The Beatles catalog comes to Apple's iTunes

Comments

• Reply 281 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

more in the "meh" line, but then, without the beatles, george harrison would have never made enough money to finance "the life of brian"... So: Yay!

Very good point indeed
  • Reply 282 of 377
    So... when is the big announcement gonna come? You know, that one they said was supposed to be today?
  • Reply 283 of 377
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    It is a great announcement. All you self righteous a-holes with your misguided sense of entitlement nobody told you that the announcement was gonna excite each and everyone of you. All that was promised was that it would be a day you'll never forget and IMO whether you're happy or disappointed Apple delivered on that promise. SJ is a Beatles fanboy, get over it.
  • Reply 284 of 377
    Well I for one am really pleased to see the Beatles on iTunes and can't understand all the negative Apple reaction ... Just downloading now the complete set to the imac ready for streaming to the Apple TV ... Thanks Steve ... Glad that the fab four are finally onboard!
  • Reply 285 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zuriel View Post

Seriously, I could have went down the street to the dollar store and gotten any Beatles album...

You could also take the CD you bought for a dollar, insert it into your computer and have iTunes rip it! This announcement was no announcement...
  • Reply 286 of 377
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    And it sucked so bad, there are what 8, 9 10 pages of comments?

There aren't many bands that don't owe something to the Beatles and bands that followed after them.

And most of that great music is now available on iTunes, yes it is a great day. Another wall of sorts has been knocked down.

Skip

PS It will be hard for Steve and company to get folks to excited in the near future because of this LOW key announcement.
  • Reply 287 of 377
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    press over the years. And a ton of comments here today.

Hell Rick Wakeman (the keyboardist for Yes), has done 97 Albums solo, and ANOTHER 34 with Yes, and other band. That's what, some 130+- Albums and no big deal about him.

Hell that might be some kind of record (sorry about the pun there).

Skip
  • Reply 288 of 377
    What else is not important?

Nirvana (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Cobain): The Beatles were an early and lasting influence on Cobain; his aunt Mari remembers him singing "Hey Jude" at the age of two."My aunts would give me Beatles records," Cobain told Jon Savage in 1993, "so for the most part [I listened to] the Beatles [as a child], and if I was lucky, I'd be able to buy a single." Cobain expressed a particular fondness for John Lennon, whom he called his "idol" in his posthumously-released journals, and he admitted that he wrote the song "About a Girl," from Nirvana 1989 debut album Bleach, after spending three hours listening to Meet the Beatles.

Oasis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oasis_(band): Oasis were most heavily influenced by The Beatles, an influence which was frequently labelled as an "obsession" by the British media.

Others (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bea...ular_culture):

Other artists having a Beatlesque musical style

The Redwalls

The Apples in Stereo

Blur

Coldplay

The Jam

Klaatu

Cheap Trick

The Chords

Crowded House

Downhere

Michael Jackson

The Doors

Locksley

Simian

The Smithereens

The Smiths

The Verve

Tears for Fears

The Knickerbockers

Emitt Rhodes

Les Fradkin on his two George Harrison tribute CD's: Something for George and Love You 2

Harpers Bizarre

Jet

Snow Patrol

Travis

The Bangles

Nirvana (band)

Elliott Smith

Splitsville, particularly on their Beatles/Beach Boys tribute, The Complete Pet Soul

Tally Hall

Czerwone Gitary

The Eraserheads

Orange and Lemons

The Aerovons[18]

Rooney

Led Zeppelin

Tori Amos credits The Beatles for her decision to abandon becoming a concert pianist and embracing rock instead. She has performed many concert covers of The Beatles including "Let It Be", "Something", "With a Little Help from My Friends", "She's Leaving Home" and "Imagine."

Queen

The Vines

House of Heroes

the brilliant green

Panic At The Disco

Relient K

The Young Veins created in 2009 by former Panic! at the Disco band members.

Green Day, particularly the song "Last Night On Earth" off their 2009 album, 21st Century Breakdown.

Stone Temple Pilots, particularly the song "Lady Picture Show."

