Apple issues developers second iOS 4.2 gold master for iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flydog View Post

I, along with 99.9% of other Apple customers, have not experienced any of these issues.

I don't buy it. 3G issues are widely reported as have been issues with 4.0 on all models.

In effect you are saying you never had Safari crash on your device or never had to reboot to clear performance or battery lifetime issues? This after the upgrade to 4.0.

Quote:

It is also perplexing that you are complaining about the alleged "pulling" of a feature of a product that has not even been released.

Well I will give you that one. So far though iOS has been pretty crappy as a software release.

Quote:

If you dislike Apple so much, perhaps now is the time to move to the Microsoft forums.

See this is the sort of ignorance I find highly distressing. It is not an issue of hate but really one of love for this product of Apples. Many of us see a company that has become reckless with iOS and are thus voicing our opinions loudly. Why.? Maybe because we get pissed off when getting screwed over or taken advantage of. It is pretty obvious that Apples quality control procedures need an overhaul with respect to iPhone and iOS. Frankly I'm not sure how anybody could argue differently the evidence is pretty clear.

Like I said in another post my MBP runs like a champ and has actually gotten much better after purchasing it in early 2008. I can't say that about my iPhone. I like my Mac and even my iPhone, I'm not one however to throw on rose colored glasses to isolate myself from reality. Rather I and I suspect many others, speak up because we really love the iPhone and the concepts behind it and are not at all pleased with what has happened recently with respect to iOS.
  • Reply 42 of 76
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Considering WiFi is a key component of these devices last minute glitches like this one simply aren't acceptable. Frankly it should be heavily tested well before golden master time.

The reality is that no one knows for certain why Apple is delaying the release. However, it seems that Apple just can't win either way. They get reamed for delaying it and not "testing" it enough, and of course, certain folks here will are just looking for the moment to scream at them for putting out a release that had problems.

In this case, they're getting smacked for supposed problems that is in a release that is not even out yet??? IMHO, it's not Gold until it's on actual consumer products. So I'm fine they delayed.

Lighten-up people. I prefer they get it done right the first time out of the gate.
  • Reply 43 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Considering WiFi is a key component of these devices last minute glitches like this one simply aren't acceptable. Frankly it should be heavily tested well before golden master time.

Are you moving the goal posts to say that Apple shouldn?t ever have an issue with a development build of iOS? Just because it?s GM doesn?t mean it?s without issue; do you think these are sent to devs for the fun of it? It?s also why there are point updates to major, feature releases. This is software, there will be issues that crop up.
  • Reply 44 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joindup View Post

Talk about inviting Android to rush in....

Thanks for the laugh, Joindup! Because we all know Android works so well, no problems there

P.S. And I'm NOT trying to cover-up Apple's problems, but to say people are flocking to Android because of some software issues with iOS, is just silly.
  • Reply 45 of 76
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Easy there cupcake - You're not any kind of player, there was no contest, I wasn't requesting a feature, I was explaining.

You should try both reading, then thinking, because those reflexes aren't very impressive.

You'll notice I said that's how the green button 'should' work? (probably not, probably all flustered with crafting your little retort, you forgot to read correctly)

That's how it's supposed to work, but not all apps follow this behavior... even some written by Apple. It also has the annoying habit of sometimes toggling only between the default and custom sizes of a window.

But hey, it's your bolded footer, you can write whatever you like. However I might suggest instead of the convoluted ramblings, you might advertise your ideas better with this.

Think before you post. Or at least admit you put your foot in it. "Apple figured that out long ago, and is probably a serious contributing factor into why you aren't doing much OS/UI work."

Remove foot from mouth and quit babbling.
  • Reply 46 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JWV View Post

Why all the fuss about Air Printing? Who prints anything these days anyway? iPad is the best device ever to finally go all paperless and save some trees. My all-in-one printer/scanner/fax these days only gets used for scanning documents from 20th century relics, placing them in my online hard disk, so I can access any document from my iPad anywhere in the world. So, really missing from iOS 4.2 is full WebDav access from all native apps and iWork, not any paper wasting functionality that would require you to leave on your PC or Mac while working on your iPad.

I have the idea you could place anything on the glass of the iPad and it would instantly capture it. Business cards, Paper (trickier but still possible) etc. When we have instant paper scanning without the trouble of scanning (which let's face it has been around for 20 years in it's current form)... Then maybe less paper will be used because everything can be instantly captured and sent to the cloud. BTW Evernote is awesome. I just hope their security is up to par, as with MobileMe and Google cloud services. Looks like our heads are truly in the clouds nowadays.
  • Reply 47 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

Thanks for the laugh, Joindup! Because we all know Android works so well, no problems there

P.S. And I'm NOT trying to cover-up Apple's problems, but to say people are flocking to Android because of some software issues with iOS, is just silly.

