
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

That's really a poor excuse to justify piracy.

Teach them the proper way to handle disks or they can't use it.

I've trained numerous house guests and girlfriends with that method.

Please refrain from putting words into my mouth, and leave the education of my kids to me and my lady.

I do not own a single pirated movie, software or song. I was talking exclusively about protecting my investment in content I have legally purchased.

The problem here is that legislators, almost world-wide, are cowards and treat the movie industry different from anybody else. I can legally make backups of software, I can legally make backups of music CDs, I can legally copy or scan excerpts from books or magazines... heck, in most countries I even have to pay a flat copyright levy on hard drives, scanners and disk burners to cover for that. Still, the movie industry is allowed to deny me any fair use? But at least it seems they can always rely on people to even justify that nonsense...
  • Reply 86 of 410
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

Discs are dead.

I'll agree with you when I can stream Avatar and many thousands of other films with 45mbit 1080p video with lossless DTS Master audio, and 4-10 hours of behind the scenes extras on tap.

Unless I've missed something there is no service that offers even 10% of that through streaming. Therefore, discs are alive and well, and will continue to be until a) vastly superior streaming services are available, b) network speeds across the world increase from their current average of 2-4mbit, to 50mbit+, and c) studios actually give a damn about streaming.

How long will that take? 10 years? 15 perhaps? Get used to blu-rays, as they aren't going anywhere.
  • Reply 87 of 410
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

You can of course, download a super compressed 720p movie through iTunes or other services on PCs as well.

I'd take the blu-ray any day though. 45mbits of 1080p glory is in a league of it's own, and makes 'HD' downloads look hilariously bad. The only downloads which look respectable are the 1080p Zune store downloads on the Xbox 360.

Apple don't have a leg to stand on here. The only way to get 1080p content onto a Mac, is either to install Windows 7, or download BD ripps via bittorent.

When it comes to renting movies, or even purchasing them, the majority of people value convenience over quality most of the time (with specific exceptions for the occasional visual feast that you may watch more than once to revel in its visual glory). But as for the folks that don't fall in that category, i.e. they want ALL of their movies, purchased or rented, to be 1080p ALL the time...

why is it they can't see that most folks aren't like that?

Thompson
  • Reply 88 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

People are always so short sighted. They just think "I have a BluRay movie, I want to watch it." They don't ever understand what the issues are or what is going on behind the scenes.

isn't that the way with all consumerism? is it the job of all the people buying everything to know everything? most people buy what they want either because they are told on tv and radio to buy it, have a friend that uses it, or family. overall, when they buy it they want it to work. most people don't plod over the fact it was made in china by kids getting a nickel a day or working in suicidal conditions. they just want it to work.

not everybody is technically oriented or knows everything behind the scenes that makes things tick. but should they be expected to?
  • Reply 89 of 410
    Physical media is a dying tech, bring on the digital files, Its been 3 years now since I've gone out and purchased a physical DVD movie. I probably wont ever go back to brick and mortar stores for movies either.
  • Reply 90 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kabelad View Post

you might want to inform netflix and blockbuster. they haven't heard that news yet.

just because you may not use them doesn't mean you or your opinion reflect the whole of the population. a lot of people still buy/rent dvd and blu-ray because either streaming just isn't there or they want a full hd experience at home.

I pay for a 30Mbit internet connection at home and even with those kinds of speeds, I still get hiccups when streaming stuff from Netflix. That, and some of their HD programs don't show properly as if they screwed up the frame rate when they re-encoded it for streaming. So, in my experience, streaming isn't quite there yet.
  • Reply 91 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I pay for a 30Mbit internet connection at home and even with those kinds of speeds, I still get hiccups when streaming stuff from Netflix. That, and some of their HD programs don't show properly as if they screwed up the frame rate when they re-encoded it for streaming. So, in my experience, streaming isn't quite there yet.

I have FIOS at home, streaming seems perfectly fine to me, maybe you have local issues with your network you should look into.
  • Reply 92 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

What's interesting about Microsoft is they seem to be so happy identifying themselves as being lame. 'I'm a PC and I sell fish'. Rather than try to be better, they want people to be happy and content being lame - that just ain't going to work. More free advertising for Apple.

