I need help figuring out what computer to buy! Please!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi All,

I have an iBook G4 with 1.42 GHz and 512 MB running on OS X 10.4.11- this computer is OLD! I am so happy how long it has lasted me though

I have saved and am very close to being ready to buy a new mac... I want either a MacBook or a MacBook Pro. I want to spend about $1200. I am flexible with specs, but I want to get as much for my money as I can- getting the newest technology too (I will keep this computer for a long time).

Can someone help me figure out what to buy and WHEN? I don't know if I should wait until Jan/Feb OR if Christmas time will have more options, or if we even know.

I really appreciate any help/advice you could offer. Thank you!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alwazsmle View Post

Hi All,

I have an iBook G4 with 1.42 GHz and 512 MB running on OS X 10.4.11- this computer is OLD! I am so happy how long it has lasted me though

I have saved and am very close to being ready to buy a new mac... I want either a MacBook or a MacBook Pro. I want to spend about $1200. I am flexible with specs, but I want to get as much for my money as I can- getting the newest technology too (I will keep this computer for a long time).

Can someone help me figure out what to buy and WHEN? I don't know if I should wait until Jan/Feb OR if Christmas time will have more options, or if we even know.

I really appreciate any help/advice you could offer. Thank you!

A MacBook, 13,3" screen, is $ 999. An MBP, 13" screen, is $ 1,199.

If $ 1,200 is your max I would go for the MacBook with maxed out RAM. If you can afford a little more I'd get the MBP with maxed out RAM. But that's way over $ 1,200 of course.

Xmas time may have more options, but it'll also have premium pricing!

But do you really need a laptop? Do you schlep that iBook around all the time? If you really only use it as a desktop machine – as many people do – then a laptop is approx. 1.5 times too expensive, a waste of money really, and you would get a much more capable machine for the same price if you opt for a desktop model. E.g. a 21,5" iMac ($ 1,199)!

If you decide – later – you do need portability, then you could get an iPad. It is much more portable than any MacBook, and through 'remote desktop management' (e.g. Teamviewer) you can use the iPad to operate the iMac that's sitting back home, whence you would have all its power at your fingertips wherever you are.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Thank you for responding... That is something I've been considering too... getting a desktop AND an IPad. I really only use at my desk at home. I want the option of moving it around though. Question is, is that worth 1.5 more!? There are rumors of a 7 inch IPad out around Christmas time. What are your thoughts on getting a nice desktop AND the new IPaid (pending it comes out soon) for the $1200 I mentioned before? That really is my max I choose to spend. I need the computer for mostly normal things, web browsing, pictures, watching Hulu, everyday tasks in word and excel. Nothing extraordinary. I don't even know the amounts of ram and other specs that I would need. I am excited to hear there is a way for me to use the Ipad remotely, while using the computer at my desktop. That truly may eliminate my worry about portability. Thanks again!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

A MacBook, 13,3" screen, is $ 999. An MBP, 13" screen, is $ 1,199.

If $ 1,200 is your max I would go for the MacBook with maxed out RAM. If you can afford a little more I'd get the MBP with maxed out RAM. But that's way over $ 1,200 of course.

Xmas time may have more options, but it'll also have premium pricing!

But do you really need a laptop? Do you schlep that iBook around all the time? If you really only use it as a desktop machine ? as many people do ? then a laptop is approx. 1.5 times too expensive, a waste of money really, and you would get a much more capable machine for the same price if you opt for a desktop model. E.g. a 21,5" iMac ($ 1,199)!

If you decide ? later ? you do need portability, then you could get an iPad. It is much more portable than any MacBook, and through 'remote desktop management' (e.g. Teamviewer) you can use the iPad to operate the iMac that's sitting back home, whence you would have all its power at your fingertips wherever you are.

• Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alwazsmle View Post

That is something I've been considering too... getting a desktop AND an IPad. I really only use at my desk at home. I want the option of moving it around though. Question is, is that worth 1.5 more!? There are rumors of a 7 inch IPad out around Christmas time. What are your thoughts on getting a nice desktop AND the new IPaid (pending it comes out soon) for the $1200 I mentioned before? That really is my max I choose to spend.

Impossible. 1,199 + 629 = $ 1,828.

