Piper: Expect iTunes cloud, not music subscriptions, from Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I think I'm just missing the point of this cloud stuff. I've got loads of music on my Mac, I chuck a fair amount of that on my iPad and iPhone. I can't forsee a need to have access to the 40gb of music that I own, I just don't see how this would be a major announcement, surely most people wouldn't give a damn...
  • Reply 22 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Most experts agree that Apple almost single-handely defined a new market with the iPhone..

So what's stopping them from doing this w/ tv's? Competition? Market share? Profit margins? All of these Apple has always made it work. Remember, they will charge a premium and people will pay. With that, all other things considered, it doesn't matter. As long as they make money they'll be there. The same thing could be said about laptops. Why would someone pay hundreds more for spec wise, roughly the same? Brand power, quality, looks, etc.. I could go on. I'm not saying I would want one, but again, the possibility is there.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Yes!

What if you had 10 gigs of songs on your iPhone and now you can get rid of them 100% because they are on the cloud. That frees up quite a bit of space for apps and would be a big deal. What if you had a bunch of movies on an iTunes cloud service. That would give you access to all your movies in your iTunes library on your iphone/AppleTV where ever you are in the world.

At home those songs and movies would be on my computer and I can listen to them wirelessly via wifi.

Away from the house I think I would be happy with what I have on my iPhone/iPad.

I would MUCH prefer a subscription service that matches what the Zune subscription gives me now; access to any song on the ENTIRE marketplace (versus just the 10GB I own) - which I can download to my system and device - each month PLUS 10 songs to keep each month.

That equates to 10 $1.00 songs and unlimited music. WHY can't Apple give us something similar?

This cloud/anytime access will require a hefty data plan or a reliance on finding a wifi hotspot. I neither want the expensive data plan or the need to find a Starbucks, etc. just to listen to my music floating on a cloud.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

thank you for your GUESS, mr. "analyst".

and thank you for your sarcasm. Not sure we could have done without it!
  • Reply 25 of 64
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drewyboy View Post

Yeah, it is a cell phone. I've heard of those before. Last I checked, it was a pretty mature market before Apple entered it. But I'm sure you'll say, iPhone started the modern smartphone market, which in my reply I say, then Apple television will be a "smart" tv. Kind of like how the current internet tv's are pretty half put together, just like smart phones were before iPhone. I think you've got to realize anything is a possibility with apple. Never say never with them. Jobs is crazy man... crazy.

Sorry, but I can't have a conversation with someone who is going to change their entire post after it's been replied to..

The above message resembles nothing of what I commented on..

EDIT: I apologize.. Wrong user... Woops..
  • Reply 26 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drewyboy View Post

So what's stopping them from doing this w/ tv's? Competition? Market share? Profit margins? All of these Apple has always made it work. Remember, they will charge a premium and people will pay. With that, all other things considered, it doesn't matter. As long as they make money they'll be there. The same thing could be said about laptops. Why would someone pay hundreds more for spec wise, roughly the same? Brand power, quality, looks, etc.. I could go on. I'm not saying I would want one, but again, the possibility is there.

Sure, it's possible they could re-define the flatscreen market as well, although I'm doubtful.. It is already an extremely competitive space with low margins and there is not much innovation to be done with screen technology..

Where Apple can innovate is in the delivery of traditional TV, and *that* they are doing already with Apple TV... EDIT: and their streaming services..
  • Reply 27 of 64
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:

Last i checked an iPhone wasn't considered a television.

you said "Do people still not understand that Apple doesn't enter into mature markets? "

i can't believe i have to explain this, but the Cell phone market was 35 years old when the iPhone was introduced.
  • Reply 28 of 64
    Quote:

you said "Do people still not understand that Apple doesn't enter into mature markets? "

i can't believe i have to explain this, but the Cell phone market was 35 years old when the iPhone was introduced.

Yep and the iPhone isn't a cell phone. A Motorola RAZR was a cell phone.. The iPhone was/is a new class of handheld computer. An entirely new market.. Did you not read my reply?
  • Reply 29 of 64
    definitely cloud storage.

"never forget" ... as in never lose data... because it's not stored locally.

ahh, over analyzing apple messages.
  • Reply 30 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Grouping the smartphone market segment in with the base cellphone market in regarding to maturity, and then using a 4 decade old time frame, is akin to saying the cellphone market was mature 40 years ago because phones were commonplace for many decades before it.