Phew, it's getting pretty hard to make constructive criticism these days on AI.

I'm suggesting that a buggy iOS creates an invitation for competitors to attack. I didn't say they HAD taken up the invitation, but I'm big enough to admit that the competitive offerings are improving. I WILL stick by Apple, as their products are legend BUT when a promised feature is possibly dropped, it can make life hard for developers trying to plan Apps which help keep the iPhone ahead.
  • Reply 48 of 76
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Way too much arguing going on in this thread.

I came here to see if others had installed the second 4.2 gm and are seeing improvements or the same?

My wifi issue, which is the typical documented issue, still exists so far in 4.2 GMb.
  • Reply 49 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Good points and welcome to the forum.

The only thing being pulled from the iPad that bothers me is the removal of the HW orientation lock. Oddly, it?s the one thing joindup doesn?t mention. This was a feature put in place for the release of the iPad and is still there. That?s 8 months it?ll be used by some people just to be changed when this update is released with no Setting to switch the physical toggle switch from being an orientation lock to a mute switch, which really isn?t needed as holding volume down for a second will instantly mute the device.

I absolutely agree. I will eventually update, but I hate the removal of the hardware orientation lock.
  • Reply 50 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

It doesn?t ?just work? because you?re running a modern OS on antiquated hardware. Why is this so hard to comprehend?

I don?t even know how to respond to those people that use a marketing slogan as a absolute engineering requirement. Apple?s control over the HW and SW does allow them the ability to make smoother transitions than most, but that doesn?t mean it?s going to be a guarantee. If it was to ?Just Work? without fail then we?d have little need for point updates.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

I absolutely agree. I will eventually update, but I hate the removal of the hardware orientation lock.

I think I?ll write to Mr. Jobs today. It?s one thing to change up a feature that is still in Beta (still miss Safari 5 with tabs on top, but I accept it), but 8 months with a setup and no option to change it back in SW seems ridiculous to me.
  • Reply 51 of 76
    Quote:

I think I?ll write to Mr. Jobs today. It?s one thing to change up a feature that is still in Beta (still miss Safari 5 with tabs on top, but I accept it), but 8 months with a setup and no option to change it back in SW seems ridiculous to me.

You mean Safari 4, right? And someone already e-mailed him about it. He's not changing it back and not adding it as an option.
  • Reply 52 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You mean Safari 4, right? And someone already e-mailed him about it. He's not changing it back and not adding it as an option.

Whatever Safari Beta that had it. I guess it could have been v4b

This is where multiple emails and petitions could have an effect as it requires little effort on Apple?s part to include a SW settings to switch the physical toggle button between Mute and Orientation.

Did he respond to such an email?
  • Reply 53 of 76
    Quote:

Whatever Safari Beta that had it. I guess it could have been v4b

Yep, something like that. I miss it as well, and it works with the vertical stoplight as then more of the space is given to tabs and the stoplight can float down beside the toolbar that is always there.

Quote:

Did he respond to such an email?

Sure did. http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/24/...nge-permanent/
  • Reply 54 of 76
    Quote:

Sure did. http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/24/...nge-permanent/

Nuts! That answers my specific request to make it user selectable. Oh well, I?ll send my email anyway. You never know how many he?s received on the issue or how fast is his position.
  • Reply 55 of 76
    Quote:

Nuts! That answers my specific request to make it user selectable. Oh well, I?ll send my email anyway. You never know how many he?s received on the issue or how fast is his position.

Steve Jobs can't be swayed from his ideas unless he believes that yours is better. Then he'll behave as though it was always his idea and you had the opposing position.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andy Hertzfield, one of the original Macintosh engineers

Well, just because he tells you that something is awful or great, it doesn't necessarily mean he'll feel that way tomorrow. You have to low-pass filter his input. And then, he's really funny about ideas. If you tell him a new idea, he'll usually tell you that he thinks it's stupid. But then, if he actually likes it, exactly one week later, he'll come back to you and propose your idea to you, as if he thought of it.

The iPad was listed as having Mute during the keynote, I believe. The website turned that into an orientation lock, which everyone loved. The switch back is nonsense.

http://www.tipb.com/2010/03/12/goodb...n-lock-switch/
  • Reply 56 of 76
    Quote:

Good points and welcome to the forum.