So take it in steps, especially if you say you never really schlep that iBook around: get the iMac first (you'll still have the iBook for portability, won't you?), and maybe an iPad later.

There will be more iPad models later. And much more competition. The market is going to explode. Which will drive prices down fast. I would wait for that if I were you. The combination with an iMac is much more powerful and much more portable than any MacBook Pro...

If you want to work remotely with your home desktop machine you will need all the screen real estate you can get on your iPad (or other tablet). Which means that 7" is not going to cut it. In fact I consider the iPad's current 10" not enough. I plan on waiting for a 12" screen (within the same frame/format).

If you have an iPhone you can already try remotely operating your iBook while it's sitting at home. With Teamviewer (free for personal use). And you will see how important screen real estate is.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    If you have a keyboard, mouse and monitor you can go Mac Mini 2.66Ghz for $849 and then hold on to your $350 and save for an iPad 2. The Mac Mini 2.4Ghz is $699 which would leave you enough for refurb a wireless iPad at $449.

A refurb MacBook 2.4 Ghz is $849.

A refurb iMac 21.5" i3 is $1,019.

A refurb MBP 2.5Ghz i5 is $1,529.

Me, I'd get the cheapest mac option possible and save for the iPad 2.

Without a monitor/keyboard/etc that would be the refurb macbook at $849. For $150 more than the base mini it's a better deal if you need to buy anything else...but that's another $150 you need to save to get an iPad. On the other hand, it's mobile so you can wait longer on the iPad.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    i would get a refurbed macbook, upgrade the HDD to SSD, and if you can, try and upgrade to 4GB. the cpu doesnt make nearly as much of an impact as the SSD will.

4GB (2x2gb) of ram can be had for $60 if you look hard enough

128GB SSD's can be had for $175, again if you look hard enough

even though osx doesnt have trim, it still makes a diffrence
  • Reply 6 of 14
    If you're confused, Macrumors has a guide to tell you when to buy a mac. It tells you when they updated it last, if it was updated recently, and if you should wait: http://goo.gl/y8V3. That should help you.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    There has been mention of an iPad 2. Do you know what the changes will be? When do you expect it to be available?

There was mention of a 12" iPad. Have you heard about that as a fact or just a rumor or your wishful thinking. That would be perfect for me.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

There was mention of a 12" iPad. Have you heard about that as a fact or just a rumor or your wishful thinking. That would be perfect for me.

Pure wishful thinking on my part. But if there's enough demand there's a good chance of it being supplied. So thank you for seconding my motion.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

There has been mention of an iPad 2. Do you know what the changes will be? When do you expect it to be available?

Disregard a 12" iPad. If you want something that small, you'll have to go with a 11" MacBook Air. You can wait, but that probably won't happen. Good luck in waiting!
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matthewmspace View Post

Disregard a 12" iPad. If you want something that small, you'll have to go with a 11" MacBook Air. You can wait, but that probably won't happen. Good luck in waiting!

I'm not sure I understand you. I want something that BIG, not something that "small". I'm interested in a larger iPad. An 11" MacBook Air wouldn't give me what I need and would be twice as much $$.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

I'm not sure I understand you. I want something that BIG, not something that "small". I'm interested in a larger iPad. An 11" MacBook Air wouldn't give me what I need and would be twice as much $$.

Well, Apple thinks their size is find because at their last corporate money meeting, he said bigger and smaller tablets don't work. E-mail jobs yourself and he'll probably give you a one-word answer. Good Luck!
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Well, Apple thinks their size is find because at their last corporate money meeting, he said bigger and smaller tablets don't work. E-mail jobs yourself and he'll probably give you a one-word answer. Good Luck!

Sometimes I think you know what you're talking about.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

I didn't say I didn't understand Jobs. I didn't understand the reasoning in your previous post. It didn't compute.

Your previous quote was NOT in response to mine:

"Disregard a 12" iPad. If you want something that small, you'll have to go with a 11" MacBook Air. You can wait, but that probably won't happen."

I was asking for for an explanation of what you were trying to say. I want something bigger, not something smaller. What was your point?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Get a desktop first. You still have your old iBook for portability.

It's not worth paying more for a laptop when you really use your

computer as a desktop. Then later you can get an iPad 2 which

is rumored to be just around the corner.