New Windows 7 ad criticizes Apple's lack of Blu-ray support on Mac

Comments

• Reply 341 of 410
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ASplayer View Post

your also forgetting, people's flights get delayed all the time, if your stuck for 8 hours, and you didnt plan on being stuck, you can just buy a bluray and watch it.

you apple fanboys really think you can download 4GB over airport wireless? or stream an HD movie on public internet? lol get real, most places cap your speeds so you cant even watch a low bitrate youtube video

At this very moment I have 5 movies, 63 TV shows and 1000+ songs on my iPad. There is still 13GB of capacity remaining. Running out of content and needing to buy a bluray disc is not something I'm too concerned about
  • Reply 342 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Another ridiculous post from the ill informed and misguided - Wow! BR was $500 million in sales last year! Sorry fool but that makes it a minor player in the grand scheme of things. BR is a single feature and is in no way a reason to buy or not buy a particular brand of laptop. BTW, do you even realize that MSFT DOES NOT MAKE computers and therefore has no control over wether or not one comes with BR functionality? DUH! Further, on a laptop screen, the video quality difference is negligible, especially realizing that Macs typically have higher res screens than most laptops in use today. Another big DUH at you...

your post is full of BS

$500 million is a small number to you?

the fact that windows 7 SUPPORTS bluray is what your missing, OSX DOES NOT even if there is a BD rom or BDRW drive

macs have high resolution screens? you dolt.

15" Macbook pro 1440x900

13" Sony vaio z series 1920x1080

15" Asus g53jw (the laptop i have now) 1920x1080

15" MSI GX series 1920x1080

15.4" dell D series from 3 years ago 1920x1200 (old work laptop from university)

Which has a higher res screen?

lets try this again

13" Macbook Pro or 13" Macbook air - 1366x768 | 1280x800

13" HP envy - 1600x900

one more time!

11.6" Macbook air - 1366x768

8" (YES EIGHT INCHES) Sony vgn-p13gh - 1600x768

• Reply 343 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

At this very moment I have 5 movies, 63 TV shows and 1000+ songs on my iPad. There is still 13GB of capacity remaining. Running out of content and needing to buy a bluray disc is not something I'm too concerned about

Even if it were, if you had one of those Mac laptops that don't support Blu-Ray, you could just buy a DVD instead. It's not like a Mac can't play movies at all, which is what this commercial implies.
  • Reply 344 of 410
    Quote:

which one of those movies is 1080p at 40mbit/s?

your 64GB of worthless media space is nothing compared to the 1TB netbooks can hold, whats funny is netbooks can output that over HDMI as well where as the ipad cant do shit. i dont even think the 1GHz samsung CPU can play 1080p.

64GB ipad in canada costs damn near $900

a 1TB netbook with upgraded ram and battery to last 16 hours worth of movie time is $670

the netbook can also run windows 7 ultimate with a couple VM's and multi task just incase you need to do some work
  • Reply 345 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Even if it were, if you had one of those Mac laptops that don't support Blu-Ray, you could just buy a DVD instead. It's not like a Mac can't play movies at all, which is what this commercial implies.

no really, macbookair's cant play DVD's, because according to almighty jobs and his whoring mouth, optical media is dead!

there are hordes of undead zombies using optical media and its your job to destroy them! JOBS COMMANDS THIS!
  • Reply 346 of 410
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    Quote:

which one of those movies is 1080p at 40mbit/s?

your 64GB of worthless media space is nothing compared to the 1TB netbooks can hold, whats funny is netbooks can output that over HDMI as well where as the ipad cant do shit. i dont even think the 1GHz samsung CPU can play 1080p.

64GB ipad in canada costs damn near $900

a 1TB netbook with upgraded ram and battery to last 16 hours worth of movie time is $670

the netbook can also run windows 7 ultimate with a couple VM's and multi task just incase you need to do some work

Unfortunately none of the movies on my iPad are 1080p at 40mbps and my iPad can't output over HDMI. This will be very inconvenient the next time I'm on an airplane that has a 60" TV in front of my seat.
  • Reply 347 of 410
    Quote:

no really, macbookair's cant play DVD's, because according to almighty jobs and his whoring mouth, optical media is dead!

there are hordes of undead zombies using optical media and its your job to destroy them! JOBS COMMANDS THIS!

So now we'are talking about MacBook Airs? In exactly what way is the laptop in the ad comparable to a MacBook Air?

Or are you moving the goalposts in order to obfuscate the fact that unlike what this ad is trying to imply, a traveler with a MacBook or a MacBook Pro can buy a physical disc to play during a flight just as easy as a traveler with a Windows laptop can.

From the ad:

"Avatar. Own it on Blu-ray and DVD."
  • Reply 348 of 410
    Quote:

Gosh, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but in the world of technology, standards change. Rather quickly. It's not up to you, or me, or Steve. It just happens. The way forward is littered with the debris of standards that most people couldn't see how they could live without.

Better to get used to it.
  • Reply 349 of 410
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

....that Windows 7 Does NOT support Blu-Ray movie playback without additional software. Remember the days of XP when you had to download additional Codecs for DVD playback....same thing goes for Blu-Ray, the only thing Windows 7 supports out of the box is reading files off of the disk. The codecs require regular renewal as well.

Why do you find it strange? If they included one by default then every copy of Windows 7 would be more expensive to cover the playback licencing, this way only people wanting Blu-ray playback pay for it.
  • Reply 350 of 410
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jhende7 View Post

Watching 1080p content on a 720p display - the benefits must be outstanding!

Atleast all MY macs have dvi or equivalent output.... That the hell are you talking about....
  • Reply 351 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by habi View Post

Atleast all MY macs have dvi or equivalent output.... That the hell are you talking about....

