Google's Android racing against Apple's iOS to deliver tap-to-buy features

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

They are? Then why is my daughter's new Motorola phone (5 months old) still stuck on Android 1.5 - with no signs of anything newer and even Motorola doesn't promise that it will ever run 2.2?

Are you talking about the Backflip? She can have it up to 2.1 at the moment.

http://www.motorola.com/Support/US-E...re_Update_Page

But does her phone really need 2.2?
  • Reply 22 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

It might seem like the same thing at first but there is an important distinction.

If someone has all of your bank account details they can go an buy themselves a $5000 TV, or clear out your account, or in the worst case, steal your identity.

If all can they access if your iTunes account the worst they can do is make iTunes purchases online or more low-cost RFID purchases.

This technology will never be used for iTunes purchases or other online purchases because the RFID requires proximity. Your phone has to be a few hundred feet from the cashier for this to work.

I believe this will be used big time at Gas Stations and Retail stores, and even the Apple Store in your city. You are assuming this will flow thru iTunes accounts, which is possible. It is also possible and likely for it to flow through your bank accounts. Either way I can go to a automobile dealership who has the RFID capability and buy a $50,000 car with the phone so long as i have the credit limit (credit card) or enough money in the bank (debit card). So it's a bit scary to be out on the cutting edge of this. And yes, I believe you will be able to go to Best Buy and purchase a $5000 TV with the phone as early as next July assuming the banks and credit card companies get on board. I think that the whole point of this technology is to purchase items anywhere with your phone with no debit or credit card required. I'm not saying i would never do it. I am just saying I wont be the first. I'll probably wait until we are a couple years into this technology.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Not_Sure View Post

Dude, this technology has been used in the US for at least the past five years. Have you heard of pay pass from mastercard?

http://www.paypass.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PayPass#PayPass

Not to mention how long it has been in use in Japan. It's amazing how afraid some Americans are of these types of technology (I was until I moved to Europe). I guess the difference is that here in Denmark (the only place in Europe where I know this is a fact), the banks actually protect you against theft and fraudulent charges. Essentially every place where you can handle a money exchange you can use a credit card (though those special ones with the chip). Net banking is also so integrated into society that there is almost no reason to even go to a branch.

Not the same thing! Phones have access to the internet and wireless networks and can be hacked. It's not like i'm swiping a card at a gas station pump.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

This update will require hardware, so all current apple and google os phones will not work. Apple will probably have this available next July. So the question is, can HTC or Motorola or whoever get it out that much quicker. I really don't care. I don't think i want a version 1.0 transaction phone be it iOS or Android. We're talking bank accounts here. Spooky stuff if they don't get it right.

Maybe I'm getting old but this feature doesn't interest me even a tiny bit. I really don't want my phone being my purchasing power, it is far more likely to be left somewhere than my wallet & if I ever need it repaired or replaced I can't imagine that will be hassle free. I really think this whole craze to make spending money easier is ridiculous, most people really need spending to be a little harder as the average American lives paycheck to paycheck and many have tens of thousands of dollars in debt.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Maybe I'm getting old but this feature doesn't interest me even a tiny bit. I really don't want my phone being my purchasing power, it is far more likely to be left somewhere than my wallet & if I ever need it repaired or replaced I can't imagine that will be hassle free. I really think this whole craze to make spending money easier is ridiculous, most people really need spending to be a little harder as the average American lives paycheck to paycheck and many have tens of thousands of dollars in debt.

I agree. And your point about security risks of leaving your phone somewhere to be repaired is a good one.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    What Apple should do (if they aren't already doing it) is "leak" all sorts of completely fantastic stuff about all kinds of crazy features that will be, "added to the iPhone." Then they can sit back and have a good laugh at Eric's expense while Google goes crazy trying to stuff all that into Android. It'll be even more fun if Apple patents these things as much as possible before they "leak" it.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

What Apple should do (if they aren't already doing it) is "leak" all sorts of completely fantastic stuff about all kinds of crazy features that will be, "added to the iPhone." Then they can sit back and have a good laugh at Eric's expense while Google goes crazy trying to stuff all that into Android. It'll be even more fun if Apple patents these things as much as possible before they "leak" it.

