New Windows 7 ad criticizes Apple's lack of Blu-ray support on Mac

Comments

• Reply 361 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

First off, I doubt that's a real "commercial." It's over a minute long, so it'll never be shown on TV.

Second, where's the part where the iPad or iPhone walks up and says, "physical media, how quaint. I downloaded Toy Story 3 in the airport before the flight."

Ha! That would be a good one. Bring out another Mac & PC commercial.

PC - "Hey Mac, check out the awesome blu-ray drive I have, you can watch full HD movies on your honkin huge laptop while plugged into a power outlet, or watch up to half the movie on battery!"

Mac - "Actually PC, you don't even need a laptop to watch HD movies on the go, if you have an iPad you can download content straight from iTunes that will play at 720p for about half the cost of that blu-ray. Not only can you watch one full length feature movie but 2 if you so choose. It will also sync back to your computer & can be synced up to other devices like an iPod Touch or iPhone & even be played wirelessly to your TV using the AirPlay feature for the AppleTV."

PC - "But it won't be full 720p!"

Mac - (with sarcastic look) "...Touche"
  • Reply 362 of 410
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ASplayer View Post

thats funny, jobs says netbooks are slow, have cramped keyboards, and clunky pc software

well what is the ipad?

too slow to play quality videos in any format, the samsung 1ghz cpu is ment for phones

cramped keyboards? its more cramped to type on a 9.7" screen while stealing half screen realestate

clunky pc software, last time i checked 64bit photoshop ran faster on PC's than it did on OSX,

the eeepc 1015PN being $399 and eeepc 1215N being the same price as the ipad doesnt have a 1080p screen, however it can still play 1080p content and output that over HDMI if you ever need it too (maybe once you arrive at your hotel there is a wall mounted tv there

My iPad plays quality hd content just fine. I assure you that an eeepc does not.
  • Reply 363 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

My iPad plays quality hd content just fine. I assure you that an eeepc does not.

lol what the hell are you talking about?

eeepc 1005PR = 1080p capable - $399

eeepc 1015PN = 1080p capable - $399 w/ hdmi

eeepc 1201T = 1080p capable - $429 w/ hdmi

eeepc 1215t = 1080p capable - $479 w/ hdmi

eeepc 1201N = 1080p capable - $449 w/ hdmi

eeepc 1215PN = 1080p capable - $499 w/ hdmi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXZk-eN9Q2I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG_ewNZYcF8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-cHZ0BZEE8
  • Reply 364 of 410
    Quote:

lol what the hell are you talking about?

eeepc 1005PR = 1080p capable - $399

eeepc 1015PN = 1080p capable - $399 w/ hdmi

eeepc 1201T = 1080p capable - $429 w/ hdmi

eeepc 1215t = 1080p capable - $479 w/ hdmi

eeepc 1201N = 1080p capable - $449 w/ hdmi

eeepc 1215PN = 1080p capable - $499 w/ hdmi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXZk-eN9Q2I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG_ewNZYcF8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-cHZ0BZEE8

eeepcs offer an inferior experience. They do not do anything well. They can hardly even run their OS let alone offer a pleasurable viewing experience.

Stop focusing on bizarre and useless technical specifications and realize that an iPad or MacBook owner is look for more than just paper dreams. We enjoy a superior experience, which Apple delivers.

eeepcs are ghetto and I'm offended that you think I might want one.
  • Reply 365 of 410
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

eeepcs offer an inferior experience. They do not do anything well. They can hardly even run their OS let alone offer a pleasurable viewing experience.

Stop focusing on bizarre and useless technical specifications and realize that an iPad or MacBook owner is look for more than just paper dreams. We enjoy a superior experience, which Apple delivers.

Gotta love those posters who claim something is 1080p capable but then offer no other specs about it¡ Sure, 1080p is capable, but at what bit rate, how many fps, and in what codecs? They don?t seem to understand the difference between technically being capable and being feasible or useable in the real world.
  • Reply 366 of 410
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Really? They haven't? Because I've been using VLC and MakeMKV to play Blu-Ray on my Mac in OS X for a while now.

Jeez, people. Read posts.

Yes, having MakeMKV stream blu-ray to VLC is exactly like having a native player. If I wanted a hackfest like linux I could have saved an assload of money on hardware.

Because here's the fricking HOWTO to play Blu-Ray on OSX with MakeMKV + VLC:
    To play Blu-ray discs under OS X you need four things: A Blu-ray drive (I have an LG in a BYTECC USB2/FW enclosure), Make MKV, VLC (or other streaming-aware app) and a reasonably beefy Mac (quad core works great, but probably requires a 2.8 gHz dual core). It's a bit of a convoluted process, but works nonetheless.