The only thing being pulled from the iPad that bothers me is the removal of the HW orientation lock. Oddly, it?s the one thing joindup doesn?t mention. This was a feature put in place for the release of the iPad and is still there. That?s 8 months it?ll be used by some people just to be changed when this update is released with no Setting to switch the physical toggle switch from being an orientation lock to a mute switch, which really isn?t needed as holding volume down for a second will instantly mute the device.

The reason I see for the orientation/mute change is related more to alarms and alerts. If it's nap time (all ages included). You switch on your mute for your iPad and iPhone and you know some alert won't wake up the house without ever turning on your device. Same goes for movies or meetings(turn off beeps). This will be more important when alarm and Skype type app are running in the background . If you need orientation lock it is a given that your iPad is on and in use so software button is always there (double click, swipe, tap button)
  • Reply 57 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

Why, just because? Once you have apps running in the background you'll want to shut off alarms and alerts without looking at or powering up your iPad . You never need to reach in your pack or briefcase to disable the orientation.
  • Reply 58 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MauiJoe View Post

Why, just because? Once you have apps running in the background you'll want to shut off alarms and alerts without looking at or powering up your iPad . You never need to reach in your pack or briefcase to disable the orientation.

What alarms? It's an iPad. There's no clock app.
  • Reply 59 of 76
    Quote:

What alarms? It's an iPad. There's no clock app.

I was wondering that, too. And if there was an alarm I depress the volume down button for an instant to mute the device, as has been the case with v3.x on the iPad.

Trying to see it from Apple?s PoV, their reasoning may have to do with changes coming with v5.0 (that have easily been ironed out in the release of the iPad) that will make this toggle switch change make sense next year. Meaning, they are getting everything inline now because sooner rather than later is key with iPads sales growing so quickly. Whilst 10M units sold is a lot, it pales in comparison to the number of units to be sold before v5.0 is released.
  • Reply 60 of 76
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Are you moving the goal posts to say that Apple shouldn’t ever have an issue with a development build of iOS?

Not at all, what I'm saying is that somethings should be stabilized well before a Goldem Master. Things like the kernel, network stack and other basic components of your OS need to stabilize well before you print your final build.

I look at it as an upside down pyramid, with the kernel at the very bottom followed closely by the networking stack and other low level drivers. If these are not right you can't possibly expect the upper levels of code to work correctly nor be especially easy to debug.

So if the indications are correct, that is a change was made that impacted networking right before GM release then yeah it reflects poorly on Apple.

Quote:

Just because it’s GM doesn’t mean it’s without issue;

No software is without issue, I'm certain we agree with that concept. In this case what bothers me is breaking something like networking one rev from release.

Quote:

do you think these are sent to devs for the fun of it?

Not at all. On the other hand how many developers out there dig into the guts of their code and disturb stable logic right before a major release?

Quote:

It’s also why there are point updates to major, feature releases. This is software, there will be issues that crop up.

This is my whole point, it is software which is composed of many components some of which are key. These key components need to be frozen well before the rest of the release and they need to be stable. Especially in the case of iPad where the thing is close to useless without WiFi. An iPad without WiFi is like a tractor without wheels, both can be useful but you need wheels to go anywhere.

Frankly I haven't been in contact with any developers in the last few weeks so maybe this WiFi rumor is all bunk. However back around the time of iOS 4.0 release more than a few people where surprised that Apple went with what they had due to all of the known bugs. I really have this fear that Apple is just becoming very sloppy with iOS releases. It is one thing to have to release point releases for things you didn't catch in QA, it is a whole different ball game when you release point releases to fix things that where previously released very broken. Broken it was if you where anything but a trivial user.

The other way to look at this, at keast personally for me, is that I bought my iPhone 3G and my MBP (early 2008) within a few months of each other. OS/X on my MBP has gotten progressively better while iOS has gotten progressively worst. Sadly it appears that most of iOS's problems involve poor coding or software QC. If you step back a bit the whole iOS development history looks like crap.

The common refrain I hear is that your 3G is old. Anybody with any sense knows that is not an issue because hardware has nothing to do with memory leaks and other coding issues in iOS. There is a limit to how much slack I'm willing to give Apple and obviously some will give Apple more, but they need to know they are not making customers happy out here. We are not all fanbois bent over ready and willing to take everything Apple throws at us, some actually expect software updates to work.