Apple promises an unforgettable iTunes announcement coming Tuesday

Comments

• Reply 61 of 261
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shakedown View Post

Maybe Apple will finally start using true lossless on ITunes (like Flac) instead of this MP3 nonsense that has ruined the hearing of a generation - not to mention being inconsistent with their high standards. I have never understood why they have not killed the MP3 when download speeds/storage are a non issue. The difference is day and night when you listen to an MP3/Apple Lossless vs. Flac/Wave.

I know this is a pipe dream but I thought it would be a good time to mention it.

Obviously a FLAC fanboy who doen't have a clue about the other formats.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kohelet View Post

Yes! Hopefully get to stream all my content from Apple's servers! That way I don't need to worry if my media storage disk crashes again! (Luckily iTunes Support was nice and let me redownload all my purchases)

Which would be great until all the internet providers start charging by the MB instead of flat-rate pricing. That day is fast approaching.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielchow View Post

i think it's always fun to try to figure out what apple's marketing is up to with their teasers.

That's a good point. Why would Apple annouce something big at 7 AM California time? The time in London seems to be the "important" time zone relative to the announcement.
  • Reply 62 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

"Tomorrow is just another day. That you'll never forget.”

Hmm.. so if I don’t put certain tracks on my iDevice I’ll still be able to access them, hence never forgetting. Same goes with accessing a web-based version of iTunes away from my iTunes Library.

Right now, you can do that with your home iTunes media with StreamToMe (and others).

I could see Apple offering a streaming service that:

-- included all media purchased (or free) from the iTunes store (no upload required)

-- any media you have acquired outside of Apple sources (upload required)

-- Staging, caching syncing backup of local media.

So, you could use a smaller HDD at home that contains a copy of recently-accessed media -- played or synced to iDevices.

All other content would reside in the cloud -- and be staged on your local HDD when you next access (from any computer or iDevice) it (replacing the least-frequently-used media already there). Just in time to start staging those holiday playlists!

Obviously, the HDD at home should be attached to standalone, green, low-power device instead running on a Mac or PC... Soon!

• Reply 63 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

iTunes 10.1 just came out. iOS 4.2 is rumored to come out tomorrow. Is there something new in that combination hasn't been enabled yet, thus has thus far gone unnoticed?

I know one thing, I wish my company had the marketing clout of Apple. They spend no money at all, they just post something on their home page and people start speculating all over the place, and not just mac sites, it's on CBS news, washington post, etc.

i hear you. apple's creative and pr departments are fun and interesting animals. also, they seem to know how to play with rumor and gossip sites (usually to their advantage). i think its always fun to read between their teasers lines and "leaks".
  • Reply 64 of 261
    Woz appeared to Steve in a dream and instructed him to trade Cook to MSFT for Ballmer straight up.

"Picture yourself in a boat on a river..."
  • Reply 65 of 261
    Cupertino - Starting on Tuesday, November 16, Apple will begin streaming music from their new North Carolina server farm directly to users' brains!

"I'm a beta tester and this is awesome," said NY Times technology reporter, David Pogue. "It still has a few bugs that I've reported. For instance, I've had 'Baby' by Justin Bieber stuck in my head for days!"

Apple CEO, Steven P. Jobs has stated that iTunes Brain is going to start as a music only service but will eventually expand to movies, television shows, and images that emphasize submission to Jobs' will and world domination.

"This is truly an incredible day," Jobs said. "This is really going to change the way you interact with music. And, maybe, start a magical and revolutionary zombie apocalypse."

"There is no need to purchase any new hardware or download any new software," Jobs continued. "Set up is a breeze. After all, we've been in our users' heads for a while."
  • Reply 66 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by utsava View Post

If "that" implies the entire phrase "Tomorrow is just another day", it could make grammatical sense. In other words, you'll never forget that tomorrow is just another day. Not sure that's what Apple is going for, but just saying.

Agreed. We've now reached grammar gridlock.
  • Reply 67 of 261
    It's not The Beatles it's:

Take That

Never Forget

See? Easy.
  • Reply 68 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

They didn't call a press conference so this probably won't be huge. I bet they will just announce the mac app store is activating.

THe Mac OS App Store is not related to iTunes.

That said, I think you are thinking in sort of the right direction.

tomorrow is the release of 4.2. I'll lay odds on it. And very possibly nothing else. A new streaming or subscription service would be worthy of a press release, even if it was just Steve on a web stream from the Campus.

those times are when the 10.1 update is set to pop up that there's new iOS software. Which is why they released 10.1 a few days ago. So folks will have it on their computer to see the alert.
  • Reply 69 of 261
    Quote:

I know this is a pipe dream but I thought it would be a good time to mention it.

Yes, with one comment in four years, you are entitled to mention anything you want!
  • Reply 70 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielchow View Post

i think it's always fun to try to figure out what apple's marketing is up to with their teasers.

