Apple iPad rival HP Slate sees demand fizzle at 9,000 units

Comments

• Reply 81 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

You negated yourself, turbo.

Of course the Slate is already on sale in Europe, and as you pointed out, that's exactly why you're still waiting for the iPad. You don't need a single fanboy to reach such a conclusion, nor does it take one to point it out.

I wasn't talking about the Slate. Dude, pay attention. I was speaking about the Tab.

Now you can make an argument that iPads are still not selling in Portugal because apple is having trouble in shipping them, so many are being sold in the States, etc. But that's merely speculation. Unless Daniel provides the numbers, I could also speculate other reasons for this. Perhaps Samsung is primarily shipping the Tab in countries where the iPad isn't first, to get those markets before the iPad. Do you have any knowledge about these facts or are you just making shit up, like Daniel appears to be?
  • Reply 82 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macarena View Post

Do you mean CJK Input, or CJK Handwriting Input? I mean - can I actually write the kanji characters on the screen and enter text that way? I know they have the Keyboard option - but that is not the same as Handwriting Input.

It's the latter. You can use handwriting, with your finger, or with a stylus, to enter characters on iOS by default.

Quote:

But in any case, talking about entering CJK - you would be amazed at how adept the Japanese (and I am sure the Chinese and Koreans too) are, at entering text in their native language, using just the 12-button keypad of feature phones! In fact some are so good at it that they can enter text extremely quickly, and even without seeing the keyboard!

And some people can enter English using T9 faster than you can type, as well. I actually prefer texting using T9, which is why I use a candy bar phone for a phone and an iPod Touch for media and apps. Best of both worlds.
  • Reply 83 of 137
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Singapura View Post

Imagine everyone's surprise when they actually sold 9000! Leave it to appleinsider to turn even this kind of success into a description of failure.

Apple has sold more than four times the number of iPads in a day than these 9000 Slates HP are rumoured to sell over six weeks.

Obviously the Slate is nowhere near the success of the iPad, to suggest otherwise is a distortion of reality.
  • Reply 84 of 137
    I'm an Apple fan. But view the comment coming out of RIM as a potential red flag for Apple's PR machine. It doesn't have to be accurate or rational. It's the perception that matters. And there is a growing perception among even some consumers that Apple is becoming an aggressively controlling entity.

For the first time in many years, I've heard comments from a few college students that have gone Android because they are "getting tired" of everything Apple.
  • Reply 85 of 137
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

In six months at random on-line tech reseller:

HP Slate prices slashed 50%

In twelve months:

Slate closeout sale. All Slate accessories (are there any?) 90% off!

Don't forget the free set of steak knives ...
  • Reply 86 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'd be more than skeptical. I'd be willing to bet that it's wrong.

5,000 units at $800 is only $4 M - and that even assumes that the retailer doesn't keep any of the selling price.

There's no way HP would develop a product for $4 M. Even if MS did all the software work, the tooling costs, marketing cost, testing costs, and support costs alone would more than eat up that much money.

HP Slate is a piece of crap. How much crap do you need anyway? HP is trying to cut its loss while disguising the failure of Slate by making a small production run. The R&D cost was already spent.

MS sold about as many KIN as HP will sell the Slate... lol.
  • Reply 87 of 137
    Exactly right. Like what kind of moron would you have to be to put millions into a phone, oh, let's call it a Kin, for example, and then kill it a month later?

I mean, NOBODY would do that. Therefore don't believe the HP figures.
  • Reply 88 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

I wasn't talking about the Slate. Dude, pay attention. I was speaking about the Tab.

Now you can make an argument that iPads are still not selling in Portugal because apple is having trouble in shipping them, so many are being sold in the States, etc. But that's merely speculation. Unless Daniel provides the numbers, I could also speculate other reasons for this. Perhaps Samsung is primarily shipping the Tab in countries where the iPad isn't first, to get those markets before the iPad. Do you have any knowledge about these facts or are you just making shit up, like Daniel appears to be?

iPads are shipping to MAJOR European countries.

Expect yours in 2015.
  • Reply 89 of 137
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    fake news story

no product under sells the kindle 3

hp loves its ink

• Reply 90 of 137
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Apple fanboyism strikes again, and who is a greater fanboy than Daniel?

Oh, man, I love you Daniel, but really, how on earth do you know that the Samsung Galaxy Tab was "quickly turned to anticipation of the next model"? Do you have the numbers that they are selling? FYI, they are already selling here in Portugal and I am still waiting for an iPad. Go figure...