The Pillows

U2
  • Reply 289 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barton springs View Post

Sarek,

This announcement today will be more significant the older and older a person is. For many of us out here this is absolutely huge. No matter if we even buy the tunes or not. The Beatles had such an impact it may not be easy to understand by a lot of people that didn't grow up in the 60's and 70's. Now this move to iTunes will surely effect how some bands choose to go digital or to offer up songs on iTunes.

Have a fantastic day

Rick in Austin

Exactly!

I am not going to buy any of this. But it is so symbolic - one of the most significant and influencial groups of 20th century coming to the iTunes, or should I say to digital world (officially). (And I don't care that there were special USBs...).
  • Reply 290 of 377
    Ugh I'm kind of pissed off this was the BIG announcement. I mean, Beatles aren't even that artistic for christ sake! They are just a boy band that never lost their fan base. Their music is pretty basic and lyrics are pretty nonsensical most of the time. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying they suck just that there are way more talented artists that iTunes has had on their roster for a long long time i.e. John Coltrane, Jimi Hendrix, B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Miles Davis etc. But I don't a huge fanfare for them when they came to the store or when they get a new album released. Beatles is just one band, I understand Steve likes them but seriously way to let people down and piss people off. I'm not interested in the flipping Beatles. Definitely one of the most overrated bands in existence.
  • Reply 291 of 377
    Prescinding temporarily for the moment from what either your own musical or business interests/preferences are, several facts are undeniable:

1) Serious students of music of nearly every genre continue to study the work of the Beatles for many reasons including but not limited to their use of song form and compositional (melodic) brilliance.

2) Professors of English and/or Composition require some of Lennon & McCartney's lyrics to be studied by college students in college anthologies or textbooks illustrating poetry (or lyric) as an art form along with work from William Shakespeare, Walt Whitman, and countless others.

(In fact, some would even include a few of Harrison's lyrics, for example, "Here Comes the Sun".)

3) In whatever field, great art transcends epochs or historical time periods. For instance, one small example would be that some of the finest work of the Beatles often is comprised of a lyric and a melody that in and of themselves can stand apart from each other.

When you then consider the marriage of the lyric and melody with each other you know you are in the presence of genius.

4) The Beatles both understood, mastered, then executed song form. Their individual and collegial (collaborative) gifts as musicians and artists enabled them to produce a body of work that not only endures, but perdures.

5) As with William Shakespeare or even Stephen Sondheim, the Beatles are certainly not everyone's "cup of tea". But that does not subtract from the genius that their particular body of work represents, depicts, or "illustrates" as evidenced not only by continued interest in and enjoyment of their work, but also how many have "covered" their music.

In conclusion, maybe we can leave it to students of business or marketing to analyze the strategy, motive, or even effectiveness of this joint decision. Or we can leave it to ourselves at this site or in other forums.

But let us not confuse or equate whatever our beliefs or opinions are about this decision with that perduring body of work left to us by four young men from Liverpool known as the Beatles.
  • Reply 292 of 377
    umijinumijin Posts: 133member
    Where's my iOS 4.2 for iPad?
  • Reply 293 of 377
    Does any one thinks about how many hard work for Apple was it to get it to iTunes?

And let me ask - what should it has been in order not to disappoint so many people? Tell me! And if you think that the word "exciting" used in a text on Apple's side was an exaggeration - you misinterpret then what the magical revaluation is, boom.

Of course there are many other, and even (arguably) more talented, bands. Were and are they so influential.

Not a fan and don't have any songs (CD or mp3/flac).

And I still think this is a great news - after years bringing it to digital world.

P.S. For those of you who say that this news is worse than if it would have been a 4.2 for their iPads - let me tell "one more thing": a new iPad (2nd generation) is coming soon. You didn't know it? "That's so simple", even you could have guessed it....

P.P.S. Just listens to a couple of previews. Such great music, so good memories.

Of course All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

And knowing it, I am still continuing to enjoy them.
  • Reply 294 of 377
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Big deal. Who actually buys music anymore, especially music full of DRM?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Untrue. I recently bought a music video just to see if it was locked down and it was.

