RIM demonstrates PlayBook with faster Web browsing than Apple's iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

you're right. you should go buy one right now.

Oh sarcasm.

i'm just congratulating RIM on the very fine rendering engine they use for the web. The funny thing is i believe they got the webkit from Apples open source. If that is true, they are implementing it better than Safari, similar to what Chrome is doing to desktop market with Apples Webkit.

I also like the flash, but the jury is out on it.
  • Reply 42 of 273
    Was the iPad on 3g and the Blackbook on wifi?

Nope, watched it in HD...
  • Reply 43 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Do you guys really believe there's only one good company in the world, and no one else can ever do anything right?

Man, the Mac community ain't what it used to be....

of course not.

but do you really believe anyone is contributing any semblance of original or provocative thought when they say "oh, this is great because competition will make apple better?"

it's a cop-out...a broad statement that nobody in their right mind would disagree with usually made by posters who are meek and non-confrontational. and it's annoying to hear it so frequently
  • Reply 44 of 273
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Do you guys really believe there's only one good company in the world, and no one else can ever do anything right?

Man, the Mac community ain't what it used to be....

An Emperor who cares for nothing but his wardrobe hires two fanboys who promise him the finest suit of clothes from a fabric invisible to anyone who is unfit for his position or "just hopelessly stupid". The Emperor cannot see the cloth himself, but pretends that he can for fear of appearing unfit for his position or stupid; his fanboys do the same. When the fanboys report that the suit is finished, they dress him in mime and the Emperor then marches in procession before his subjects. A child in the crowd calls out that the Emperor is wearing nothing at all and the cry is taken up by others. The Emperor cringes, suspecting the assertion is true, but holds himself up proudly and continues the procession.

Remind you of anyone?
  • Reply 45 of 273
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Faster yes, legible on the small screen - NO
  • Reply 46 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I am going to laugh so amazingly hard when, on the day this thing ships, Apple announces iPad 2.

And now that The Beatles are available, that leaves Tool as the biggest iTunes omission.

WTH? Tool is not on iTunes?
  • Reply 47 of 273
    Why is he typing with his fingernail? Just touch the damn thing!
  • Reply 48 of 273
    If true, that's great. But I still think it is a tough sell against the iPad. iPad gets a lot of things right.
  • Reply 49 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Oh sarcasm.

i'm just congratulating RIM on the very fine rendering engine they use for the web. The funny thing is i believe they got the webkit from Apples open source. If that is true, they are implementing it better than Safari, similar to what Chrome is doing to desktop market with Apples Webkit.

I also like the flash, but the jury is out on it.

sorry. i couldn't pass up the joke.

also, i realize it sounded a lot more rude than the playful sarcasm i intended. my apologies.
  • Reply 50 of 273
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    [QUOTE=halfyearsun;1753638]The fact that a gold master is in the hands of developers would be a significant difference./QUOTE]

I do not necessarily disagree, but the poster said that he only wanted to believe in shipping products, which iOS 4.2 is not.

Quote:

Beyond that, the marketing philosophy behind the playbook borrows from the concepts that created vaporware. Announce a product long before anybody can get a hands on demo (their introduction video didn't even show the real product, it showed renderings) in an attempt to keep people from buying from the competitor.

I am not sure what you mean by "long before." They announced the product (yes, they probably should have had a working demo), a month later they showed a working demo, and they are sticking to their release date of March 2011. The thing is, when it was originally announced many posters claimed either (1) it would never be released or (2) it would be a year before it was released. All indications are it is on schedule, and hence, not vaporware.

I do not see a problem with announcing a product to give people pause in their buying decisions. People can make up their own minds - by or not, do they trust the history of the company.

The original poster backhandedly impugned the reliability and customer service of RIM, which has not been known to have issues with either.
  • Reply 51 of 273
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

So that's it, eh? THAT is what makes one tablet superior to its competitor? Web browsing speed? Are we supposed to forget comparative screen size (45%?), the device's OS, its track record for stability and reliability, its behind-the-scenes infrastructure (iTunes), etc., etc., etc.?

For my money, I'll take Apple and its proven quality/reliability/customer service record over RIM any day of the week.

Oh, and did I neglect to mention . . . THE PLAYBOOK IS VAPORWARE! Got it? V-A-P-O-R-W-A-R-E! It doesn't exist, except in the minds and friendly hands of the RIM engineers and obsequious sales staff! Just wait until grandma and grandchild get ahold of this thing! Just wait. THEN we'll see how fast it runs, IF it runs, WHEN it runs, HOW it runs, and the like.

Damn, but I get tired of Courier Tabs, Slates, Pink Projects, Zune HDs, and more too numerous to mention. Let REAL, SHIPPING, INNOVATIVE PRODUCTS speak for themselves . . . not VAPORWARE!

You seem to completely misunderstand what the term vaporware means. Did you even watch the video? There's a Playbook right there, in the video, and it's not an empty shell or a wooden mockup, it'a a real device which works.