We're talking about watching movies on a plane, which is apparently not what you're talking about.
  • Reply 352 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by habi View Post

lol which one of your DVI's can output 7.1 audio?

only until recently were the displayports found in macbook able to output both audio and video with HDCP compliance.

this is straight off apple's website

Quote:

Note: *Audio support is only available for MacBook Pro 13/15/17-in. mid-2010 release; iMac 21.5/27-in. early-2010 release

• Reply 353 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Gosh, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but in the world of technology, standards change. Rather quickly. It's not up to you, or me, or Steve. It just happens. The way forward is littered with the debris of standards that most people couldn't see how they could live without.

Better to get used to it.

it will die when something better comes out, same with floppy drives,

floppy disks were used right up until usb flash drives came out, flash drives were larger capacity, faster and more compact, better in every single way (except price but that also changed)

currently downloaded content is not nearly as high quality as BD's, until all of our internet connections are faster and we have close to PB's of space as storage, i dont see BD's going anywhere

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

So now we'are talking about MacBook Airs? In exactly what way is the laptop in the ad comparable to a MacBook Air?

Or are you moving the goalposts in order to obfuscate the fact that unlike what this ad is trying to imply, a traveler with a MacBook or a MacBook Pro can buy a physical disc to play during a flight just as easy as a traveler with a Windows laptop can.

From the ad:

"Avatar. Own it on Blu-ray and DVD."

if im spending $20 on a movie, why the hell would i buy DVD? seriously, do any of you people care about quality?

why not buy mp3s encoded 64kbps instead of 320kbps? they are going to sound the same right becuase they are the same song?
  • Reply 354 of 410
    Quote:

Unfortunately none of the movies on my iPad are 1080p at 40mbps and my iPad can't output over HDMI. This will be very inconvenient the next time I'm on an airplane that has a 60" TV in front of my seat.

thats funny, jobs says netbooks are slow, have cramped keyboards, and clunky pc software

well what is the ipad?

too slow to play quality videos in any format, the samsung 1ghz cpu is ment for phones

cramped keyboards? its more cramped to type on a 9.7" screen while stealing half screen realestate

clunky pc software, last time i checked 64bit photoshop ran faster on PC's than it did on OSX,

the eeepc 1015PN being $399 and eeepc 1215N being the same price as the ipad doesnt have a 1080p screen, however it can still play 1080p content and output that over HDMI if you ever need it too (maybe once you arrive at your hotel there is a wall mounted tv there)

EDIT: does anyone see the ad at the bottom of the page? lol its advertising a vaio,

Quote:

Justin vs Media Monster

Get The Most Of Your Media With Sony VAIO. Powered by Intel.

• Reply 355 of 410
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    What's really weird is that no one has made an easy to use Blu-Ray player for OS X. Given that PowerDVD, etc can do so on Windows that's just a little odd if there really is pent up demand for Blu-Ray on OS X.

You can buy Blu-Ray drives for Macs if you want so it's not like the player wouldn't have some kind of market.
  • Reply 356 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

What's really weird is that no one has made an easy to use Blu-Ray player for OS X. Given that PowerDVD, etc can do so on Windows that's just a little odd if there really is pent up demand for Blu-Ray on OS X.

You can buy Blu-Ray drives for Macs if you want so it's not like the player wouldn't have some kind of market.

Really? They haven't? Because I've been using VLC and MakeMKV to play Blu-Ray on my Mac in OS X for a while now.

Jeez, people. Read posts.
  • Reply 357 of 410
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Really? They haven't? Because I've been using VLC and MakeMKV to play Blu-Ray on my Mac in OS X for a while now.

Jeez, people. Read posts.

Are you talking about putting an AACS protected Blu-ray disc in your Mac and playing back without illegally bypassing AACS or ripping to the drive?
  • Reply 358 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are you talking about putting an AACS protected Blu-ray disc in your Mac and playing back without illegally bypassing AACS or ripping to the drive?

I wouldn't say that MakeMKV is illegal, no. VLC is using the location defined by MakeMKV to play the files off the disk.
  • Reply 359 of 410
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

floppy disks were used right up until usb flash drives came out, flash drives were larger capacity, faster and more compact, better in every single way (except price but that also changed)

I stopped using floppy disks LONG before USB flash drives came out. I'm surprised that you used them for so long. It was easier to e-mail files than use floppies. What did you use them for?

Quote:

if im spending $20 on a movie, why the hell would i buy DVD? seriously, do any of you people care about quality?

Well, in my house, I am done with purchasing devices that play back physical media. I still have a few DVD players, but as they die (or perhaps even before) I'll be replacing them with streaming gear (such as AppleTV, but not necessarily so). In the meantime, some of my old (and very small) TVs still have DVD players attached to them. When my daughters want the new Barbie movie, I buy them on DVD, because that's what kind of player I have attached to their old TVs. It would make no sense to purchase a Blu-ray player for these TVs.

As far as quality is concerned... current streaming quality is inferior to Blu-ray, but I prefer the convenience by a long shot. And between the two methods, streaming has a better chance in the long run of improving quality than Blu-ray has of improving convenience. In other words, we know where this is ultimately headed (i.e. streaming wins eventually) and the current status is good enough for me (i.e. in favor of streaming).

Thompson
  • Reply 360 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

no, OSX doesnt support bluray's encryption methods, windows 7 does.

Thats the whole point of this commercial, mac users dont even have a choice, sure alot of people arent interested in BD becuase their library is HDD based, which is kind of what i do too (i have a QNAP 5 bay NAS with 10 TB of storage, most of its deticated to videos and music)

but alot of mac users want to have BD capability and they dont.