WSJ: Apple to announce arrival of Beatles catalog on iTunes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Sort of not the point, though. Is it? If they want to tells us The Beatles are on iTunes, just do it. Don't yank our chain in the process. Any Beatles albums fans desperately want, they already have, iTunes or no iTunes. The Beatles, who incidentally, broke up in 1970. 40 years ago.

Right, but this is a very low key kind of announcement so I am expecting a rather low wattage announcement. And it seems like 40 years since we started talking about the Beatles not being on iTunes; it has become rather the unicorn of music--much discussed but never seen.

The point is not that you can't get digital copies, you just can't get them with the elegance and convenience of the iTMS.

As for relevance, Cole Porter, George Gershwin, and hell, Mozart all died a long time ago but they are still listened to and enjoyed by many. Great music never gets old. (Oh, and there are people who think they are overrated too)
  • Reply 22 of 90
    "Too little too late" agreed here also. It'll help keep the Beatles from disappearing, but that's about it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Beatles have long resisted digital music, instead opting to re-release albums on physical mediums.

What vision. Can I still get your albums on 8-track?
  • Reply 23 of 90
    Quote:

If this is just The Beatles on iTunes it's safe to say we can all ignore Apple.com hints from now on.

This is a big deal to us old Farts. I'm happy for Steve Jobs, he has been working this deal for years. The band is legendary and iconic ... and not having them in the iTunes collection made it very incomplete. Not sure if they will sell alot because they are entering the game 8 years after the fact and many of us just ripped the cd's to itunes.
  • Reply 24 of 90
    Apparently, the Beatles are a rock band from my parents time. They used to be very big. Maybe I should listen to them . . . OR NOT!

Who would care?
  • Reply 25 of 90
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:

Anything owned by that Australian, no offense to Australians meant, is nothing, in my book. That guy is nothing more than a wrinkly old shit-bag. They do get scoops though. Directly from Apple.

Sorry for you guys but he's no longer Australian (yeah for us!) he's American, carries a USA passport, no longer has an Aussie one. OK?
  • Reply 26 of 90
    Quote:

Anything owned by that Australian, no offense to Australians meant, is nothing, in my book. That guy is nothing more than a wrinkly old shit-bag. They do get scoops though. Directly from Apple.

Perhaps, but like it or not, the WSJ is one of very few national publication that is actually increasing circulation. Your right, it's common knowledge that Apple leaks to them and NYTs frequently.
  • Reply 27 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElectroTech View Post

Apparently, the Beatles are a rock band from my parents time. They used to be very big. Maybe I should listen to them . . . OR NOT!

Who would care?

Right, anything that happened before you were old enough to care is irrelevant.
  • Reply 28 of 90
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    It doesn't really matter who here likes or dislikes The Beatles..

The fact is that their sales are consistent and well documented and their catalog is a goldmine.. Cumulatively they've sold almost 1.5 billion albums in the past 30 years and they still regularly sell millions of albums per year..

They even top most current artist album sales..
  • Reply 29 of 90
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    The living Beatles, aren't getting any younger, maybe they want to try and get some money while they can, for their kids
  • Reply 30 of 90
    Dot Dot what a girl I got. When we shower together, we don't have to turn on hot.
  • Reply 31 of 90
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    yay! finally! i know it's gonna be oingo boingo! they have a song "just another day", so ...
  • Reply 32 of 90
    If it really does have to do with the Beatles, then yes it will be a day I won't forget. Disappointment... I could care less about any of their songs. Maybe some do, but I don't. My parents might, but they haven't bought any music in years. Literally.
  • Reply 33 of 90
    Reading all your posts...

Everyone is so f'ing negative about EVERYTHING!!!!!!

If it's this, you'll be disappointed, if it's 'that' then Apple should have done it years ago, blah blah blah.

What a bunch of cry babies.
  • Reply 34 of 90
    Quote:

Sort of not the point, though. Is it? If they want to tells us The Beatles are on iTunes, just do it. Don't yank our chain in the process. Any Beatles albums fans desperately want, they already have, iTunes or no iTunes. The Beatles, who incidentally, broke up in 1970. 40 years ago.

i think getting the beatles for itunes means a lot to steve and he really doesn't care about the pathetic apple fans who don't get it.
  • Reply 35 of 90
    I will believe when I see it, not before! Beside us Gen X people really despise those Baby Boomers.
  • Reply 36 of 90
    Quote:

Mac OS X Lion. I want window-zoom changed to "fullscreen" button. I want decent native mouse-tracking software...

Dude. The zoom buttons and superb mouse tracking are two of the BEST features of OSX. If you want pointless fullscreen zoom and crappy hyper-sensitive mouse tracking, buy a Windoze machine.
  • Reply 37 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElectroTech View Post

Who would care?

ha ha ha. losers like you think that owning a apple product somehow means you 'matter'. guess what? you don't.
  • Reply 38 of 90
    Finally, we get AC/DC. That's the Event.
  • Reply 39 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

It can't just be the Beatles, can it? Is their tagline a play on words?

iTunes in the sky...with diamonds. Cloud based iTunes?

iTunes has lost movie revenue from me since I switched to Netflix. Can't Apple offer the same, but better?

Throw in the iPad OS update and it starts to get interesting.

aah, the poor sad people who can't get over that steve might not introduce a shiny new aluminum dild* for idiots to purchase?
  • Reply 40 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I love - absolutely love music, but I could not care less whether the Beatles were on the iTunes store or not.

I'm kinda excited about what may be revealed tomorrow... If it has anything to do with the Beatles though, I will be thoroughly let down.

Unless you can actually buy Yoko. That would be fun.