It's also impressively faster than the iPad, which even the most die hard Apple fanatic must find rather impressive. Perhaps for once, fanboys should give non Apple products a chance. You might find that some of them are actually pretty damn good.
  • Reply 52 of 273
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

Faster yes, legible on the small screen - NO

I take it then you find web browsing on an iPhone/Android/Windows Phone totally impossible then?

I manage fine on my iPhone 4, making use that handy pinch to zoom thing. You should try it. I imagine on the much larger Playbook screen it will work even better.
  • Reply 53 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

You seem to completely misunderstand what the term vaporware means. Did you even watch the video? There's a Playbook right there, in the video, and it's not an empty shell or a wooden mockup, it'a a real device which works.

It's also impressively faster than the iPad, which even the most die hard Apple fanatic must find rather impressive. Perhaps for once, fanboys should give non Apple products a chance. You might find that some of them are actually pretty damn good.

What is there is a prototype not the finished product, it is was finished it would be on sale now.

Who knows what tricks RIM pulled to get the device to operate as fast as it appeared to.

Plus who wants a screen so small? It's tiny!
  • Reply 54 of 273
    Hi

Rim can thank Apple for the Webkit. ( why don't you build your own! )

Will not sale, maybe 10,000 at most, just wait for iPad V2 blow Rim away
  • Reply 55 of 273
    Apple has just been punk'd. Get working on the browser, boys!
  • Reply 56 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitWrangler View Post

I won't speak to the performance differences, they are likely using the latest greatest whatever browser whereas the browser on the ipad is getting a bit long in tooth whilst waiting for 4.2 to come out, call me when they test a release version of their browser with whatever is the current ios version when they ship the thing.

What I did want to mention is that gawd awful adidas flash site. All I have to say is thank goodness that mess of a website doesn't come up on the ipad. It's an utter waste of bytes, an wonderful example of "flash" (both literally and figuratively) over function and frankly, good taste. One should note that the iphone version of the site is much nicer but still manages nice graphics and loads way faster (notice the flash animation stuttering along on the playbook, yeah, that gets me excited about flash).

As a developer running 4.2 on iPad I can tell you it appears to be same speed as 3.2. Don't get me wrong. For a mobile device it's very snappy.
  • Reply 57 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I take it then you find web browsing on an iPhone/Android/Windows Phone totally impossible then?

I manage fine on my iPhone 4, making use that handy pinch to zoom thing. You should try it. I imagine on the much larger Playbook screen it will work even better.

I manage great on my iPhone 4 as well, but my iPad is so much better, the 7 inch screen is a cost compromise and users will soon learn that.

There is no need to pinch and zoom on the iPad, web pages a very readable as they are, on a device like the iPad and PlayBook I don't expect to be zooming in and out of the web page all the time to read it, it is nowhere near as nice to use.
  • Reply 58 of 273
    [QUOTE=grking;1753659]
    Quote:

The fact that a gold master is in the hands of developers would be a significant difference./QUOTE]

I do not necessarily disagree, but the poster said that he only wanted to believe in shipping products, which iOS 4.2 is not.

I am not sure what you mean by "long before." They announced the product (yes, they probably should have had a working demo), a month later they showed a working demo, and they are sticking to their release date of March 2011. The thing is, when it was originally announced many posters claimed either (1) it would never be released or (2) it would be a year before it was released. All indications are it is on schedule, and hence, not vaporware.

I do not see a problem with announcing a product to give people pause in their buying decisions. People can make up their own minds - by or not, do they trust the history of the company.

The original poster backhandedly impugned the reliability and customer service of RIM, which has not been known to have issues with either.

Initially announced in september, 1.5 months later they announce a vague price point. two months and nobody has actually touched one yet. if it's not "long before," then it's pushing it.

Plus, they're making a healthy bet that the product won't be delayed.

granted, the poster took a lot of liberty with the term vaporware. but there are some basic philosophies in common.

If RIM has to push the date back, or raise the price, or adjust some specs, they've already got their core consumer base invested in waiting for it and less likely to jump ship. It's successful business, but from a customer service standpoint, it's risky.

the poster (and others like it) are incorrect in straight out labeling it vaporware. but there are enough similarities to raise an eyebrow
  • Reply 59 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

I manage great on my iPhone 4 as well, but my iPad is so much better, the 7 inch screen is a cost compromise and users will soon learn that.

There is no need to pinch and zoom on the iPad, web pages a very readable as they are, on a device like the iPad and PlayBook I don't expect to be zooming in and out of the web page all the time to read it, it is nowhere near as nice to use.

The iPad with retina display will be hard to beat.
  • Reply 60 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Apple has just been punk'd. Get working on the browser, boys!

Agreed. I for one am glad that RIM is announcing all the targets Apple should have for the next iPad.

As if they weren't already working on a faster product.