Only could a die hard Apple defender turn the ability to play the highest quality HD video on the planet in a negative point. Well done there, you may now collect your pay cheque.
  • Reply 93 of 410
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I'll agree with you when I can stream Avatar and many thousands of other films with 45mbit 1080p video with lossless DTS Master audio, and 4-10 hours of behind the scenes extras on tap.

Unless I've missed something there is no service that offers even 10% of that through streaming. Therefore, discs are alive and well, and will continue to be until a) vastly superior streaming services are available, b) network speeds across the world increase from their current average of 2-4mbit, to 50mbit+, and c) studios actually give a damn about streaming.

How long will that take? 10 years? 15 perhaps? Get used to blu-rays, as they aren't going anywhere.

Exactly true. BlueRays aren't going anywhere. They aren't dead, but neither are they going to be mainstream like DVD before it. And there's little reason for Apple to make it a feature of a laptop, which is the actual point of this commercial, regardless of how we have moved on a tangent from it.

Thompson
  • Reply 94 of 410
    I love Apple-Bluray should be in all desktop computers! (Mac Pros, Imacs, Minis). As for the laptop-the digital download 720p should suffice-laptops are not the bluray experience I want by any means, I don't own one-to be mobile - i have my iphone 4 and do not intend on watching movies on anything smaller than my 40" hdtv - My Mac Pro is connected to the HDTV as a second monitor for animation purposes as well as to my surround sound stereo - for HD however I flip a couple switches on the stereo and pop a BluRay into my PS3-now not too difficult but it could be instant if i could just play the BR on the mac pro-but with all these portable devices and ipod gaming and stuff - it seems that apple has gotten away high end and gone more low brow in regards to home theatre experience-I am certainly not going to by a movie on Itunes because I HAVE a great home theatre and anyone who has one or spent time watching a fantastic HD movie on one would not want to look back-apple is dummying down its customers by switching sides of sort-they don't even support surround sound output on these dammed 720p movies (the built in DVD player does output digital optic - no reason but laziness that itunes doesn't.) The games on an ipad or iphone while great for the train commute will never ever compare to a 3d game with a gamepad and an HDTV - sorry. Some people do still like quality and Apple is wrong in this regard-and I actually downloaded some Bluray rips and Comcast threatened to deny me service (FOR FIVE YEARS) after i downloaded 600GB for about 15 movies 1080p one month-going over there 200GB/month limit - Well unlimited download (which was the catch phrase in their advertisement that caused sign up did not mean unlimited and was and is an outright lie!). In fact I have yet to find a service that is TRULY unlimited (don't take their word for it - ask the right questions before you throw shoes at me about this) that doesn't entail me having a company come out to my home and make me pay for a T1+ dedicated line costing me several hundred dollars a month not to mention the several hundred dollars for installation in the city of San Francisco. SO STEVE JOBS IS WRONG WRONG WRONG - sorry I love him often but in this regard he can kiss my ass.
  • Reply 95 of 410
    Quote:

what did you do a year ago before the ipad existed dickhead?

The quickest way to lose an argument is to take the low road. Or more precisely, you can have all the facts on your side, but still lose your audience.
  • Reply 96 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

When it comes to renting movies, or even purchasing them, the majority of people value convenience over quality most of the time (with specific exceptions for the occasional visual feast that you may watch more than once to revel in its visual glory). But as for the folks that don't fall in that category, i.e. they want ALL of their movies, purchased or rented, to be 1080p ALL the time...

why is it they can't see that most folks aren't like that?

Thompson

That's why the compact disc lost to the audio cassette, why the DVD lost to the video tape, why Blu-Ray isn't being adopted just as quickly as DVD was...

Oh hang on...

Quality does count, and HD downloads just don't cut it yet. I'm sure they will in time, but at present most of them look terrible. That is of course, assuming you can even get HD downloads at all - most of the download services here in the UK aren't even SD yet.
  • Reply 97 of 410
    Quote:

so you would rather watch a film on a 3" screen than a 17"screen? Enjoy that experience.

That's what amazes me about this site, and I realise it's a fan site, but Jobs could gun some clown down in the street and you would all attempt to justify it. I have used macs for the last five years, I love them, I have an iPad, Apple tv and used to have an iPhone, but some things are just some things. This isn't about giving you a better alternative, as there isn't one to BR. None exist. I'm not talking portability here, I'm talking sitting at home in front of a 50" screen and getting streamed 720P when you could have 1080P, and hoping your internet holds up.

