The Beatles catalog comes to Apple's iTunes

Comments

• Reply 161 of 377
    I find it kinda sad that so many people feel so compelled to boo hoo this. Just watch that video and see the joy that this band brought and still brings to so many people. Sure, it doesn't personally bring me any benefit. I have every album, most in multiple different masterings and remasterings (ie original mono, remastered mono, stereo, remastered stereo, etc), in apple lossless. However, you're insane if you don't think this will help spread the Beatles even more.

People said that Beatles 1 wouldn't do anything because everybody who wanted those songs already had them, and you could go out and buy the red and blue albums if you wanted. Look at how well Beatles 1 sold. It brought The Beatles to a whole new generation, a generation where single cds were the way you took music in.

This brings The Beatles to the generation of download only. I find it hilarious that a lot of apple fanboys keep going on and on about how you could "just go to walmart or best buy and buy the CD and then rip it". That's a "Microsoft solution" to the problem, taking hours of time, gas and dealing with a retail store, especially if you only want certain songs. The whole thing with iTunes is how easily and seamlessly it all works. I guarantee you that more kids, teenagers and even adults will listen to The Beatles because of this, and a lot of people will be happier in life because of it.
  • Reply 162 of 377
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

They put on a press conference for this? It might be the Beetles (for those are are big fans which I'm not) but this isn't all by itself news. This is a rider for something actually exciting.

Where the hell did you hear or see that they held a press conference.?
  • Reply 163 of 377
    cbswecbswe Posts: 116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

So relative to the HISTORY OF MUSIC, this is a big deal. There's no denying that.

But relative to the economy of the digital revolution we are in today... it's small potatoes.

Let's keep things in perspective.

Thompson

I agree with you. However Apple is not only about digital revolution, they're also a lot about the cultural stuff.

So I'm not very surprised they've put so much emphasis on it.
  • Reply 164 of 377
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

Yeah still don't get it... the Beatles were pretty much the only band left in the world that wasn't offered up already. It's like showing up at the very end and claiming you were in on the success of the event. The Beatles have no claim here... the digital world was moving along with or without them.

In case I'm more than mildly retarded...what exactly did this change? How will this impact other songs on Itunes? Jobs would have been better off with a 'Mission Accomplished' banner hanging over him 'superimposed' into the album cover.

What it does is close a giant hole in the entire concept of digital delivery. How can one maintain that digital downloads is the future of recorded music when the biggest selling group of all time was not part of it? While I agree with those who feel that fans have bought the CDs anyway (but that's true about 95% of what's on iTunes), as per my other post, there are those who will never again buy a CD. For them, the Beatles on iTunes is important. Not as important as the economy or world peace or the environment, but important. And certainly far more important (IMO) than how most people use either Facebook or Twitter.
  • Reply 165 of 377
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    No wireless. Less space than a Nomad. Lame.

Oh, wait.
  • Reply 166 of 377
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) My reply posed a question was really an answer to those who are buying the iTS box set, as I figured your response pretty much excluded you from ever buying an album on iTS.

2) I?d doubt all but some amazing few people with some amazing equipment could hear the difference between a rippedCD at 320kbps or iTS at 256kbps AAC. The only way I could see decent equipment and decent ears noticing a difference is with better than CD quality audio. Like from the failed SACD.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . CD . . . . . . SACD

. . . . . . Format: . 16 bit PCM . . . 1 bit DSD

Sampling frequency: . 44.1 kHz . . . . 2.8224 MHz

. . .Dynamic range: . 96 dB . . . . . .120 dB[1]

. .Frequency range: . 20 Hz ? 20 kHz . 20 Hz ? 50 kHz

. . .Disc capacity: . 700 MB . . . . . 7.95 GB

.Discrete surround: . No . . . . . . ..Yes

#1) For the most part, you're probably right. Though, I do buy the occasional album or song from iTunes. However, when they were still 128k files, I wouldn't buy any.

#2) I used to work with high-end audio gear a few years back and there were many occasions where you could here the various differences between systems. However, the equipment didn't have to be as high-end as some would think it would need to be to pick up subtle differences. In any case, you are right, I think most would be hard pressed to hear the difference between the 256k and 320k version. For me, I just like having the higher bit-rate version. Drive space is not an issue and I don't mind managing the music on my iDevices to accommodate the larger file sizes.
  • Reply 167 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

I agree with you. However Apple is not only about digital revolution, they're also a lot about the cultural stuff.

So I'm not very surprised they've put so much emphasis on it.

Nineteen (19) words?
  • Reply 168 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

It will be very interesting to see what the Beatles iTunes sales will be. Given that everyone already has all their music ripped in iTunes, rationally, it should be pretty close to nil.

