Apple issues developers second iOS 4.2 gold master for iPad

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I predicted 24th about a week ago. Not a bad 'guess'.

Actually I would say it is a bad guess. That's the day before Thanksgiving and the stores and Apple Care will be closed on Thursday and Friday, perhaps also Saturday will be all hands on selling at the stores. No way are they going to do a software release during that time and risk total madness when it bonks folks phones and ipads.

My guess is that it will release early this next week or early the week after the holiday. Since they have already released iTunes 10.1 this coming week seems more likely.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

He has obviously invested in Apple products and if he has had problems that you have not experience why should he not be allowed to make his case. Just because you have not experienced these problems does not invalidate his. Apple is bog enough to take a little criticism.

THe issue isn't pointing out a problem etc. It's this constant painting of everything as a Design Flaw, a Tragic Error, a Serious Faux Pas etc when the number of affected parties is actually a very small percent (less than 5% in most issues). No software, electronic device etc is perfect with some companies getting a pass on things like a 60% failure rate within the first 4 months of purchase. But because it is Apple, it's huge. Even when it's 1/10th of 1% and the primary cause is some other party like the cell phone carrier having shitty coverage.

Blowing everything Apple way out of proportion has become the Tech version of getting thousands of hits by debating whether the kid in Harry Potter is gay or if those crazy kids in Twilight really are madly in love and even secretly had a kid they are hiding in England with his parents.
  • Reply 62 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I was wondering that, too. And if there was an alarm I depress the volume down button for an instant to mute the device, as has been the case with v3.x on the iPad.

Trying to see it from Apple?s PoV, their reasoning may have to do with changes coming with v5.0 (that have easily been ironed out in the release of the iPad) that will make this toggle switch change make sense next year. Meaning, they are getting everything inline now because sooner rather than later is key with iPads sales growing so quickly. Whilst 10M units sold is a lot, it pales in comparison to the number of units to be sold before v5.0 is released.

No clock/alarm app? What do you mean? on the top 10 utilities the #1 paid app is an alarm clock and there are like four more just on that page between paid and free. Also by the time you press and hold the volume button you have all ready disturbed the whole room.
  • Reply 63 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What alarms? It's an iPad. There's no clock app.

Haha! There an app for that!

There are lots of them you just have to get them from the app store ? with 4.2 they should run in the background, right?
  • Reply 64 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MauiJoe View Post

No clock/alarm app? What do you mean? on the top 10 utilities the #1 paid app is an alarm clock and there are like four more just on that page between paid and free.

You missed Tallest Skil?s point, though it seems you did so intentionally as I can?t imagine his comment would be interpreted to mean that there are no alarm clock apps on the iPad App Store.

The very fact that it?s not a default app on the iPad, but is on the iPhone and iPod Touch is an indication that alarms are a requirement for day-to-day iPad operations. I?ve still downloaded one, yet use the one on my iPhone all the time.

Quote:

Also by the time you press and hold the volume button you have all ready disturbed the whole room.

I can find and press the volume down switch before the toggle switch. First of all, the volume switch is larger, secondly it?s not encumbered by the Apple made iPad case like the toggle switch is. Regardless, the difference in time would be so slight that your argument is invalidated.
  • Reply 65 of 76
    Quote:

The reason I see for the orientation/mute change is related more to alarms and alerts. If it's nap time (all ages included). You switch on your mute for your iPad and iPhone and you know some alert won't wake up the house without ever turning on your device. Same goes for movies or meetings(turn off beeps). This will be more important when alarm and Skype type app are running in the background . If you need orientation lock it is a given that your iPad is on and in use so software button is always there (double click, swipe, tap button)

You just made the point for keeping the orientation lock the way it is. When you mute alarms and alerts you only going to do it once, at the start of the nap, meeting or movie (who is going to take their iPad into a movie?) and then undo it when you are done. So the Double-Tap > Swipe > Tap is no issue. You do it once and forget about it. Whereas I end up resetting the orientation lock several times within a web session and will find the SW method very tedious.

As an example;

I prefer to view Wired.com and MacRumors.com in portrait mode. Their site designs are such that I can zoom in on their text so that I can read it while still maintaining their columns within the iPads screen. While AppleInsider, this site, has one column taking the full page width. The displayed text is to small to read, yet when I zoom in so that I can read the text the lines go off the edge of the screen forcing me to scroll back and forth. Thus I view this site in landscape. (The text is still to small but I can read it, and I do not have to scroll.)

So with your method my web surfing will be:

Display Mac Rumors.

Lock the screen with four actions

Zoom in so that the text is large enough to read.

Continue viewing the site till done.

Display AppleInsider.

Unlock the screen with four actions.

Rotate to Landscape.

Lock the screen with four actions.

Display Wired.com

Rotate to Portrait.

Unlock the screen with four actions when done surfing.