You sheep missed the point. DRM or not, no one buys music anymore.

The people who buy music are the people who enjoy music and are mature enough to realize that if artists, producers, janitors, etc do not get paid, many (not all) people will simply stop making music. Most people still believe that people who do good work deserve to be compensated for it. You have the right to feel differently, the rest of us have the right to recognize you for what you are.
  • Reply 295 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

The people who buy music are the people who enjoy music and are mature enough to realize that if artists, producers, janitors, etc do not get paid, many (not all) people will simply stop making music. Most people still believe that people who do good work deserve to be compensated for it. You have the right to feel differently, the rest of us have the right to recognize you for what you are.

Exactly. They just steal...

And all haters, and all negative people and their comments....

"Let THEM be".
  • Reply 296 of 377
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

What a waste of time, any genuine fan would already own the god damn cd's, stupid shitty announcement!

This will probably come of as a personal "attack" on your post, but I don't mean it that way .... let me explain.

When I think of The Beatles I think of the type of music they made. We all know how successful and influential they were. We all know how they would "push the envelope' in their recording techniques .... the various instruments they would use, the chord structure ... the whole idea of a "concept album" that today we take for granted .... but what I remember the most, for the most part, is the constant theme of love, peace and happiness. From the "bed-in" in Toronto, to the many meaningful positive messages in their songs, they almost always championed peace and love.

From "Something":

Something in her smile she knows

That I don't need no other lover.

Something in her style that shows me

I don't want to leave her now

You know I believe and how.

"The Word"

Say the word and you'll be free

Say the word and be like me

Say the word I'm thinking of

Have you heard the word is love?

It's so fine, It's sunshine

It's the word, love

In the beginning I misunderstood

But now I've got it, the word is good

Fast forward to some top selling songs of today

Lil Wayne .... "Right Above It "

Now tell me how you love it

You know you at the top when only heaven?s right above it

We on

It?s Young Money, motherfucker

If you ain?t runnin? wit it, run from it, motherfucker, all right

Now somebody show some money in this bitch

And I got my B?s with me like some honey in this bitch, ya dig?

I got my gun in my boo purse

And I don?t bust back, because I shoot first

Obviously, this is just an example and I'm sure that if I looked hard enough I could find "positive message" songs today as well.

But it seems to me that today a large portion of the popular media glorifies anger, violence and a whole raft of negative messages, and this is being soaked up by the young consumers.

Case in point ... your post.

There were 3 possible replies you could have made to the Beatles story today:

One: You are not interested in them being on iTunes ... so no reply at all.

Two: still not interested so post a reply that says , essentially, not for me but if you like them, go for it.

Three: your post ... "What a waste of time, any genuine fan would already own the god damn cd's, stupid shitty announcement!"

It's interesting (and sad) to me, that out of two positive and one negative, and obviously angry, replies ... you would choose the negative.

My mother, bless her soul, always told me .... that if you can't say something nice ... don't say anything at all. I never realized, until after she was gone, just how important that philosophy was.

What's really sad to me is that you are probably in the majority, in this day and age ... truly a sad commentary on or society, as a whole. \
  • Reply 297 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreadkid08 View Post

Ugh I'm kind of pissed off this was the BIG announcement. I mean, Beatles aren't even that artistic for christ sake! They are just a boy band that never lost their fan base. Their music is pretty basic and lyrics are pretty nonsensical most of the time.

Please listen Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, White Album, Abbey Road before you say this.
  • Reply 298 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cranberry View Post

Please listen Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, White Album, Abbey Road before you say this.

Just don't ask him to read the lyrics...
  • Reply 299 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Just don't ask him to read the lyrics...

I am thirty-something and not able to witness the Beatles in 60'. But being a guitarist (with poor skill) and music lover, I can say their songs are one of the greatest cultural inheritance.

By viewing all negative comments here, probably some of them were born in 80' or even 90', I understand the meaning of Beatles in iTunes now.
  • Reply 300 of 377
    by dropping the price of its beatles studio cd's to $7.99, white album, $11.99. nice comeback. really interested in the ambivalent relationship btwn apple and amazon.