People said this about The Beatles 1. People said this about the recent remastered box sets.

Those people were wrong.

I don't see any reason to think this trend of people predicting new releases of The Beatles material will flop being incredibly wrong won't continue.
  • Reply 169 of 377
    This is their big announcement?!

GIVE. ME. A. BREAK.

Who cares?!??!?!?

• Reply 170 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

You essentially just called the entire concept of the ITMS irrelevant and I am fairly certain there is not a single person working in any aspect of the music industry that would agree with you.

Exactly
  • Reply 171 of 377
    cbswecbswe Posts: 116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Nineteen (19) words?

I'm not sure I'm following you..
  • Reply 172 of 377
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Honestly for me, this is pretty big. I do have most of the Beatles stuff -- on LP. The problem is, I haven't had a working turntable in a few years. And sure, I will eventually try and find one that's both good and affordable.

But given my living situation right now, I would rather click one button and have everything. It makes sense. It's simple. And I live far more "digitally" these days, obviously, anyways.

But beyond all of that, this IS a big deal for Apple. Over time, this will really pay off, I think.
  • Reply 173 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

So this is their big announcement?! This is what caused so much speculation and excitement? A popular band finally comes to iTunes and they deem it worthy of their websites front page?.. WTF

Don?t get me wrong the Beatles are great and all, but I think Steve Jobs classes them as way more important than they are to Apple?s bottom line, it?s not like Apple even makes much money out of selling music.

Now how about announcing something good like the rest of the world finally gets all of the TV shows and movies that the American customers gets at the same price (fat chance)?. Now that would be big or something like the Apple TV gets an app store!

yes, having access to all the sh*t tv shows is important for the trailer dwellers.
  • Reply 174 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Why would I pay Apple $149 for the Beatles Box set when I can get the CD box set from Amazon for $129.99?

Meh

Yes, why would you pay Apple £z.zz to buy XXX from The YYY's when you can get the CD from Amazon for £z.zz - £2?

Search me ... I guess the entire iTunes music store concept won't be going anywhere.

Oh ... hold on a minute
  • Reply 175 of 377
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

In any case, you are right, I think most would be hard pressed to hear the difference between the 256k and 320k version. For me, I just like having the higher bit-rate version. Drive space is not an issue and I don't mind managing the music on my iDevices to accommodate the larger file sizes.

Have you considered ripping as ALAC or FLAC as backup files? Drive space is cheap and having a lossless copy is the best option for backing up. Of course, if you plan to also keep your CDs, that makes keeping such a copy less important.
  • Reply 176 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

I'm not sure I'm following you..

The original announcement was only composed of 19 words. And only on their web site. There was no press release or press conference.

Just how did you conclude, "…I'm not very surprised they've [Apple] put so much emphasis on it?"

Or were you referring to something else?
  • Reply 177 of 377
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Yes, saying that it is a day "you will never forget" is certainly hype. Exactly as I described, "one sentence of hype".

When Apple feeds the hype by being purposefully ambiguous and building suspense, it is only reasonable to comment on that hype. If Apple had merely announced "Beatles - Now available on the iTunes Store", you wouldn't be reading about reactions to a "day you will never forget".

Apple's advertising was clearly designed to build hype by getting people to talk about what that one sentence was referring to. And yes, we're talking about that one sentence of hype.

There were several clues in their message and they made it fun. Damn them for being good at marketing..

The real problem is people that over-invest themselves in forthcoming Apple announcements. It is Ok to be interested in seeing whats coming, maybe even a little excited. Getting angry because every announcement from a massive corporation does not appeal to you personally is sick and sad.
  • Reply 178 of 377
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I saw this on CNET ... sorry if it's already been posted here. Weird that it is time limited so drastically or is this BS?

"The digital content is exclusive to iTunes, a representative of The Beatles' record company, EMI, told CNET. The exact length of that deal is unknown, but it will expire some time next year."

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20...#ixzz15SxMRfHt
  • Reply 179 of 377
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

Yes, why would you pay Apple £z.zz to buy XXX from The YYY's when you can get the CD from Amazon for £z.zz - £2?

Search me ... I guess the entire iTunes music store concept won't be going anywhere.

Oh ... hold on a minute

That's not what I was saying. I obviously realize the iTMS is highly successful. I was just pointing out that the CD box set represents a compelling alternative in this particular instance.
  • Reply 180 of 377
    A memorable day for Steve Jobs. Another obsession that he can lay to rest.

Don't get me wrong i respect the Beatles for their massive contribution to music but today was all about SJ.

Now get iOS 4.2 out to us pronto!! Please!