Insert a Blu-ray disc, then after it mounts in the Finder launch Make MKV. After it reads the disc, click on the Open Disc icon and it starts decrypting the disc. This takes about 30 seconds to complete. You're then presented with a list of titles - find the largest as that's likely the movie. Next click on the Make MKV server icon to launch the server, then click on the http link in the server box. This opens a window in your web browser with something like this:

This page is designed to be read by robots, not humans. For this it is a valid xhtml text document with a simple structure. Each page contains exactly one table that in turn contains name-value pairs which may point to other tables (web pages) or files to stream.

This feature is experimental - discs that use seamless branching will likely not work.

name value

version MakeMKV v1.4.10 beta darwin(x86-release)

address 10.0.0.2:51000

titles /web/titles

Click on '/web/titles' to get to the next window:

name value

type Blu-ray disc

name Star Trek Disc 1

titlecount 5

title0 /web/title0

title1 /web/title1

title2 /web/title2

title3 /web/title3

title4 /web/title4

In the case of Star Trek, title2 is the main feature. I click on the title2 link and then get this in a new Firefox tab:

name value

id 2

duration 2:06:50

chaptercount 14

formatcount 2

format0 m2ts

file0 /stream/title2.m2ts

format1 ts

file1 /stream/title2.ts

Click on the link /stream/title2.m2ts and a new tab opens in Firefox with the Quicktime icon. Copy the URL (which for Star Trek on my system is http://10.0.0.5:5100...am/title2.m2ts) and then open VLC, choose File > Open Network and paste the URL into the box, hit return and the movie starts playing.

Unfortunately, VLC doesn't seem to be all that great so you need a really good Mac, probably 2.8 gHz or better with a dual core, or any of the quad cores. MPlayer Extended has great video playback but every time I use it the audio gets out of sync.
    http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/...cs-under-os-x/

Really?
  • Reply 367 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I haven't had the pleasure of flying on a plane with my iPad.

I choose to forgo the pleasure of an airport security check.

It really irritates when the attendant walks out and snaps his rubber gloves...

If it really irritates, you can request latex gloves.
  • Reply 368 of 410
    Quote:

no, OSX doesnt support bluray's encryption methods, windows 7 does.

Mmm...I understand BR wants full chain encryption but Apple has enough of the protected encryption chain to allow for 720p HD content on the mac. One would think that a 3rd party software player might be able to fill in the gaps unless it was somewhere really low level.

Given that blu-ray's copy protection is mostly broken now anyway it seems silly that BR is still making PC playback jump through excessive hoops.
  • Reply 369 of 410
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Mac - "Actually PC, you don't even need a laptop to watch HD movies on the go, if you have an iPad you can download content straight from iTunes that will play at 720p for about half the cost of that blu-ray. Not only can you watch one full length feature movie but 2 if you so choose. It will also sync back to your computer & can be synced up to other devices like an iPod Touch or iPhone & even be played wirelessly to your TV using the AirPlay feature for the AppleTV."

May I ask what country you live in that the highly compressed iTunes HD videos cost half the price of a 1080p Blu-ray? Because looking at the US iTunes store they cost around the same.
  • Reply 370 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why it has to be Apple and as a factory option is what make me scratch my head.

But you answered you own question previously in your post: "... they offer a convenience that matters to people."
  • Reply 371 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Yes, having MakeMKV stream blu-ray to VLC is exactly like having a native player. If I wanted a hackfest like linux I could have saved an assload of money on hardware.

Really?

If you feel that you're better off not having anything at all rather than having something that works, go ahead and live your life that way.

I'll enjoy ripping and watching Blu-ray movies in OS X. Pretty simple.
  • Reply 372 of 410
    Quote:

most mainstream eeepc's give you 10 hours of internet browsing, thats sure better than the 5-6 hours of the macbookair so its [good on batteries]

most eeepc's are no more than 3.5lbs, most being 2.8lbs, thats easier to carry than a regular laptop so its [ultra portable]

most eeepc's 2010 Q2 and on have usb 3 and HDMI, it does this 100% better than the macbookair which has no ports at all making it [easier to transfer data and connect to tvs]

hardly run their os? the D525 Atom dual core cpu [~750ish passmarks) is about the same speed as the SU9400, the stupid core2duo crap they decided to throw in the MBA (~900ish passmarks), for reference a i7 740m is about ~3500 passmarks, they are both slower but still faster than older Pentium 4’s and athlon XP cpus, the atom runs windows 7 64bit ultimate with no problems I would say it runs the OS fine, whats funny is the Asus 1215N is half the price of the macbook air and delivers more frames per second in WoW. By your argument, the macbookair barely runs OSX.

Bizarre tech specs? Which one of the specs I listed was bizarre? Ram capacity? Hard drive? HDMI Ports? USB 3? Which one? If you don’t know what im talking about why are you even replying?

