Apple obtained exclusive rights to Beatles over Google, Amazon

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple reportedly beat out rivals Google and Amazon in securing the exclusive digital rights to the back catalog of The Beatles on iTunes through 2011.

The New York Post reported Wednesdsay that Google and Amazon were also involved in negotiations to secure the rights to the digital catalog of the Beatles in their own stores. But in the end, Apple offered the band and its label, EMI, the best deal for bringing the content to iTunes.

The deal was reportedly spearheaded by EMI CEO Roger Faxon, who convinced the parent company of the Beatles, Apple Corps Ltd., to relent on its longstanding opposition to digital music sales. The three parties then engaged in "rapid" negotiations by the end of summer.

The exclusive agreement, which was planned to be announced the week before the holiday shopping season begins, is an exclusive deal through 2011.

"Who else are they (The Beatles) going to do a deal with?" one anonymous executive reportedly said. "Apple dominates the digital market."

Beatles songs went on sale on iTunes on Tuesday, with the band's debut celebrated with a hyped announcement from Apple. Prior to the launch, Apple on Monday teased an "exciting announcement" related to iTunes would be revealed the following day.

The songs were immediately strong sellers, with the iTunes LP for "Abbey Road" at No. 7 on the iTunes album charts as of Wednesday morning. The self-titled white album came in at No. 8, while "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" was No. 10.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple reportedly beat out rivals Google and Amazon in securing the exclusive digital rights to the back catalog of The Beatles on iTunes through 2011.

The New York Post reported Wednesdsay that Google and Amazon were also involved in negotiations to secure the rights to the digital catalog of the Beatles in their own stores. But in the end, Apple offered the band and its label, EMI, the best deal for bringing the content to iTunes.

The deal was reportedly spearheaded by EMI CEO Roger Faxon, who convinced the parent company of the Beatles, Apple Corps Ltd., to relent on its longstanding opposition to digital music sales. The three parties then engaged in "rapid" negotiations by the end of summer.

The exclusive agreement, which was planned to be announced the week before the holiday shopping season begins, is an exclusive deal through 2011.

"Who else are they (The Beatles) going to do a deal with?" one anonymous executive reportedly said. "Apple dominates the digital market."

Beatles songs went on sale on iTunes on Tuesday, with the band's debut celebrated with a hyped announcement from Apple. Prior to the launch, Apple on Monday teased an "exciting announcement" related to iTunes would be revealed the following day.

The songs were immediately strong sellers, with the iTunes LP for "Abbey Road" at No. 7 on the iTunes album charts as of Wednesday morning. The self-titled white album came in at No. 8, while "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" was No. 10.

<yawn> So Apple paid more for the catalog, and got a few months of exclusive.
  • Reply 2 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bill-G View Post

While I appreciate how legendary this band and its set of people and their musical work has been over the decades, old music is old music, meh.
  • Reply 3 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

While I appreciate how legendary this band and its set of people and their musical work has been over the decades, old music is old music, meh.

Me, I'll be excited when they release the entire Pinetop Perkins discography.
  • Reply 4 of 117
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    is this like the NY Times best seller list where the publishers buy up copies of their books to get it on the list for the herd mentality?
  • Reply 5 of 117
    Actually the old music is best imho...

Alot of crap these days, my favourite tracks are mostly old.
  • Reply 6 of 117
    Good thing Apple paid big bucks to get exclusive rights for digital distribution for a whole year more. Gee, we've only had access to Beatles albums/tapes/CDs for 47 years.

But, nice tribute to the band anyway Apple. I am a fan!

-Bleep
  • Reply 7 of 117
    Quote:

Speak for yourself. The Beatles are timeless. At least their later work, anyway.
  • Reply 8 of 117
    Quote:

No offense, but it's this attitude towards music that is very meh. Obviously you are not a true music lover if it has to be current to be considered valuable to you. I don't agree that the only good music is old music, but there is great music created at all times, not just today. Also, people had a very different attitude towards music in the 60s and 70s. Different standards. This doesn't make it better, but does make it very interesting to a real music lover.

Anyway, I don't think this is such a big deal, and it's kind of sad to me that Apple made such a big deal like this would change people's lives. You could easily download illegal mp3s of ripped cds before. I think the remastering sounds pretty good though, and I'm glad they have reformatted the tracks subtly to work better in digital formats.
  • Reply 9 of 117
    The news that Apple has brought The Beatles to iTunes is great news but people on this forum have seen fit to trash Steve and Apple for it. Apple is the coolest computer company in the world and it's only fitting that now Apple is the *exclusive seller* of the coolest band's (of all time!) digital music on iTunes.

