New Windows 7 ad criticizes Apple's lack of Blu-ray support on Mac

Comments

• Reply 101 of 410
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kabelad View Post

you might want to inform netflix and blockbuster. they haven't heard that news yet.

On the contrary. Blockbuster is hearing it loud and clear, as their whole business model is getting torched. Underlying the rise of Netflix over Blockbuster is a fundamental fact: people want their movies as cheaply and conveniently as possible. With respect to the convenience aspect, streaming is the answer for that, and primary reason that Netflix still sends out DVDs in the mail is because the studios are frightened of the streaming model.

Quote:

just because you may not use them doesn't mean you or your opinion reflect the whole of the population. a lot of people still buy/rent dvd and blu-ray because either streaming just isn't there or they want a full hd experience at home.

Most people that still rent DVDs do so because streaming isn't available for the flick they want to watch.

Most people that rent Blu-Rays do so because they are videophiles and are in the minority.

Thompson
  • Reply 102 of 410
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

I'm not trying to be an Apple apologist here. I'm just saying that I think your perspective is influenced by our lack of insight into the Apple decision process as well as your strong desire for BlueRay.

Thompson

How about the fact that Apple is on the Blu-ray Disc Association's board of directors, but still does not include Blu-ray in its own computers?

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/mar/10blu-ray.html
  • Reply 103 of 410
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Never mind. I misread the post I was replying to.
  • Reply 104 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

On the contrary. Blockbuster is hearing it loud and clear, as their whole business model is getting torched. Underlying the rise of Netflix over Blockbuster is a fundamental fact: people want their movies as cheaply and conveniently as possible. With respect to the convenience aspect, streaming is the answer for that, and primary reason that Netflix still sends out DVDs in the mail is because the studios are frightened of the streaming model.

Most people that still rent DVDs do so because streaming isn't available for the flick they want to watch.

Most people that rent Blu-Rays do so because they are videophiles and are in the minority.

Thompson

most people that rent dvds do not have the option to stream because they do not live in areas with a solid infrastructure so they can have high speed internet. People seem to forget that not everyone can get fast internet, and not everyone lives in supported areas.

i find most the people i know, like me that like blu-ray isn't for the video itself but for the audio and the full experience. i've seen plenty of poor blu-ray transfers video wise, but on the same note, there are some incredible audio transfers that make the whole experience worth it.
  • Reply 105 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

How about the fact that Apple is on the Blu-ray Disc Association's board of directors, but still does not include Blu-ray in its own computers?

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/mar/10blu-ray.html

Well, who knows if they still are. That was 5 years ago after all.
  • Reply 106 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

I dont really care about Blu-Ray to be honest.

It's funny you should say that. I bought a Sony BD player w/wifi about a year ago since I have a 52-inch TV and thought that it would be a good investment.

Since then, I have watched exactly one BD movie

The worst use of $250 that I can (recently) recall. \
  • Reply 107 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So you find that to be convenience option you want, but most people aren?t going to want to spend an excessive amount of money to pay for a Blu-ray player to watch the occasional movie on their notebook.

Try this math:
    Take what would be the minimum upgrade cost for a 9.5mm Blu-ray drive from Apple, which is $500 ?though likely be more due to the requirement for a slot-loading drive ? and divide that number by the number of months you?d use that computer (I think 2.5 years is average).

Now take the number of Blu-ray videos you own, divide by the number of months it took you to acquire them. Now we have a Blu-ray median of what you watch in a month, based on a single viewing (which is how most adults watch a movie). Multiple that number by the $3.99.
    If that number is higher than the per month cost of that Blu-ray drive then it would be likely be a net savings for you, but looking at the aforementioned rate of sales of Blu-ray over DVD, and popularity of digital streaming and downloads over all optical media, it?s simply not true for many so the questions remain: Why should Apple support something just because you want it? Why should Apple support something that competes with their focus and goals, and doesn?t positively affect their bottom line.

PS: You?ve focused on Blu-ray support but you haven?t once mentioned AACS support which is essential for playback of studio Blu-ray titles. All you?ve done is bellyache that Apple should offer the HW directly.

PPS: Anyone who wants to simplify or correct my maths please do so as I only wrote that a single thought without any calculations. It?s just a reference point.

Why should Apple support something just because you want it? Why should Apple support something that competes with their focus and goals, and doesn?t positively affect their bottom line.