The ipad has a superior experience, lol which is more superior to you?

\tA 9.7” not even 720P screen (1024x768 resolution is not as good as 1366x768)

\tA 72” LED LCD TV with 7.1 surround hooked up to an Asus 1215PN via HDMI

The eeepc ghetto? Again, by your logic macbooks and the ipad are super ghetto then with all your adapters and dongles screwing up your minimalistic setup, with the ipad, I cant even drag and drop an mkv file and play it without voiding my warranty (you have to jail break it and even then its freaking ridiculous you have to SSH into the damn thing to copy files)

Your viewpoint is so narrow and ignorant its ridiculous, your basically saying the 36 million people that bought net books this year all hate their device (why would that many people buy the product then if it sucked?)

Quote:

Mmm...I understand BR wants full chain encryption but Apple has enough of the protected encryption chain to allow for 720p HD content on the mac. One would think that a 3rd party software player might be able to fill in the gaps unless it was somewhere really low level.

Given that blu-ray's copy protection is mostly broken now anyway it seems silly that BR is still making PC playback jump through excessive hoops.

You realize that blurays will play at 720p on an unencrypted connection such as component video? You wont get DTS master audio or dolby HD either on optical.

Basically apple has nothing in place because no protection = 720p

Quote:

If you feel that you're better off not having anything at all rather than having something that works, go ahead and live your life that way.

That’s a lot of work and hours of transcoding, not very simple to me at all, I can transcode and rip on a fast machine but for every movie I have? Damn no thanks, that’s months worth of encoding on 8 cores.
  • Reply 373 of 410
    Quote:

You were castigating me for asking why someone didn't make a non-asinine way of doing blu-ray playback...also known as "inserting disc and pressing play" because I didn't read the thread.

I read the posts and I already knew there is a freetarded way to do blu-ray playback on the mac. If I wanted freetarded computing where streaming blu-ray via a url and manually picking the largest file to cut and paste into VLC is a "solution" I could be running linux...because that's exactly the dumb assed way you playback blu-rays on linux without ripping.

Claiming that MakeMKV+FLV is valid blu-ray playback option for most apple users is just stupid and misleading.

I'll enjoy inserting a blu-ray into my current blu-ray player and pressing play thanks. That's pretty simple.

Ripping long assed Blu-Rays to HDD or using MakeMKV in streaming mode is currently anything BUT pretty simple.
  • Reply 374 of 410
    Quote:

You realize that blurays will play at 720p on an unencrypted connection such as component video? You wont get DTS master audio or dolby HD either on optical.

Basically apple has nothing in place because no protection = 720p

The analog hole is being sunsetted and it provides 1080 via component, not 720. Without encryption you don't get 720p...you get 480i or 576i. Even with current gear once image constraint tokens are enabled.

And Apple DOES have things in place for 720p HD iTunes downloads including HDCP.
  • Reply 375 of 410
    Quote:

The analog hole is being sunsetted and it provides 1080 via component, not 720. Without encryption you don't get 720p...you get 480i or 576i. Even with current gear once image constraint tokens are enabled.

And Apple DOES have things in place for 720p HD iTunes downloads including HDCP.

well actaully i looked this up

its 1080i over component, or 540p

no surround, only L/R audio

dvd's are limited to 480p over component

however on paper component can handle 1080p easily just like VGA can handle 2048x1536, just encryption isnt supported
  • Reply 376 of 410
    Quote:

Your viewpoint is so narrow and ignorant its ridiculous, your basically saying the 36 million people that bought net books this year all hate their device (why would that many people buy the product then if it sucked?)

Because they're cheap. Those people have since realized they made a bad decision. The netbook market is drying up. A year from now there will be no such thing as a netbook.

Eeepcs are ghetto. Nobody wants one. If given a choice they would pick a real computer or a tablet every time.

IPad for the win, again.
  • Reply 377 of 410
    Quote:

well actaully i looked this up

its 1080i over component, or 540p

no surround, only L/R audio

dvd's are limited to 480p over component

however on paper component can handle 1080p easily just like VGA can handle 2048x1536, just encryption isnt supported

I'm glad you pointed out the previous error about Blu-ray letting 720p video through the "analog hole" of component video. It is 540p, but I didn't know it could be 1080i, though 540p/60 and 1080i/60 are the same amount of data rate or information.

Though, I know it's actually 540p/24, (quarter resolution 960x540). How would 1080i/24 work? Would the player actually somehow convert that to 1080p/24 to 1080i at 60 field per second? Or would it be 1080i/48, still never heard of that either, but 1080i/24 (24 fields per second) would be so slow that you would see combing effects?

I think the output is probably just 540p/24. Tell me if I'm wrong and the player converts the 1080p/24 to 1080i/60.