How is replacing the single toggle switch action with Double-Tap > Swipe > Tap actions better? Especially when doing several screen reorientations within one web session? Your alarm muting will only be done at the beginning of a session and again at the end of the session. The SW screen orientation will be a pain in the butt for those using their iPads to read, surf the web and playing games. And a loss of functionality for those who will not be using their iPad as oversized phones.
  • Reply 66 of 76
    Funny I've really only used the lock with iBooks. I never seem to use it surfing the web. Just shows the iPad is something different to everyone.
  • Reply 67 of 76
    Keep in mind, you only EVER have to do this when you're browsing in bed. Which, for most people, is not very often. When you're browsing while sitting up, you don't HAVE to do any of this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

You just made the point for keeping the orientation lock the way it is. When you mute alarms and alerts you only going to do it once, at the start of the nap, meeting or movie (who is going to take their iPad into a movie?) and then undo it when you are done. So the Double-Tap > Swipe > Tap is no issue. You do it once and forget about it. Whereas I end up resetting the orientation lock several times within a web session and will find the SW method very tedious.

As an example;

I prefer to view Wired.com and MacRumors.com in portrait mode. Their site designs are such that I can zoom in on their text so that I can read it while still maintaining their columns within the iPads screen. While AppleInsider, this site, has one column taking the full page width. The displayed text is to small to read, yet when I zoom in so that I can read the text the lines go off the edge of the screen forcing me to scroll back and forth. Thus I view this site in landscape. (The text is still to small but I can read it, and I do not have to scroll.)

So with your method my web surfing will be:

Display Mac Rumors.

Lock the screen with four actions

Zoom in so that the text is large enough to read.

Display AppleInsider.

Rotate to Landscape.

Display Wired.com

Rotate to Portrait.

Unlock the screen with four actions when done surfing.

How is replacing the single toggle switch action with Double-Tap > Swipe > Tap actions better? Especially when doing several screen reorientations within one web session? Your alarm muting will only be done at the beginning of a session and again at the end of the session. The SW screen orientation will be a pain in the butt for those using their iPads to read, surf the web and playing games. And a loss of functionality for those who will not be using their iPad as oversized phones.

• Reply 68 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Showering us with gold... Oh, wait --

Tut tut!
  • Reply 69 of 76
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I use the lock switch all the time. If they're changing it to a useless (for me) mute button I may just stick with 3.x
  • Reply 70 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I use the lock switch all the time. If they're changing it to a useless (for me) mute button I may just stick with 3.x

The software solution works. It works well. It's easy to use.

So instead of adapting to the software solution, you'll give up all the other advantages of the upgrade... mmmkay...

Knock yourself out.
  • Reply 71 of 76
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

This is, without questions, the biggest waste of breath I've ever read an undoubtedly the dumbest apple issue to ever be discussed ad nauseum.

Who cares. I have to take great issue with any who whines about this for more than 5 seconds before moving on.

BY the way, THE FRIGGING SLEEP/WAKE BUTTON, is all you need to mute alarms.
  • Reply 72 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You missed Tallest Skil?s point, though it seems you did so intentionally as I can?t imagine his comment would be interpreted to mean that there are no alarm clock apps on the iPad App Store.

The very fact that it?s not a default app on the iPad, but is on the iPhone and iPod Touch is an indication that alarms are a requirement for day-to-day iPad operations. I?ve still downloaded one, yet use the one on my iPhone all the time.

I can find and press the volume down switch before the toggle switch. First of all, the volume switch is larger, secondly it?s not encumbered by the Apple made iPad case like the toggle switch is. Regardless, the difference in time would be so slight that your argument is invalidated.

My real point has nothing to do with clock apps. My point is that it is more useful to be able to insure your iPad remains silent (or just check to confirm that mute is on or off) with out turning it on than it is to toggle the orientation lock, not only that but you can still silence it quickly the way you described. That function is not going away. Once ipads start getting alerts from thing like game time, the mute switch might seem more useful. Anyway someone at Apple seems to agree with me, so the word invalidated comes across as a little strong, at least to me.

Also if you reread your post you seem to contradict yourself when you say "alarms are a requirement" and "I've still download one". (invalidating your argument )
  • Reply 73 of 76
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

I'm the opposite. I don't think I ever used the lock button except the first morning on the try all the switches routine. I routinely reach for it when going to mute the iPad though, then have to move down to the volume when I don't get the same little shake I get with the iPhone. So for me it will finally work like it feels it should.
  • Reply 74 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Also if you reread your post you seem to contradict yourself when you say "alarms are a requirement" and "I've still download one". (invalidating your argument )

My use of the conjunction ?yet? should have give rise to the statement itself not making sense. It?s clear I accidentally omitted a negative.

" I?ve still [never] downloaded [an alarm app for my iPad], yet use the one on my iPhone all the time.
  • Reply 75 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Keep in mind, you only EVER have to do this when you're browsing in bed. Which, for most people, is not very often. When you're browsing while sitting up, you don't HAVE to do any of this.

I also use it in my lunger. Keep in mind that I do my personal web surfing at home not at work.
  • Reply 76 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Think before you post. Or at least admit you put your foot in it. "Apple figured that out long ago, and is probably a serious contributing factor into why you aren't doing much OS/UI work."

Remove foot from mouth and quit babbling.

Sigh. I'm still waiting for your actual rebuttal, but I'm guessing you can't defend yourself - hence the repetitive deflection.

Why exactly should I be putting my foot in my mouth, because you can't comprehend how the little green button works? Seriously, go back and re-read - because I think your emotions are clogging-up your reasoning bandwidth.

Like I said "you aren't doing much OS/UI work.", those silly feature requests will never appear in OS X Lion, but your tears will make my OS X upgrade all the sweeter. Enjoy, cupcake.