That sums it up, it's got nothing at all to do with the customer, but you TRY and play it off as if it were.

I've read a lot of your posts here over the last couple of years mate, if you aren't on here pontificating about something or other in an overly verbose manner you are shouting the odds that your Apple stock has gone up. if you're clever, well done, so am I and the majority of the people on here. Give yourself a medal, but get your head out out of your ass to help you pin it on.
  • Reply 108 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MeniThings View Post

Fact: DVD/Blu Ray battery life averages 1.5 hours on a modern Sony laptop. 2 hours at best.

Fact: A modern MacBook can play HD movies between 5 - 10 hours.

Fact: Avatar is over 2.5 hours long.

No thank you Microsoft.

well first i have to say, macs do have long battery life,

but since when was Sony the only company that used BD drives as an upgade option?

also:http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-...k.40121.0.html

it gets 1:45 of battery life with blue-ray, with a small battery, if you planned to use it on airplanes you would usually upgrade the battery, multiplying the battery life by 1.5-2.5 times.

i do agree that macs are more economical on flights and other travel with batteries

on that note, some pc's can achieve "over 9 hours (xps 15) which translates to 3+ hours of BR.....

MS failed with this one, still, its better than it funeral
  • Reply 109 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It's funny you should say that. I bought a Sony BD player w/wifi about a year ago since I have a 52-inch TV and thought that it would be a good investment.

Since then, I have watched exactly one BD movie

The worst use of $250 that I can (recently) recall. \

What movie?
  • Reply 110 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josephwinters View Post

"Lord Jobs?" Really? Seriously? Give me a break!

I mean come on, I've been a mac enthusiest for years and always see people saying "Lord Jobs" or "papa jobs"... I don't bring this observation up to find out why people do it, because any senseless dolt can hear the under-toned message behind the snarky bit and automatically figure it out.

But It's uncalled for. Even if the assembled multitude of folks on a MAC RUMOR forum have a somewhat biased view, the connection is at the very most ephemeral.

When someone uses a reference like that, I see any basis for an intelligent argument or point made just tossed out the window.

Ultimately, it's the consumers choice as to what is followed or believed in. APPLE can only assume a correct road map for what we want and implement the paving of such. IF it works, great! If not, they try again.

That's not godly like. That's not lord like. That's far from Steve or Apple creating a "reality distortion field"... That's just fucking business.

Ahem.

"APPLE can only assume a correct road map for what we want" . Ahem indeed son.
  • Reply 111 of 410
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Sorry, little hard to follow, are you presuming people want an Apple BR drive to use only at home? As a home player? If so you are correct, doesn't make sense.

But what if your factor in, when not at home and not even where you can stream... IMO that would be one possible take on this whole discussion. Its a convenience thing for on the road, people using their own BR content... on the road etc. (didn't someone say they were a mobile computing company?)

I formatted the usage pattern for when you are truly mobile. The convenience off having one format to rule them all simply doesn?t work out for most considering the cost and power usage involved compared to other methods. There is a reason why digital downloads and streaming is so much more popular than all physical media combined: it?s the most common convenience that people look for.

Quote:

Should Apple support something that 'me' the consumer wants. Well if it would make sense, if they offer the older similar standard and if the demand is there to make the business decision.

I don't know Apples business calcs or methods or goals, but there has been reports of Steve saying doesn't like paying the BR royalties. Which does not mean it would not be profitable or do-able.

Is the demand for BR player(real or illusionary.. ooh Blue ray) enough to warrent an Apple BR drive? well the arguements seen on this board show there is an active interest, whether anyone thinks it makes 'logical' sense or not. I presume companies don't always sell what consumers need, but sometimes sell what the consumer wants (which is need by default?)?

It?s pretty simple to figure out their goals, which are the arguments I?ve been trying to bring up in thing thread (and all such threads) that people complain (or foolishly expect) Apple to adopt Blu-ray. It?s the end of 2010 and they don?t even support AACS, so even the suggestion of Apple ( a company focused on svelte, power efficient designs) investing in 9.5mm ultra-slim sloat-laoding Blu-ray drives is silly.

Quote:

Personally, don't have any dog in this fight, I want an ability to 'EASILY AND LEGALLY' copy DVD BR etc for mobile use, but it sure 'seems' to make sense to at least offer a drive as an option until then.

