Firewall problem with OS 10.6.5 between Itunes and Apple TV

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Another problem I have had since installing10.6.5 relates to Itunes and Apple TV.

When I start tunes it always asks me if I want to allow incoming access.

When I try and synch to Apple TV it tells me I ned to open port 3689.

There are many posts on support forums about these issue with previous OS releases but I have been lucky.

Among the fixes suggested are;

1. Remove Itunes from list of applications allowed through firewall and then re add.

2. Use Disk Utility to fix Permissions on the hard drive.

3 Reset Pram using Cmd Opt PR at startup

Have done all these things but still get the problem.

Anyone else getting this ??

Any more ideas to fix it ??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Are you saying yes when iTunes asks to allow incoming access?

This behavior started awhile back (pre iTunes 10) and is still with us. i say yes all the time and do not have a problem with the Apple TV.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I have this same problem. I think I may have hit Deny the first time iTunes asked to allow incoming connections. Then each time after that I've hit Allow and entered my admin name and password. But every time I restart iTunes it still asks me again. I went into the Firewall settings and verified that iTunes does indeed accept incoming connections. But I just keep getting that pop-up asking me.

I'm going to be setting up my brand new Apple TV this weekend and hope I have no problems with that.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Yes we have the same issue.

Every time I start ITunes it requires an Admin ID login.

Also every time I try and synch photos to ATV, I get error messages about ports on firewalls.

For me this only occurred with implementation of 10.6.5

However having checked on the ATV it does look like the synch is actually taking place.

So I guess just a minor annoyance.

Given the new ATV box am guessing this will not be fixed unless of course it also applies to the new box.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Yes we have the same issue. But i found the fix for it.

Just download the itunes again and install it over your current 10.1 version and the problem will go away.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Thanks followed your advice and downloaded Itunes again. far so good.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graham Reeves View Post

Another problem I have had since installing10.6.5 relates to Itunes and Apple TV.

When I start tunes it always asks me if I want to allow incoming access.

When I try and synch to Apple TV it tells me I ned to open port 3689.

There are many posts on support forums about these issue with previous OS releases but I have been lucky.

Among the fixes suggested are;

1. Remove Itunes from list of applications allowed through firewall and then re add.

2. Use Disk Utility to fix Permissions on the hard drive.

3 Reset Pram using Cmd Opt PR at startup

Have done all these things but still get the problem.

Anyone else getting this ??

Any more ideas to fix it ??

why dont you just disable your firewall? or just change it to more reasonable one.

for mac i would recommend http://www.protemac.com/netmine/