Also, component video can handle 1080p at any rate (it's analog, it's the TV/monitor or display that cares about the refresh rate).

Yes virtually all DVDs are 720x480 video (actually everyone I've ever seen or hear of), exactly one sixth of 1920x1080 blu-ray resolution. And it's always non-square pixels. It's anamorphic, either squished to 4:3 or stretched to 16:9, if you actually watched a DVD at 720x480 square pixels (on a computer monitor) people would look skinny or fat for 16:9 or 4:3, respectively.
  • Reply 378 of 410
    Quote:

Because here's the fricking HOWTO to play Blu-Ray on OSX with MakeMKV + VLC:
    To play Blu-ray discs under OS X you need four things: A Blu-ray drive (I have an LG in a BYTECC USB2/FW enclosure), Make MKV, VLC (or other streaming-aware app) and a reasonably beefy Mac (quad core works great, but probably requires a 2.8 gHz dual core). It's a bit of a convoluted process, but works nonetheless.

Insert a Blu-ray disc, then after it mounts in the Finder launch Make MKV. After it reads the disc, click on the Open Disc icon and it starts decrypting the disc. This takes about 30 seconds to complete. You're then presented with a list of titles - find the largest as that's likely the movie. Next click on the Make MKV server icon to launch the server, then click on the http link in the server box. This opens a window in your web browser with something like this:

This page is designed to be read by robots, not humans. For this it is a valid xhtml text document with a simple structure. Each page contains exactly one table that in turn contains name-value pairs which may point to other tables (web pages) or files to stream.

This feature is experimental - discs that use seamless branching will likely not work.

name value

version MakeMKV v1.4.10 beta darwin(x86-release)

address 10.0.0.2:51000

titles /web/titles

Click on '/web/titles' to get to the next window:

name value

type Blu-ray disc

name Star Trek Disc 1

titlecount 5

title0 /web/title0

title1 /web/title1

title2 /web/title2

title3 /web/title3

title4 /web/title4

In the case of Star Trek, title2 is the main feature. I click on the title2 link and then get this in a new Firefox tab:

name value

id 2

duration 2:06:50

chaptercount 14

formatcount 2

format0 m2ts

file0 /stream/title2.m2ts

format1 ts

file1 /stream/title2.ts

Click on the link /stream/title2.m2ts and a new tab opens in Firefox with the Quicktime icon. Copy the URL (which for Star Trek on my system is http://10.0.0.5:5100...am/title2.m2ts) and then open VLC, choose File > Open Network and paste the URL into the box, hit return and the movie starts playing.

Unfortunately, VLC doesn't seem to be all that great so you need a really good Mac, probably 2.8 gHz or better with a dual core, or any of the quad cores. MPlayer Extended has great video playback but every time I use it the audio gets out of sync.
    http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/...cs-under-os-x/

Really?

Thanks nht for the info on how to play Blu-ray directly, I've seen seamless branching Blu-ray Discs (do you mean many separate .m2ts files for a single title?). I've only seen MakeMKV v1.6.2, that's what I've been using and it puts together these separate files into one title, sometimes two big titles, one regular and one with the extra video pane of added info into the movie itself. So, would this method work with MakeMKV v1.6.2 directly for multiple .m2ts files?

Maybe I'll try it, if I run across another BD with separate video files for the Main Title. Avatar has one 44,897,476,608 byte .m2ts file (44.8 GB). Only have I seen one movie, "Iron Man 2" have multiple .m2ts files, the largest being 4.2 GB, and I can't find it at the moment.

It's still interesting that the playable .m2ts file on the hard drive and the .m2ts file one the Avatar Blu-ray Disc are exactly 44,897,476,608 bytes. But the seemingly exact file won't play from the disc directly like from the hard drive. I know it's because the file has been decrypted when copied to the hard drive, but ends up being the exact same 44,897,476,608 bytes? It's interesting that encryption doesn't add a single byte to a nearly 45 Billion bytes (or over a third of a TRILLION bits), it's just the key that plays the file bits in a different order? I'll have to study up on this...
  • Reply 379 of 410
    Quote:

That?s a lot of work and hours of transcoding, not very simple to me at all, I can transcode and rip on a fast machine but for every movie I have? Damn no thanks, that?s months worth of encoding on 8 cores.

No, not really. I say that from experience.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gatortpk View Post

Thanks nht for the info on how to play Blu-ray directly,

It's my info; he's fighting against it, so you're not going to get any help from him.

Really what you need to do is just rip the disks and make them MP4 files to throw in iTunes. It's what I do, and it's far better quality than the crap available for purchase on iTunes.
  • Reply 380 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

PC - "But it won't be full 720p!"

"

Nobody cares about specs. The iPad is the best way to watch videos.