Apple only entered the smartphone market, not the entire cellphone market, and they did it from using the tools and skills they had mastered from their other areas of business in an expected growth pattern that made many of us wonder why they hadn’t done it sooner. On top of that, they redefined the smartphone market with something smarter which could be defined as making them the first to this new market.

The TV market offers none of those benefits to Apple. The margins are too small, the number of unit types needed interferes with Apple’s “boutique”-like setup. They can’t even get around the content owners, networks, cable or satellite companies. Hell, even Google is having issues when trying to help users find their content. Worst of all, Apple doesn’t make monitors, they’d still have to compete with those that do with a product that serves no benefit expect to placate some users who don’t want to have a very small black box next to their TV. an Apple HDTV is fail on every level.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    The day they start offering live network TV sports, news through iTunes, that would be unforgettable.
  • Reply 32 of 64
    Quote:

Sure, it's possible they could re-define the flatscreen market as well, although I'm doubtful.. It is already an extremely competitive space with low margins and there is not much innovation to be done with screen technology..

Where Apple can innovate is in the delivery of traditional TV, and *that* they are doing already with Apple TV... EDIT: and their streaming services..

I'm not an apple genius, no pun intended, but I could possibly see them basically offering 27" apple monitor w/ atv built in w/ some "tv" ports (hdmi, coax, digital audio out, etc). So I can see it happening, but again, personally, I'm still on the side that it seems too far a stretch from apple core business. At least at this point, I think they probably have other pressing issues to attend to before they bring a tv to the market, if they do. Remember, ecosystems is what Apple loves.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Not a chance.. Do people still not understand that Apple doesn't enter into mature markets? Connectivity to televisions (Apple TV) = Yes.. Televisions themselves =NO.

Internet-connected televisions are far from a mature market. People will continue to say that Apple will never make an actual TV, then eventually, Apple will make a TV. I must admit I thought they'd have made one by now, but perhaps Apple are waiting to get some kind of all-you-can-eat contract from the studios, i.e. a subscription-TV service, before they are going to get into the TV game. We'll see…

Never say never.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

definitely cloud storage.

"never forget" ... as in never lose data... because it's not stored locally.

ahh, over analyzing apple messages.

I use Orb successfully and do not need cloud based music. Unless Apple can do something about the exorbitant fees that I pay to stream music from Orb to my iPad when I am 4,000 miles from home, I'm not that deeply interested. On the other hand, if they announce an all you can eat. I'll subscribe within minutes of availability. My consumption of music, always great has multiplied because of iTunes!

And I am someone who has always said that if Apple made a toaster I would buy it.
  • Reply 35 of 64
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celco View Post

check out the logo on this blog for an apple employee...

http://blog.cocoia.com/2010/updates/

Cloud service here we come I think.

• Reply 36 of 64
    Quote:

Apple's sold billions and billions of songs in the past few years.. So i'd have to respectfully disagree with your analysis..

Well, don't take my word for it. Visit CNN for a peak.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/02/02/news...usic_industry/

The music industry raked in over 14 billion dollars in 1999*. It has been in a death spiral ever since. 2009 sales clocked in at just over 6 billion. Account for inflation over 10 years on top of losing more than half your sales and I would say that qualifies as a dying industry.

*corrected from 2000
  • Reply 37 of 64
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    That is not true. Apple enters mature markets that are stagnant and where it thinks it can add value. I can see Apple entering the television market if it thinks it can add something desirable.

Quote:

Not a chance.. Do people still not understand that Apple doesn't enter into mature markets? Connectivity to televisions (Apple TV) = Yes.. Televisions themselves =NO.

• Reply 38 of 64
    Quote:

Yeah, but the smart phone market was still pretty immature, all things considered. I know they're just a branch in the cell phone market, but it's not like Apple just made another cell phone that also stored a bit of music on it.
  • Reply 39 of 64
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:

...when the iPhone was introduced in 2007, it was a new type of device.. Sure it had a phone capabilities attached to it, but the iPhone was/is a handheld computer with internet capabilities that didn't exist before it.. The smartphone market wasn't mature then and still isn't mature today.. Most experts agree that Apple almost single-handely defined a new market with the iPhone..

Thanks, You have a good day as well

i'm pretty sure [and by pretty sure, i mean abso-friggin-lutely positive] that there were phones that were handheld computers with internet capabilities that existed before the iPhone. let's refer to them as "smartphones" - maybe that term will catch on.

...do you want me to post the slide of these "smartphones" that Steve Jobs used to show the competition when he introduced the iPhone?
  • Reply 40 of 64
    Hmmmm. . . Netflix stock down today! Coincidence?