Apple on pace to sell as many as 4.3M Macs over holidays

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
New retail sales data shows that Mac sales are up 20 percent year over year, putting Apple on pace to sell between 4.1 million and 4.3 million computers over the holidays.

Domestic sales figures for the month of October were released by the NPD Group on Monday. Analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray noted that the new MacBook Air notebooks were not released until later in the month, so he expects November sales to skew higher, when a full month of sales are included.

Munster said the numbers for October show Apple will sell between 4.1 million and 4.3 million Macs over the holidays, which is about in line with Wall Street expectations of 4.2 million.

"This early data, along with our assumptions for international Mac sales, which are growing faster than domestic Mac sales, and the final 2 months of the quarter, implies (year over year) Mac unit growth of 22%-28%, in line with the Street at about 24% y/y growth," Munster wrote.

The numbers show Apple on pace to have yet another record breaking quarter for Mac sales. In the previous September quarter, Apple sold 3.89 million Macs, which represents the company's best-ever three-month frame.

NPD figures also suggest Apple will sell between 18.5 million and 19.5 million iPods in the December quarter, also in line with Wall Street expectations of about 19 million. Sales were down 6 percent year-over-year in October.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    First ...

... and I have no life
  • Reply 2 of 13
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I believe the last sentence should read "calendar year".

If Apple gets to the point of selling 19 million Macs in the December quarter, the computer industry will have changed a lot.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    It's pretty hard to care about this or any other story when I am so interested in finding out what apple has for us tomorrow.

Although I would like to know how many airs have been sold so far.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

If Apple gets to the point of selling 19 million Macs in the December quarter, the computer industry will have changed a lot.

I wonder what percentage that is of world wide computer PC sales?

?10%? and what will that be year over year?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

I wonder what percentage that is of world wide computer PC sales?

?10%? and what will that be year over year?

Not too sure, but I just bought a new i5 iMac and a few of my colleagues have purchased different types of Macs in the last month under my recommendation so I'm doing my bit for international sales! Lol
  • Reply 6 of 13
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The last paragraph was about iPods, not Macs. (Unless it was a typo that AI updated after you read the story.)
  • Reply 7 of 13
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Only 4.3M? I'm expecting another half million.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think you are correct. I suspect there is a tidal wave approaching in Mac sales. My wife's company's head of IT just told me he is a new convert and has a new MBP and an iPad and is loving using FCExpress. You know the tide is turning when heads of IT departments buy personal Apple equipment. It is also noticeable how much more support for Macs in the company is evident recently.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Add my brand new 13" top-of-the-line MBA to that count! WooHoo!

Received it a couple days ago. I am so impressed by the performance in general compared to my 1st-gen MBA. People can smack all they want about the Core2Duo but running it with my VMware/XP setup is borderline instantaneous.

I'm sure the new MBA's will certainly contribute greatly in that count!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    I did my part this quarter with a 27" i7 iMac.

It's the nicest mac I've owned to date, and I've been buying macs since the SE.

Sheldon
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I think you are correct. I suspect there is a tidal wave approaching in Mac sales. My wife's company's head of IT just told me he is a new convert and has a new MBP and an iPad and is loving using FCExpress. You know the tide is turning when heads of IT departments buy personal Apple equipment. It is also noticeable how much more support for Macs in the company is evident recently.

My neighbour, it for a school dept, found an old mini, took it home, moans about Windows now, been using the tiny slow, underpowered mini for 18 months, better than Windows.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    The Mac is the sleeper profitable growth opportunity for Apple. The rest of the world is barely getting started on the platform.

It is the core.

The rest we've been hearing of late - streaming, cloud, Beatles, iTunes, Ping, blah, blah - is just silly noise. (Oh, the biggies: iPod's flat, iPhone will slow in a couple of years, and while iPad will continue to grow it squeezes Apple's margins somewhat.)
  • Reply 13 of 13
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    The awesome MacBook Air is leading the way. Soon all the MacBooks will follow its lead.