Apple issues developers second iOS 4.2 gold master for iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple on Friday released a second gold master of iOS 4.2, its forthcoming software update, which may address Wi-Fi connectivity issues some have reported with the iPad.

The new build, dubbed 8C134b, has replaced the previous gold master released to developers on Nov. 1. Typically a gold master issued to developers is identical to the version that eventually becomes the final release.

It is unknown what changes have been made in the second gold master, though it's possible the latest version could be to address Wi-Fi issues that some users experienced with the pre-release build. Recent reports have claimed that Apple hoped to release iOS 4.2 sooner, but was forced to push back the launch to address issues with the software.

However, Apple still remains on track for its promised launch window of November.

Numerous reports have made claims of dates of launch dates for the software, but they have changed frequently and so far have been incorrect. The Telegraph added its prediction to the mix on Friday, suggesting that Apple had delayed the release of iOS 4.2 until Nov. 24, based on information given by a "reliable source."

"A source that works closely with Apple said that the company had shelved its original plan to release the software update today, and had instead pushed back the launch until later this month," the report read.

Regardless of whether the software has actually been "delayed" from Apple's own internal launch goals, it has become increasingly apparent that there are issues with iOS 4.2. In addition to the Wi-Fi problems reported by testers of the first golden master, Apple has also cut features from AirPrint -- specifically, the ability to print to a shared printer through a Mac or Windows machine.

Printer sharing was supposed to be a part of Mac OS X 10.6.5, but the software was released Wednesday without any official support for sharing a printer with iOS devices. And iTunes 10.1 was supposed to allow shared printers for Windows users, but the update arrived Friday also without mention of AirPrint.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    I have the same problem on an iPhone 4 with iOS 4.2. Hope it's also fixed! So is my wife on her 3GS with 4.2. Pleeeeeeeez fix! Ty ;-)
  • Reply 2 of 76
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I predicted 24th about a week ago. Not a bad 'guess'.
  • Reply 3 of 76
    Quote:

In addition to the Wi-Fi problems reported by testers of the first golden master, Apple has also cut features from AirPrint

Hold on, are you saying they have also removed AirPrint features that exisited in the first GM, from this 2nd GM??

I know they removed them from the final version of 10.6.5, but from iOS 4.2?

I have the 1st 4.2 GM, and can print via my iMac on 10.6.5 fine (after copying some files from the 10.6.5 beta). Why would Apple also remove stuff from 4.2??
  • Reply 4 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Coords View Post

I have the same problem on an iPhone 4 with iOS 4.2. Hope it's also fixed! So is my wife on her 3GS with 4.2. Pleeeeeeeez fix! Ty ;-)

Sorry, only the iPad file was updated.
  • Reply 5 of 76
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Apple need to start using karat ratings along with the gold releases
  • Reply 6 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Apple need to start using karats ratings along with the gold releases

hehe Nice!
  • Reply 7 of 76
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    What I can't understand is why they would mess with the networking code. It has worked rather well in iOS. It is hard to believe their drivers are this freakishly unstable.
  • Reply 8 of 76
    The first edition was only Gold PLATED..... this one is solid Gold
  • Reply 9 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

hehe Nice!

c'ept I typo'd I should have written karat not karats! I was rushing before some one else wrote it lol
  • Reply 10 of 76
    Showering us with gold... Oh, wait --
  • Reply 11 of 76
    This from new iTunes. Yippeee, can't wait to try it.

<Choose which speakers to use

You can listen to iTunes audio through any of the following:

Your computer?s built-in speakers

Speakers connected to your computer and a power outlet

Remote speakers connected to an AirPort Express network

An AirPlay-enabled device>
  • Reply 12 of 76
    So recent iOS hardware and software faux pas now read:

Antennagate

Glass Shattering and/or fragility

Withdrawl of Slide on Cases

Proximity Sensor Bug (which personally has forced me to return 2 iPhone4s)

Poor performance of iOS 4 on iPhone 3G

Wifi Connectivity Issues

And now

The disappearance of Airprint

This is not the Apple we love...
  • Reply 13 of 76
    This release will be twice as Golden as the previous release, and 4 times as magical.
  • Reply 14 of 76
    I think it was primarily a fix for the mute switch.
  • Reply 15 of 76
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    the most magical update ever. ever. iOS. double click to adjust volume and brightness. i can wirelessly prin... err, NEW FONTS in notepad.

this is incredible. i'm excited it's gone DOUBLE GOLDEN master. double. two times as much golden. the most golden master EVER.

a WHITE case. liquid metal. the most liquid metal EVER in a computer. no one else even comes CLOSE to how liquid our metal is. lightpeak, which we're calling iPeak. it's trippy how fast this is. no one else comes close. now we've got an ad i'd like to show you...
  • Reply 16 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoogH View Post

I think it was primarily a fix for the mute switch.

Good joke. Apple are not that sensible.
  • Reply 17 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

the most magical update ever. ever. iOS. double click to adjust volume and brightness. i can wirelessly prin... err, NEW FONTS in notepad.

this is incredible. i'm excited it's gone DOUBLE GOLDEN master. double. two times as much golden. the most golden master EVER.

a WHITE case. liquid metal. the most liquid metal EVER in a computer. no one else even comes CLOSE to how liquid our metal is. lightpeak, which we're calling iPeak. it's trippy how fast this is. no one else comes close. now we've got an ad i'd like to show you...

Whoosh?..
  • Reply 18 of 76
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Thats gold Jerry...gold.
  • Reply 19 of 76
    @ joindup

...can't say that I agree specifically with everything you've said... but I do agree that this isn't the Apple we've known and loved.

Specifically calling out software, I'd like to see all the stuff they've 'promised' on stage, and haven't delivered 'recently'.

Hardware, well, the new iPhone is 90/10 ratio of glass to non-glass. Up from 45/55 with the iPhone 3G's.

Can't say the breakage of the hardware on the iPhone 4 was a complete shock, it's simple physics. (Never saw Antennagate as anything but hype).

• Reply 20 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcwacky View Post

Hold on, are you saying they have also removed AirPrint features that exisited in the first GM, from this 2nd GM??

I know they removed them from the final version of 10.6.5, but from iOS 4.2?

I have the 1st 4.2 GM, and can print via my iMac on 10.6.5 fine (after copying some files from the 10.6.5 beta). Why would Apple also remove stuff from 4.2??

From what I can tell, Apple is removing AirPrint to shared printers attached to a Mac or PC, whereas they are maintaining it for use with printers that have native compatibility with AirPrint such as HP's ePrint printers.

This 2nd GM sounds like it's just to fix some serious flaws with Wi-Fi in the previous GM, so probably no change to the AirPrint stack already set for release in iOS 4.2.