Neither do I. Personally, I wish they would adopt it just to shut people up (though they?d surely bitch about the cost of the drives), but it won?t change my Mac buying habits, their stock price, or anything else. It?ll just be a mostly ignored option.

As for legally copying video, that won?t likely to happen for a very, very, very long time.
  • Reply 112 of 410
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    I thought PC users only played Solitaire on plane flights.
  • Reply 113 of 410
    Will the three people who use Blu-Ray please raise their hands?
  • Reply 114 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

That's why the compact disc lost to the audio cassette, why the DVD lost to the video tape, why Blu-Ray isn't being adopted just as quickly as DVD was...

Movies on Television... Video Tape... DVD... Blu-Ray... Streaming and/or Downloads...

Here's the problem with the Blu-ray step in that technology advancement chain: unlike the others in the chain, it offers NO increase in convenience relative to its predecessor (the DVD). Furthermore, with respect to quality, its predecessor (the DVD) is GOOD ENOUGH for the majority of users most of the time. That means that the value proposition for most people to try Blu-ray is really unclear, hence a slower penetration for Blu-ray than the technologies that preceded it. Then along comes downloads, which undeniably ratchet the convenience factor up to unprecedented levels. But the quality factor remains at DVD level for now, or perhaps even at SD level! But people are using it anyway and liking it. I rent shows or movies on demand via Comcast all of the time, and I never pay the extra buck for high definition. You may, but I would wager most people choose like I do.

Here's my take: most people will skip purchasing a Blu-ray player of any kind, unless it comes along for the ride with a game player. And many of those will never purchase or rent a Blu-ray disk.

For those of you that do otherwise, I understand your motivation... but I don't think you will ever be in the majority.

Thompson
  • Reply 115 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post

so you would rather watch a film on a 3" screen than a 17"screen? Enjoy that experience.

The last time I tried to watch a movie on a Laptop on a flight was fine -- up until about a minute in, when the guy in front of me reclined his seat back all the way.

I am 6'1" tall and could not scrunch my body into any position to watch a movie on the laptop -- but what little I saw looked great in hi-res!

• Reply 116 of 410
    Quote:

most people that rent dvds do not have the option to stream because they do not live in areas with a solid infrastructure so they can have high speed internet. People seem to forget that not everyone can get fast internet, and not everyone lives in supported areas.

Fair enough to point out that oversight on my part, but it only further supports my point: when (and if) given a choice, people would choose streaming over DVDs.

Quote:

i find most the people i know, like me that like blu-ray isn't for the video itself but for the audio and the full experience. i've seen plenty of poor blu-ray transfers video wise, but on the same note, there are some incredible audio transfers that make the whole experience worth it.

Thank you again for pointing out that my example was incomplete, but again, it only further supports my point. You are both a videophile AND an audiophile. But you are in the minority if you are a person that so cherishes it that you would require it even on your laptop. (You know, the point of this commercial and article?)

Thompson
  • Reply 117 of 410
    Quote:

HOLLER! Audio is something to be amazed by - and when done right the digital transfer can be supreme but when its not well its about as equal to its dvd counter... Some people do enjoy the experience of a movie and some people would just as well download a 200p wmv file of a bootleg cam shoot of the movie in the theatre with people getting up and throwing popcorn in the video. High brow - low brow.
  • Reply 118 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post

So Microsoft went from not needing to mention Apple, and thereby demeaning itself, to needing to define itself in terms of Apple.

Apple, meanwhile, went from comparing itself to the big guy, to being able to stand on its own two feet.

Best reply so far. Brilliant!

I could not said it better myself.
  • Reply 119 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The last time I tried to watch a movie on a Laptop on a flight was fine -- up until about a minute in, when the guy in front of me reclined his seat back all the way.

I am 6'1" tall and could not scrunch my body into any position to watch a movie on the laptop -- but what little I saw looked great in hi-res!

All my movie watching on the plane has been a wonderful experience on the iPad... even when people lean back their seats! :-)

Thompson
  • Reply 120 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OskiO View Post

Maybe MS thinks you will keep your XBOX connected to the Internet 100% of the time and there will be times when you won't have your laptop connected to the Internet.

Or maybe they are just such a big company that the left and right hands never talk.

I bet MS wants to put Blu-Ray capability on the X-box. I also bet that Sony isn't letting MS put Blu-Ray in the X-box. The X-box would have complete parity with PS3, meaning that Sony loses a competitive advantage.