I have to think that you are all Apple fans or else you wouldn't care enough to be on this forum and this latest news is a great thing for Apple and very very cool. At the very least try to appreciate the coolness of this move by Steve to be cutting edge and be the first to get rights to The Beatles music over all the others like Google and Amazon.

Have a beautiful day

Rick in Austin
  • Reply 10 of 117
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    This is not intended for the people who already have all the CDs, it's intended for a new generation who don't have the CDs, anyone with half a brain could see that but I suspect all the bitchy comments will keep coming regardless. I bet their songs/albums will dominate the iTunes charts over the next few weeks & months as MILLIONS of people update their back catalogue.
  • Reply 11 of 117
    So this is what Steve meant when he said Apple was only going to spend their BILLIONS in CASH on "big things"?
  • Reply 12 of 117
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    So THAT'S what Steve has been saving all those billions for! What is their balance now?
  • Reply 13 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barton springs View Post

The news that Apple has brought The Beatles to iTunes is great news but people on this forum have seen fit to trash Steve and Apple for it. Apple is the coolest computer company in the world and it's only fitting that now Apple is the *exclusive seller* of the coolest band's (of all time!) digital music on iTunes.

I have to think that you are all Apple fans or else you wouldn't care enough to be on this forum and this latest news is a great thing for Apple and very very cool. At the very least try to appreciate the coolness of this move by Steve to be cutting edge and be the first to get rights to The Beatles music over all the others like Google and Amazon.

Have a beautiful day

Rick in Austin

I agree Rick...A lot of negative people on these boards. I get tired of their bilious remarks, too!

Best.
  • Reply 14 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

So this is what Steve meant when he said Apple was only going to spend their BILLIONS in CASH on "big things"?

Haha good one!

I too am underwhelmed by these news.
  • Reply 15 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But in the end, Apple offered the band and its label, EMI, the best deal for bringing the content to iTunes.

So much for Apple's cash reserve of 50 billion!

/

/

/
  • Reply 16 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vincentagniello View Post

No offense, but it's this attitude towards music that is very meh. Obviously you are not a true music lover if it has to be current to be considered valuable to you. I don't agree that the only good music is old music, but there is great music created at all times, not just today. Also, people had a very different attitude towards music in the 60s and 70s. Different standards. This doesn't make it better, but does make it very interesting to a real music lover.

Anyway, I don't think this is such a big deal, and it's kind of sad to me that Apple made such a big deal like this would change people's lives. You could easily download illegal mp3s of ripped cds before. I think the remastering sounds pretty good though, and I'm glad they have reformatted the tracks subtly to work better in digital formats.

I would guess as high as 90% of people don't know how to download such material.
  • Reply 17 of 117
    As I was poking around the web yesterday after the announcement, I came upon this factoid:
    • For the decade from 2000-2009, the Beatles sold over 30 million albums. There was only one other artist who sold more during that period (Eminem).

• They had the number one selling album during that time period.

I wouldn't underestimate the value of having the Beatles in iTunes.
  • Reply 18 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bill-G View Post

Nobody knows what Apple is paying. It could have been the same thing, or even less than what was being offered by Amazon or Google. Apple did have the advantage of customer base, and surely that meant a lot to Apple Corps. Apple could have given them a sales minimum as well, or even advance bulk payment (which would have been especially tempting for EMI which is reportedly in need of some quick cash), and with Apple's credit, they could afford to do so without worrying about cash flow.

To assume that Apple paid more shows a certain amount of ignorance.
  • Reply 19 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

This is not intended for the people who already have all the CDs, it's intended for a new generation who don't have the CDs, anyone with half a brain could see that but I suspect all the bitchy comments will keep coming regardless. I bet their songs/albums will dominate the iTunes charts over the next few weeks & months as MILLIONS of people update their back catalogue.

You wouldn't have "bitchy" comments had this been announced years ago... Especially from the 'Coolest Band' in the world that would sing "the word is love" and bed sleep-in's for 'give peace a chance', when in actuality, it was 'money, that's what I want' all along! Beatles Corp greed helped in part with the demise of the band, and Beatles Corp greed delayed digital launch! I think we have a right to be "bitchy" regarding this and dare I say from these hypocrites.

Instant Karma my a$$!
  • Reply 20 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vincentagniello View Post

Also, people had a very different attitude towards music in the 60s and 70s.

Yeah, we believed in melody.