Madness had a top ten for several weeks hit "Tomorrow's Just Another Day".
  • Reply 71 of 261
    I'll throw in my vote for wireless sync, however unlikely that may be.
  • Reply 72 of 261
    Quote:

Maybe Apple will finally start using true lossless on ITunes (like Flac) instead of this MP3 nonsense that has ruined the hearing of a generation - not to mention being inconsistent with their high standards. I have never understood why they have not killed the MP3 when download speeds/storage are a non issue. The difference is day and night when you listen to an MP3/Apple Lossless vs. Flac/Wave.

Look like you got things a wee bit wrong way round, but I get what you mean.

Yes MP3 and the iTune AAC format which is marginally better can't be compared to lossless (like ALAC, FLAC, AIFF) on a high end system. It definitely would be nice if Apple gave the end-user the choice to download loseless versions in 16bit 44.1khz (or 24bit at higher sampling rate if we are dreaming! :-) )

Anyway I believe Airplay will be a bigger thing than Airprint will be.

oh ye Ping still sucks.
  • Reply 73 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjs249 View Post

Cupertino - Starting on Tuesday, November 16, Apple will begin streaming music from their new North Carolina server farm directly to users' brains!

Funny. Seriously. I hope it comes from Apple love, not Apple hate. Hope you post more if the former.
  • Reply 74 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uplate View Post

I'll throw in my vote for wireless sync, however unlikely that may be.

yes that would be nice but no brown ipod please
  • Reply 75 of 261
    There has been quite a bit of buzz going on in the business world for the past few months because Sony Corp is up for sale and the asking price is well under half the amount of money Apple usually has available in liquid assets just sitting in savings.

Apple's acquiring Sony would be a boom to all of its divisions, but the first to feel the love would have to be iTunes and the iTunes Music Store. Sony entertainment holdings include the major conglomerate known as Columbia/Tri-Star in the film and video division and that also includes a couple of dozen other major studio brands that are either owned or which they hold the distribution rights to. Then there is the music side of things where you have the huge Sony label, which owns the Michael Jackson catalog, and also owns several major labels like A&M and the distribution rights to several other major labels including some of the major players in key markets like Christian/Gospel music. I believe at one time Sony even owned the golden goose Apple Music, which, of course, if that is true and they still hold that property, would mean that Apple would have finally ended the feud between them and Apple Music, owners of the Beatles catalog.

The announcement of a Sony Acquisition would be a sweet addition that would at least double their content delivery offerings, which not only increases the pleasure for the end user, but means that a whole slew of new users would be drawn over to iTunes, the iTunes Music Store, and the products that receive and manipulate content from them. Not to mention, what a boon to the advertisers that will be if such an announcement could potentially dramatically increase the number of iOS devices out there, ramping up from now through year's end.
  • Reply 76 of 261
    Making a big splash on the page suggests it is not a minor announcement like a revised icon for the iTunes app. Allowing people to buy Beatles albums online for download would be a major announcement.

My guess is The Beatles will be available for download including the mono masters.

ALT

Or the 4.2 iOS update - is this a big deal? What help is 4.2 going to be to users with 2G and 3G iTouches that cannot downgrade to 3.1.3 because Apple won't let them.
  • Reply 77 of 261
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Very interesting.
  • Reply 78 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jb510 View Post

I still think those expecting to be able to put their own music into the cloud are dreaming. This will be for iTunes purchased media only.

Storage cost is irrelevant since Apple only needs to store one copy of the digital asset for millions of users, this isn't your own personal web disk...

I doubt they'll charge for bandwidth eithier. It'll either be free for all purchased content or it will come along via a MobileMe subscription.

Either way... No you are not going to be able to stream music which you ripped from a CD or downloaded from Amazon or downloaded from TPB.

Sure... I hope I'm wrong and Apple allows all this and more, but I'd put very long odds on it.

I'd also hope for something Pandora-ish... Maybe something that allows you to create stations and share them with friends via ping... Nbut again just don't see apple doing something like that which would be hard to monetize.

LaLa allowed you to do this for songs that they had in their library. LaLa would "sync" your library with your LaLa account. From their, you could listen on any device (which was coming soon when Apple bought them, so far as I think they had submitted their app to Apple) or browser. I can see Apple taking this and eliminating the need for a separate app, but part of the iPod player (in iOS 4.2 only, sorry first gen product users like me) and removing the "browser" access and force you to use iTunes.

If this becomes part of MobileMe, that would be great. No price increase would appease those who say they can get what MobileMe provides for free through a combination of other tools, and be about the same as the Napster product. However, I could see a MobileMe (current model) priced at $50/year, and a MobileMe Plus that is current plus streaming at ($150)
  • Reply 79 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Obviously a FLAC fanboy who doen't have a clue about the other formats.

Which would be great until all the internet providers start charging by the MB instead of flat-rate pricing. That day is fast approaching.

That's a good point. Why would Apple annouce something big at 7 AM California time? The time in London seems to be the "important" time zone relative to the announcement.

Could it be an announcement with the BBC, we've been hearing rumours over this side of the pond that iPlayer is going international... AppleTV streaming maybe?
  • Reply 80 of 261
    They might have finally figured a way how to distribute papers and sealed a deal with them. Tomorrow the 'iPapers' store will open with full abonnement possibilities of major newspapers around the globe.