It sucks, thats why.

The iPad owns the market. The game has been over for a while.
  • Reply 91 of 137
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjoakes View Post

I'm an Apple fan. But view the comment coming out of RIM as a potential red flag for Apple's PR machine. It doesn't have to be accurate or rational. It's the perception that matters. And there is a growing perception among even some consumers that Apple is becoming an aggressively controlling entity.

For the first time in many years, I've heard comments from a few college students that have gone Android because they are "getting tired" of everything Apple.

Lol I'm sure that's a true statement and not completely made up.

• Reply 92 of 137
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

You would have a point, except that the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch all have Chinese and Japanese handwriting input, built-in. Or did you not know that?

Go tell melgross. The point isn't whether or not the iPad has it. He was asking, "Who needs it" at all?
  • Reply 93 of 137
    Microsoft should stop making rubbish to steal our money ... !! JUST DONT release anything rubbish ..PLEASE!
  • Reply 94 of 137
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    9000 companies bought one HP Slate to assess it as an alternative to the iPad in their internal IT procurement assessment procedures.

I don't even know why HP would have bothered making only 5000 of something. Microsoft must have encouraged them.
  • Reply 95 of 137
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

In this case, it's his desire for the Galaxy Tab to be unsuccessful that makes him report as a fact what was Job's prediction that the tab will be a DOA. That's a confusion. Having the Galaxy S sold like hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Galaxy Tab selling well too. They do have something iPad doesn't have, video-chat. Apart from that, I agree that the iPad is better. But will the public agree with that?

Will the public agree a tablet that 45% the size, non IPS screen and $100 more expensive is a better option?

PS I have played with a Galaxy Tab.
  • Reply 96 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeBarnes View Post

iPads are shipping to MAJOR European countries.

Expect yours in 2015.

Well thanks for calling me unimportant. I really needed that, you know?
  • Reply 97 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

After announcing that demand for its HP Slate had "exceeded expectations," it has now leaked out that HP only planned to build 5,000 and ended up having to retool to build a total of 9,000 of them.

Compared to the average 46,555 iPads Apple sold per day over the last quarter (during constrained supplies), a total run of 9,000 isn't exactly the kind of demand tablet observers would describe as "exceeding expectations," instead positioning the Slate PC in the same dismal category of failure trailblazed by Microsoft's Zune and KIN phone.

Jointly unveiled by Microsoft and HP at an event just weeks before Apple first debuted the iPad, the HP Slate was supposed to herald a new generation of Microsoft Tablet PCs running Windows 7 under the new moniker "Slate PC," hopefully cutting the connection with the past decade of generations of failed Tablet-sized devices running either Windows CE or the full desktop version of Windows.

Instead, Apple's release of the iPad quenched any enthusiasm for "Slate PCs," sending HP back to the drawing board while other Windows PC makers either abandoned their slate offerings or looked into alternative platforms (including Google's competing Chrome OS and Android OS). HP itself purchased Palm, announcing plans to produce WebOS-based devices over the next year.

Recasting failure as an extraordinary surprise of sorts

This summer however, HP announced it would be offering its existing HP Slate 500 directly to business customers, skipping the consumer market until it could deliver a WebOS offering. It didn't announce that it only planned to build 5,000 of the Slate PC devices.

This weekend however, tech blog Engadget reported that a "trusted tipster" told it that HP "only ever planned a limited production run of 5,000 units" and "apparently had to re-hire production workers just to get the presses printing out tablets again, and are presently placating angry customers by offering them over $100 off their $800 purchase as apology."

On its website, HP euphemistically categorized the tiny production run and its incurring delay by saying, "due to extraordinary demand, the HP slate is on backorder. Orders are expected to ship in 6 weeks. Order now to reserve your place in the queue."

Waiting for an avalanche of iPad competitors

The potential for alternative tablet-shaped products to compete with Apple's iPad has generated intense interest in the industry, after Apple knocked the wind out of the fragile segment and subsequently brought its iPad to market rapidly before Microsoft Slate PCs, WebOS devices, Android slates, and RIM's promised QNX-based PlayBook could arrive.

The segment shattering introduction of the iPad left Apple with a 95 percent share of the tablet market despite the company's difficulties in building enough to satiate demand. Constrained supplies caused Apple to ship fewer iPads than many analysts expected in the past quarter, but the company has already managed to sell 7.5 million devices and create a catalog of over 30,000 iOS apps customized for the iPad by the end of its second quarter of sales.

