Gartner mobile figures supporting Android differ from IDC by 77 million

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I had a web site up back then that had all the data with nice graphs. I contacted MacUser and MacWorld and it was well known on comp.sys.mac.advocacy.

At the time, no one cared. I don't have the data any more, but it wouldn't be hard to recreate it if you look up all of Gartner's estimated and actual software sales numbers from the 90's.

Why don't you recreate all your data and I'll take a look at them.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gromit View Post

I seem to remember analyists were saying 9 months ago, that Apple would sell 1.5 million iPads in 2010. They will actually sell over 10 million. Why are anyone surprised when these people come out with dumb figures. It's all guesswork.

Not guesswork but rather lies, damned lies, statistics and statistics on steroids.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    Other = white box Chinese SmartClones.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

The piece is shoddy in many respects. A total POS. It is the fault of the editors. It should not have been published in its current form.

What Dilger is pointing to is that Gartner has this huge Other category for mobile phones in general and it appears that the smartphone portion of that Other category is being assumed to be Android. How do we know that? Well as Dilger points out and his critics ignore, the individual venders of Android smartphones do not have a dramatically rising share of total phone sales. Only the OTher category is way up for total phone sales and that appears to be flowing into the dramatically increased numbers for android smartphones according to Gartner.

At a minimum there is a major issue here. What exactly is included in that Android shipment number. Those sales should be broken out by vender with a separate number for other. Just like for total mobile phone sales. Why does Gartner provide a vender breakout for total mobile sales but then switch to an OS reporting method for smartphones?
  • Reply 45 of 55
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Why don't you recreate all your data and I'll take a look at them.

I found it on a web archive.

Sorry, it wasn't Gartner - it was the Software Publisher's Association who provided the data (Gartner merely republished it).

http://web.archive.org/web/199911040...agosta/spa.htm
  • Reply 46 of 55
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 47 of 55
    deleted
  • Reply 48 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

So now you exonerate Gartner and it's someone else who created the data?

And it turns out it was fraudulent claims of sales records at all?

Any other changes you want to make?

It was fraudulent reporting of the data - first by SPA and then reported on by Gartner - neither one of which agreed to correct their misinformation.

How much detail do you remember from a report that you wrote 12 years ago?
  • Reply 49 of 55
    Quote:

It was fraudulent reporting of the data - first by SPA and then reported on by Gartner - neither one of which agreed to correct their misinformation.

Just found this interesting snippet. The guy who was on the SPA board in the years this false reporting was done is now on the Gartner board and also works for Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/e...o/default.aspx
  • Reply 50 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cesjr View Post

What Dilger is pointing to is that Gartner has this huge Other category for mobile phones in general and it appears that the smartphone portion of that Other category is being assumed to be Android. How do we know that? Well as Dilger points out and his critics ignore, the individual venders of Android smartphones do not have a dramatically rising share of total phone sales. Only the OTher category is way up for total phone sales and that appears to be flowing into the dramatically increased numbers for android smartphones according to Gartner.

At a minimum there is a major issue here. What exactly is included in that Android shipment number. Those sales should be broken out by vender with a separate number for other. Just like for total mobile phone sales. Why does Gartner provide a vender breakout for total mobile sales but then switch to an OS reporting method for smartphones?

Because Gartner is made up of incompetent hacks.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    deleted
  • Reply 52 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

The "false information" was, according to your notes, a survey, with no claims that it was data from sales receipts.

I guess you're unable to comprehend simple English. It was not data from sales receipts, nor was it about the specific data.

It was about SPA's continued use of data that was demonstrably false and never correcting it. And their continued reports that Apple's software sales were declining when their own data didn't support it.

And Gartner's repeated publication of SPA data as if it were true - even after they were informed that it was false.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    deleted
  • Reply 54 of 55
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:

I guess you're unable to comprehend simple English. It was not data from sales receipts, nor was it about the specific data.

It was about SPA's continued use of data that was demonstrably false and never correcting it. And their continued reports that Apple's software sales were declining when their own data didn't support it.

And Gartner's repeated publication of SPA data as if it were true - even after they were informed that it was false.

All you can dig up was stuff from 15 years ago and from surveys of software sold.

Nothing to do with hardware sold --- which is a lot easier to track.

The most recent sample of such incorrect survey is the ChangeWave survey (that often tells you that x% of people like to buy an iphone) --- but they never manage to reconcile their numbers later on.
  • Reply 55 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

All you can dig up was stuff from 15 years ago and from surveys of software sold.

Nothing to do with hardware sold --- which is a lot easier to track.

The most recent sample of such incorrect survey is the ChangeWave survey (that often tells you that x% of people like to buy an iphone) --- but they never manage to reconcile their numbers later on.

What does that have to do with anything?

I asserted that I don't trust Gartner because they were supporting and publishing SPA data which was clearly erroneous.

None of your comments have anything to do with that. MacRules' drooling is even further off the mark.

I have established pretty convincingly that SPA knowingly liked about the information they were presenting in order to present an inaccurate view of Apple's position (considering that MIcrosoft was the major source of SPA revenue, I guess that's not surprising). Gartner knowingly published and used the SPA data which I proved was inaccurate.

None of your silly arguments about Changewave or iphones or anything that you've brought up negates those facts.