Pretty sure they already do this sort of thing. Seems that is why we see ho many 7" tablets being developed/released, after months of 'leaks' about a 7" iPad.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Pretty sure they already do this sort of thing. Seems that is why we see ho many 7" tablets being developed/released, after months of 'leaks' about a 7" iPad.

The Tablet That Never Was?
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Quote:

As you saying that Apple should leak all these features as a distraction only for Google (readL not plan to implement them themselves)? The downside of this "plan" is what if the Google engineers weed out the truly fantastic and actually do figure out a way of implementing the rest in Android in a timely fashion? And then use that as inspiration for additional features? Apple will then have no choice but to implement it in iOS too or it'll look "behind the times".

No, it's much safer for Apple to hold its hand and show it when it's needed.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

As you saying that Apple should leak all these features as a distraction only for Google (readL not plan to implement them themselves)? The downside of this "plan" is what if the Google engineers weed out the truly fantastic and actually do figure out a way of implementing the rest in Android in a timely fashion? ...

Uhm, they wouldn't actually "leak" the "truly fantastic" features.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

You're life is being sucked into Google even if you're not using their products; every time you load a page which has their ads or analytics (which is a huge percentage of all sites!), the big G is tracking you, my friend.

<snip>

And you don't really need to use google search either. Check out other options, like Ixquick, they're pretty good. If you do insist on searching w/google, use Firefox and the "Google Sharing" plugin.

Just like "safe sex" we should all promote "safe search". Enjoy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Or just go to http://www.google.com/privacy_ads.html and they tell you how to opt out.

You're joking, right? This doesn't opt you out of any data collection, aggregation, disaggregation, etc. The only thing it opts you out of is receiving ads specifically targeted to you, based on your Google profile. It's terribly misleading to the masses of naive users.

The irony of encouraging users to explicitly allow a tracking cookie for the purposes of not being tracked would be extremely entertaining if it weren't so evil.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Is this the same as using GoogleSharing or is it still collecting my data but not using it YET?

Bingo, you get the prize. They still create incredibly detailed profiles of you, but you don't get the targeted ads. It's almost like getting the worst of all worlds (if you do actually buy stuff that you find through google ads)

Quote:

When you opt out, it works like Street View: they collect your data "inadvertently".

Trusting Google to not track you is the proverbial fox guarding the hen house.

When you opt out "they collect your data inadvertently". Hahaha, that's a great one, thanks for the laugh!

And the fox/henhouse is exactly right.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:

This technology will never be used for iTunes purchases or other online purchases because the RFID requires proximity. Your phone has to be a few hundred feet from the cashier for this to work.

No, it won't. For commercial readers the chip needs to be within a couple of inches.

Quote:

I believe this will be used big time at Gas Stations and Retail stores, and even the Apple Store in your city.

And to buy your newspaper, your morning coffee, catch a bus etc. Things that people usually use cash for.

Quote:

You are assuming this will flow thru iTunes accounts, which is possible.

iTunes or your carrier. There isn't much sense in them including the functionality otherwise.

Quote:

And yes, I believe you will be able to go to Best Buy and purchase a $5000 TV with the phone as early as next July assuming the banks and credit card companies get on board.

Existing implementations put transaction limits on them. I'm not really sure why, it's safer than a mag stripe (not safer than chip card though)

Quote:

Not the same thing! Phones have access to the internet and wireless networks and can be hacked. It's not like i'm swiping a card at a gas station pump.

Where do you think your card number goes after you swipe it?
  • Reply 33 of 33
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

The Tablet That Never Was?

Exactly. Everyone thinking Apple was going to do a 7" and surprise, everyone and their brother starts developing and releasing 7" tablets. As per your suggestion that Apple 'leak' a bunch of features that have no intention of developing in order to get their competitors working like crazy on doing it first. Seems to have already worked in the tablet sector. Apple felt/knew a 7" was not where they wanted to be, so it seems like a great way to convince competitors to waste resources developing really great 7" tablets that consumers will realize are too small.