Apple reposts Mac OS X Server 10.6.5 update, adds mail fix

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple has posted an updated build of Snow Leopard Server Mac OS X 10.6.5, fixing an issue where users were receiving mail intended for others.

Apple released Mac OS X Server 10.6.5 build 10H575 late Monday, after having quietly pulled the previous build, 10H574. Mac OS X Server 10.6.5 was originally released last Wednesday alongside Mac OS X 10.6.5, but users quickly reported issues with the update.

According to Apple, the updated version fixes a flaw where "a user may receive mail intended for other users."

"A memory aliasing issue in Dovecot's handling of user names exists in Mac OS X Server v10.6.5 (10H574). On systems configured with Dovecot as a mail server, a user may receive mail that was intended for other users. This issue is addressed through improved memory management. Dovecot is only provided with Mac OS X Server systems. This issue only affects systems running Mac OS X Server v10.6.5 (10H574). This issue does not affect the Dovecot open source project," reads an article on the security content of the update.

Users who installed the earlier build are advised to update to Monday's updated build. "If you installed Mac OS X Server v10.6.5 (build 10H574), released on November 10, 2010, you should reinstall the Mac OS X Server v10.6.5 Update," wrote Apple in an article on its Support website.

The 858.02MB download is available from the Apple Download site or through Software Update.

The full list of general fixes and improvements in Mac OS X Server 10.6.5, according to Apple, includes:

name queries in Web Calendar match against first name, last name and email attributesÂ*

improved setup of Podcast Producer service when bound to an Active Directory server

preventing Podcast Capture from always storing passwords in keychain

reliability of Web Podcast Capture

stopping Podcast Producer recordings with remote cameras

reliability of connections between Podcast Producer server with remote cameras

Podcast Producer workflows publishing to a wiki page with an Active Directory account

synchronization of audio and video output from Podcast Producer workflows which include intro videos or titling or transitions

use of "-" character in specifying DHCP Subnets with Server Admin

improved Wiki Server connection latency

use of "/" character with Wiki Server mailing lists

configuration of iChat Server when changing host names using changeip

preventing automatic changes to a ".local" domain in iChat Server configuration due to DNS unresponsiveness

importing of iChat accounts with Managed Preferences

preventing network homes being used after mobile accounts enabled

corrections to the iCal Preference Manifest

viewing of IPP print queues with Workgroup Manager

reliability of External Accounts with FAT32 file systems

reliability of applying Managed Preferences to Macs that have been idle

allowing administrators to bypass Managed Preferences at login

improper removal of older updates by Software Update Server

using Server Assistant to setup remote servers

reliability and logging of Mail Server

reliability of Managed Preferences

reliability of Web Server with PHP scripts

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    How many times has Apple switched mail servers in Mac OS X Server?

Dovecot must be mail server flavor of the month.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has posted an updated build of Snow Leopard Server Mac OS X 10.6.5, fixing an issue where users were receiving mail intended for others.

Apple released Mac OS X Server 10.6.5 build 10H575 late Monday, after having quietly pulled the previous build, 10H574. Mac OS X Server 10.6.5 was originally released last Wednesday alongside Mac OS X 10.6.5, but users quickly reported issues with the update.

According to Apple, the updated version fixes a flaw where "a user may receive mail intended for other users."

"A memory aliasing issue in Dovecot's handling of user names exists in Mac OS X Server v10.6.5 (10H574). On systems configured with Dovecot as a mail server, a user may receive mail that was intended for other users. This issue is addressed through improved memory management. Dovecot is only provided with Mac OS X Server systems. This issue only affects systems running Mac OS X Server v10.6.5 (10H574). This issue does not affect the Dovecot open source project," reads an article on the security content of the update.

Users who installed the earlier build are advised to update to Monday's updated build. "If you installed Mac OS X Server v10.6.5 (build 10H574), released on November 10, 2010, you should reinstall the Mac OS X Server v10.6.5 Update," wrote Apple in an article on its Support website.

The 858.02MB download is available from the Apple Download site or through Software Update.

The full list of general fixes and improvements in Mac OS X Server 10.6.5, according to Apple, includes:

name queries in Web Calendar match against first name, last name and email attributes*

improved setup of Podcast Producer service when bound to an Active Directory server

preventing Podcast Capture from always storing passwords in keychain

reliability of Web Podcast Capture

stopping Podcast Producer recordings with remote cameras

reliability of connections between Podcast Producer server with remote cameras

Podcast Producer workflows publishing to a wiki page with an Active Directory account

synchronization of audio and video output from Podcast Producer workflows which include intro videos or titling or transitions

use of "-" character in specifying DHCP Subnets with Server Admin

improved Wiki Server connection latency

use of "/" character with Wiki Server mailing lists

configuration of iChat Server when changing host names using changeip

preventing automatic changes to a ".local" domain in iChat Server configuration due to DNS unresponsiveness

importing of iChat accounts with Managed Preferences

preventing network homes being used after mobile accounts enabled

corrections to the iCal Preference Manifest

viewing of IPP print queues with Workgroup Manager

reliability of External Accounts with FAT32 file systems

reliability of applying Managed Preferences to Macs that have been idle

allowing administrators to bypass Managed Preferences at login

improper removal of older updates by Software Update Server

using Server Assistant to setup remote servers

reliability and logging of Mail Server

reliability of Managed Preferences

reliability of Web Server with PHP scripts

Hello

The article states to reinstall the update, but how do you do that? when I hit software update it states none available and I can not find the update on apples site. Please help.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abirozy View Post

Hello

The article states to reinstall the update, but how do you do that? when I hit software update it states none available and I can not find the update on apples site. Please help.

You didn't look very hard. If you use "apple software updates" as the search parameters at Google (and perhaps other search engines), you will find yourself here:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/

Clearly it's time for you to brush up on your Internet search skills.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

How many times has Apple switched mail servers in Mac OS X Server?

Dovecot must be mail server flavor of the month.

The list from Dovecot most assuredly sheds light on the reason:

http://www.dovecot.org/
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

You didn't look very hard. If you use "apple software updates" as the search parameters at Google (and perhaps other search engines), you will find yourself here:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/

Clearly it's time for you to brush up on your Internet search skills.

Clearly everyone's not as amazingly proficient as you. Clearly.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Ug: I upgraded several servers on the day this was posted?does anybody know approximately what *time* Apple posted this update?

Thanks.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Clearly everyone's not as amazingly proficient as you. Clearly.

I'm not asking people to perform brain surgery or rocket science.

The guy didn't even bother Searching The Fine Web. It's not about me being proficient. It's about that person being utterly lazy.

And I will point out that I actually spoon fed the person the answer. You, on the other hand, provided nothing that has long-term pedagogical value.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

...And I will point out that I actually spoon fed the person the answer...

Very kind of you giving them the answer after insulting them. You are truly a scholar and a gentleman. A tip of my hat to you good sir.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    The user and all related content has been deleted.