Apple's chief executive Steve Jobs told analysts during the company's most recent quarterly earnings call that the "avalanche of tablets" that many are expecting is really just a "a handful of credible entrants," and said that the 7 inch screens they were using would result in products that are dead on arrival.

Steve Jobs dismisses the 7 inch tablet

Jobs said that other manufacturers were only using 7 inch screens (compared to the iPad's nearly 10 inch screen) because they lacked Apple's economies of scale, and added that a 7 inch screen is actually only 45% as large as the iPads, insisting that "this size isn't sufficient to create great tablet apps."

A 7 inch screen is "meaningless unless your tablet also includes sandpaper, so that the user can sand down their fingers to around one quarter of their present size," Jobs said. He added that Apple has done extensive research on touchscreen interfaces and what works best for users, which is how it arrived at a 9.7 inch display for the iPad.

Noting that all tablet users already have a mobile smartphone, Jobs indicated that tablets need to be big enough to be differentiated from mobile devices in terms of features. "No tablet can compete with mobility of a smartphone. Pocket size tablets are tweeners," Jobs said; too big for a smartphone and not big enough to work well as a tablet.

Jobs also took a direct shot at Android-based tablets, explaining that "nearly all of these tablets use Android. But even Google is saying don't use Froyo [the current release of Android OS], and instead to wait to use next years' version. What does it mean when a software maker says not to use their release and you use it anyway?

RIM's iPad umbrage

RIM co chief executive Jim Balsillie fired back at Jobs's comments, defending his company's upcoming 7 inch PlayBook tablet without directly countering anything Jobs said, and instead simply dismissing his comments by saying that customers are "getting tired of being told what to think by Apple."

"We know that 7 inch tablets will actually be a big portion of the market and we know that Adobe Flash support actually matters to customers who want a real web experience," Balsillie added.

While critics initially complained that the iPad was just a "big iPod touch," dismissing Jobs' presentation of the iPad occupying a new market segment between full sized notebooks and pocket-sized mobile devices, a variety of mini tablets and jumbo phones are now being welcomed as ostensibly filling an infinite spectrum of niches between standard-sized smartphones and the iPad.

The five inch Dell Streak and 7 inch Samsung Galaxy Tab have both hit the market with excitement that has quickly turned to anticipation of the next model expected to arrive, much like the series of devices held up as iPod-killers since 2002, and the onslaught of phones designated at iPhone-killers since 2007.

HP stinks their quality control is lousy and their customer service is nothing to praise. They bit off more than can chew it looks like now. They will never compete with the i pad period.
  • Reply 98 of 137
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    I expect this is a 'Keep Microsoft happy' product run. Pump out 9k units running Win 7. Then switch to HP Palm Web OS.

Hope they can find a retailer in the UK willing to sell them. Seems like the UK carriers have no interest in the new Pre.
  • Reply 99 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

It sucks, thats why.

The iPad owns the market. The game has been over for a while.

Ridiculous. The game has just started. Imagine in the middle of the 70s someone proclaiming that the "game was over", Apple II had "won the war". What kind of person would say this? Someone suffering from chronocentrism, that's who.
  • Reply 100 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I'm not. Apple's way is to keep a product in house for years, throwing out prototypes and starting over until it is perfected to the point of being a serious product. Others companies prefer to learn by doing. They put something out, then keep replacing and updating until they finally get it right. The Zune is a good example. The risk is that your early failures tend to make you lose credibility. Or that by the time you get it right, Apple has a huge, and perhaps insurmountable lead. Android has a third strategy, flood the market with different hardware versions and see what floats.

Your comment made me think of the notion that the hardware is just a vessel for whatever OS you might want to pour into it. Apple developed the hardware and the OS to go together. I think that approach tends to result in a superior product.

Well first off you are putting hardware dessign and software design all in one boat which Apple is one of the few that does both. I expected HP to wait becasue they bought Palm. That would have been a fairly logical conclusion.

Also with Android, Google doesn't care what hardware is released much like MS with Windows. Google isn't putting out hardware and seeing what floats they are putting out and OS and allowing others to create the hardware. Most of your new gen Android phones are very close in specs with only minor changes in features. I think all the new gen phones run 2.2 or will be by the end of the year.