It's like the person yesterday defending the removal of the backlit keyboard on the new 13" Air by saying we should all learn to touch type. So removing a feature that was there from the satrt is an effort to improve our Office skills? How charming.

It's like a sketch from The Fast Show.

And you are realising this is a fansite, but still rides this dead horse? You seem clever enough in your writing, and at the same time you contradict yourself. There are so many of your kind that struggles to keep themselves "neutral" in any way - not arguing for one side or another. And when people do take sides, they criticise prople for doing just that. Full of contradictions all the way. I wonder what personality you have.
  • Reply 98 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So you find that to be convenience option you want, but most people aren’t going to want to spend an excessive amount of money to pay for a Blu-ray player to watch the occasional movie on their notebook.

Try this math:
    Take what would be the minimum upgrade cost for a 9.5mm Blu-ray drive from Apple, which is $500 —though likely be more due to the requirement for a slot-loading drive — and divide that number by the number of months you’d use that computer (I think 2.5 years is average).

Now take the number of Blu-ray videos you own, divide by the number of months it took you to acquire them. Now we have a Blu-ray median of what you watch in a month, based on a single viewing (which is how most adults watch a movie). Multiple that number by the $3.99.
    If that number is higher than the per month cost of that Blu-ray drive then it would be likely be a net savings for you, but looking at the aforementioned rate of sales of Blu-ray over DVD, and popularity of digital streaming and downloads over all optical media, it’s simply not true for many so the questions remain: Why should Apple support something just because you want it? Why should Apple support something that competes with their focus and goals, and doesn’t positively affect their bottom line.

PS: You’ve focused on Blu-ray support but you haven’t once mentioned AACS support which is essential for playback of studio Blu-ray titles. All you’ve done is bellyache that Apple should offer the HW directly.

PPS: Anyone who wants to simplify or correct my maths please do so as I only wrote that a single thought without any calculations. It’s just a reference point.

Sorry, little hard to follow, are you presuming people want an Apple BR drive to use only at home? As a home player? If so you are correct, doesn't make sense.

But what if your factor in, when not at home and not even where you can stream... IMO that would be one possible take on this whole discussion. Its a convenience thing for on the road, people using their own BR content... on the road etc. (didn't someone say they were a mobile computing company?)

Should Apple support something that 'me' the consumer wants. Well if it would make sense, if they offer the older similar standard and if the demand is there to make the business decision.

I don't know Apples business calcs or methods or goals, but there has been reports of Steve saying doesn't like paying the BR royalties. Which does not mean it would not be profitable or do-able.

Is the demand for BR player(real or illusionary.. ooh Blue ray) enough to warrent an Apple BR drive? well the arguements seen on this board show there is an active interest, whether anyone thinks it makes 'logical' sense or not. I presume companies don't always sell what consumers need, but sometimes sell what the consumer wants (which is need by default?)?

Personally, don't have any dog in this fight, I want an ability to 'EASILY AND LEGALLY' copy DVD BR etc for mobile use, but it sure 'seems' to make sense to at least offer a drive as an option until then.
  • Reply 99 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

I have FIOS at home, streaming seems perfectly fine to me, maybe you have local issues with your network you should look into.

Nope, my network is solid on the intranet side. I can stream full 1080p high bitrate MKV files from my Mac to my WDTV Live box with a problem. I actually think it's Netflix. They've sent me emails saying "sorry you had trouble watching streamed content" without me even complaining about it.
  • Reply 100 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Exactly true. BlueRays aren't going anywhere. They aren't dead, but neither are they going to be mainstream like DVD before it. And there's little reason for Apple to make it a feature of a laptop, which is the actual point of this commercial, regardless of how we have moved on a tangent from it.

Thompson

i'd disagree. i think the PS3 has had a big hand bringing blu-rays to the masses. It';s slowly becoming a much more mainstream solution then most thought it would be. if there were no blu-ray support in the ps3, blu-ray would still be an elite media that only a few people used.

with the big change in the number of releases, you can see blu-ray slowly taking over store shelf space, and slowly growing. no, it won't be like when dvd replaced vhs, but it is happening and still is growing.

apple sometimes is in a world of it's own when it comes to making choices. i would have an appletv if it supported dnla (which i don't believe it does) since i have two nas units with my personally owned movies on them. why they wouldn't include dnla support is beyond me, unless they want itunes to have a stranglehold on what you can watch.